1L in-house to 2L outside counsel? Possible? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L in-house to 2L outside counsel? Possible?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:05 am

Rising 2L at a T14. I'm working in the GC's office of a pretty cool company for the summer - they don't hire law students directly, but they retain a well-known biglaw firm as outside counsel. The attorneys I've been working with have said they'll try to get me some face time/contact with outside counsel during the summer, and I'm curious if anyone knows other law students who may have played a situation like this into a callback or offer.

Other key info:
- Grades are a bit below median. Not sure how much below. For the sake of argument, let's say that 60% of the class is better off than me GPA-wise, and 40% is worse off.
- This firm does come to my school's OCI. Based on career services' #'s, they've historically offered students with a somewhat higher GPA than mine (median or slightly above, on average).
- The company is in a specialized industry, they hire outside counsel b/c of a strong practice area in this specialty, and I ultimately want to practice in this field.

Anyone have any success stories (or big-time letdown stories) with scenarios like this? Can a quality reference from a client compensate for my mediocre-to-bad GPA?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L in-house to 2L outside counsel? Possible?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Anyone? Just hoping for some advice on this situation.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”