Drastic rise in grades?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drastic rise in grades?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Went from above median to now a little above top third probably after a solid spring semester.

Will this rise in grades speak for itself, or will people ask about it? If they do, what do I say? The truth is, I think I just learned to write better exams. I didn't work any harder. I just don't want to give an answer that makes it seem like I slacked first semester.

Anonymous User

Re: Drastic rise in grades?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Very interested in hearing input on this topic. Bumped my GPA .46 and should hopefully be top 1/3. Any advice and tips on how to address this in interviews? Any anecdotal evidence from folks who got hired because of high 2nd semester grades, i.e., employers overlooked lower cumulative GPA after great recovery/bump?

Anonymous User

Re: Drastic rise in grades?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 pm

That's not such a drastic jump. You were already above 50%, now you are above 66% - it is nice, shows you kept working, are progressing, etc, but nothing massive. Sure they'll ask, that's what they do in interviews, ask about your transcript, experience, etc. All you have to say is what you said here, and it's probably what they figure anyway. Going from below median to top 5% would be more dramatic, but honestly, they all did law school, too, they know how these things happen

Return to “Legal Employment”