HYS - Does location matter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HYS - Does location matter?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:23 am

Let's say, for example, a student at S knew they wanted to work/live on the east coast.

1) Would there be any benefit in transferring to H/Y?

2) Would H/Y be likely to consider this a compelling reason to transfer?

3) Also, do lateral transfer applicants in the HYS tier stand at a disadvantage because it's peer schools would prefer to allow others from lower ranked schools to improve their career prospects?

lolol10

Re: HYS - Does location matter?

Postby lolol10 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say, for example, a student at S knew they wanted to work/live on the east coast.

3) Also, do lateral transfer applicants in the HYS tier stand at a disadvantage because it's peer schools would prefer to allow others from lower ranked schools to improve their career prospects?

1. youd be a blue blood. your children will have a better life on the eastern seaboard. they can brag to all their friends their parent is ivy.

2. if you have good grades they wont give a pewp. they want to make good investments in their admits.

3. being the embodiment of both H and Y i say no. you find better reason, and you find now!! seriously your from a t3 ls. stanford carries weight whereever you go. granted making connections east side is easier if youre on the ec...i can tell youve deduced this already though. so in all honesty i think that would be a fairly compelling reason...idk why you would want to leave the west cost though... does the ellipsis bother you?...

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say, for example, a student at S knew they wanted to work/live on the east coast.

1. No, not unless they wanted to be at H or Y for personal reasons. Job prospects aren't going to be better in NY/DC just because you moved to a school that is closer.

2. Probably not. Personally I think it's a dumb reason/you should've thought of this before committing to S.

3. What? You're asking if HYS rejects candidates from better schools to help people from "lower schools to improve their career prospects"? No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:59 pm

1. Nope. You'd have a bit more of a network out of H/Y, which is an advantage (although less so than if you'd started at H/Y as a 1L). But, you'd be a bit more of a rare commodity out of S, which will work in your favor. Neither alone would probably be significant enough to make a difference, and in conjunction these two considerations definitely balance out. How you do at S (grade and EC-wise) is going to be about 60% of how easily you find an east coast job, and your personality is going to be the remaining 40%. Note that if you're at all considering clerking or something where your relationships with your profs matter, transfering to H/Y could actually be pretty destructive to that goal.

2. I don't think H/Y care that much why you want to transfer there from S, but to the extent that they do care, I doubt they'll find this to be particularly compelling.

3. No. I would guess you stand at a pretty significant advantage.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Shut up and count your blessings.

bikepilot

Postby bikepilot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 pm

I think the only advantage would be that being on the east coast would make networking and interviewing on the east coast simpler. I doubt that most major east coast employers would automatically chose a HY student over an S student all else equal, in fact I suspect the opposite is true as so many H and Y students tend to stay on the east coast and a lot of firms want some diversity in this respect.

One thing to consider is that transfers are usually at a slight disadvantage compared to other students and usually can't compete on moot court, be on law review etc. If you are in at Stanford or a 1L at Stanford I'd suggest making the most of it, get on law review if possible and enjoy the lovely bay area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:35 am

OP here, thanks for the replies.

As noted in the thread, I was considering the logistical burdens that would be solved by attending a law school near the location in which I wish to practice i.e. interviews, networking, etc.

It is interesting that some do not believe H/Y will consider this a compelling reason, given the expense of cross-country interview trips, etc.

Any other input?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks for the replies.

As noted in the thread, I was considering the logistical burdens that would be solved by attending a law school near the location in which I wish to practice i.e. interviews, networking, etc.

It is interesting that some do not believe H/Y will consider this a compelling reason, given the expense of cross-country interview trips, etc.

Any other input?

What expense? Unless you're participating in job fairs where you'd end up footing the bill, employers visit you during OCI then pay for expenses when you fly out for callback interviews.

Return to “Legal Employment”