one group of classes distinctly better than another means?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
najumobi

one group of classes distinctly better than another means?

Postby najumobi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:38 pm

So all grades are in and I did distinctly better in con law, crim, and contracts, collectively than torts, civ pro, and property, collectively.

Does it mean anything significant, or is it just that the profs for the classes i did better in were looking for similar things as far as exam answers go?

And does anyone have any idea if employers care which classes you do better or worse in or just look at your avg?

Aston2412

Re: one group of classes distinctly better than another means?

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:59 pm

I don't think that it has any sort of significant meaning. If a few of your classes were reversed, then it might be a statutory vs. case law dichotomy split, but you've got classes oriented towards those on both sides.

Both of my Civil Procedure grades were lower than both of my Contracts grades. I read every Civil Procedure case and studied more extensively for it, both semesters. I did not read every case for Contracts, was frequently more distracted in that class and studied less for it second semester than I should have. Not to mention that I actually enjoyed both Civ Pro classes substantially more than my Contracts classes. Didn't make any damn sense to me then. Doesn't make any damn sense to me now.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:11 pm

I was also wondering something in this vein. More specifically, let's say one aced civpro, but did mediocre (but not bad) in the rest of the classes. So maybe the transcript looks like this:

Civpro: A
Contracts: B+
Criminal Law: A-
Torts: B+
Constitutional Law: A-
Property: B+

Would it work at all during OCI to weave that A in civpro into the discussion of why he thinks that he would enjoy litigation and be good at it? Would there be any issues with him expressing a strong interest in, say, transactional law during OCI, considering the median grade in Ks?

Maybe civpro isn't the best example, but hopefully you get the point of the hypo.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Aston2412 wrote: Didn't make any damn sense to me then. Doesn't make any damn sense to me now.
haha

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:47 pm

I wouldn't refer directly to that civ pro A but it might vindicate your assertion when your interviewer flips to your transcript and sees the grade.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:49 pm

I think an example of maybe a true trend with a story would be something of the sort:

Civil Procedure: B+
Con Law: B+
Contracts: A
Crim Law: B+
Property: A
Torts: B+

I would think that if anyone could try to play the corporate law angle, it would be with a distribution like this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 pm

How about this?

Crim: H
Legislation & Regulation: H
LRW: H/H
Fluffy I-Law Elective: H
Fluffy Public Policy Elective: H
Torts: P
Contracts: P
CivPro: P
Property: P

Like I'm not complaining about my grades, but I'm not really sure how to explain that I did worst in the four most "core" classes in law school...right now the best spin I can think of I like writing memos/briefs, think I'm very good at it, and did best on exams that were structured more like memos/briefs, but I'm not sure how that will fly.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about this?

Crim: H
Legislation & Regulation: H
LRW: H/H
Fluffy I-Law Elective: H
Fluffy Public Policy Elective: H
Torts: P
Contracts: P
CivPro: P
Property: P

Like I'm not complaining about my grades, but I'm not really sure how to explain that I did worst in the four most "core" classes in law school...right now the best spin I can think of I like writing memos/briefs, think I'm very good at it, and did best on exams that were structured more like memos/briefs, but I'm not sure how that will fly.

You don't have to explain anything. You got 6 H's, there's no explaining to do. Talk about other things that make you a valuable associate and go from there.

Return to “Legal Employment”