Are there any biglaw jobs in SF/Bay Area that are not IP?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Teris

Are there any biglaw jobs in SF/Bay Area that are not IP?

Postby Teris » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:56 pm

If the answer is no, I'm fine with that, just say. Also, if the answer is, "Yes, but only if you're at Stanford," I'm fine with that, too. Just looking for a simple answer.

If the answer is yes, a quick list of which firms do non-IP work in the Bay Area would be appreciated.

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: Are there any biglaw jobs in SF/Bay Area that are not IP?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:52 pm

]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:05 am

Yes. Tons. Every big firm in SF has dozens of non-IP attorneys.

It baffles me why people on this site think the Bay Area is exclusively IP. And no, they don't only hire from Stanford.

bree

Postby bree » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:37 am

Yes, there are non-IP biglaw jobs in the SF Bay Area. That being said, many of the biglaw jobs are tech-related (e.g. corporate work at WGSR, Cooley, etc.) because of the nature of industries in the Bay Area.

Also, the Bay Area is a relatively small legal market (compared to NY, DC, LA, Chicago), which makes it a tough nut to crack compared to other large, metropolitan areas.

Because law is a service profession, the legal market always mirrors the industries of the area (e.g. NY - large market + lots of finance-related work, DC - regulatory practices). That being said, there are certain legal positions needed everywhere (e.g. tax, employment, general litigation) and the number of those positions will be reflective of the size of the local economy.

Teris

Postby Teris » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 pm

I suppose the question was more of whether it was realistic to get one of those jobs (without going to Stanford/Berkeley and having only weak family ties to the area), not whether there are a few corporate or tax associates working there. But thank you for the insight; I now have a better idea of where to look.

Return to “Legal Employment”