Attend lower-T14 at sticker or boutique banking analyst Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Attend lower-T14 at sticker or boutique banking analyst

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Here's the situtation:

One option is to attend a lower-T14 school at sticker. The other option is to take an analyst job at a boutique investment bank that pays an estimated 80k all-in salary.

It's hard to pass up a job like that fresh out of undergrad ITE, but it's also hard to pass up the T14 offer (an offer that I am lucky to have and that may not present itself again.)

Most of my friends and colleagues at the bank suggested that I go to law school. I don't think they fully grasp the struggling legal job market. But the job market aside, I am 22 and feel like this may be the best time to go to law school, simply because I have nothing to hold me back (wife, kids) from achieving the best grades I can.

Has anyone faced a similar choice? Can you offer and explain your opinion?

fatduck

Gold

Re: Attend lower-T14 at sticker or boutique banking analyst

Post by fatduck » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:42 pm

this is going to blow your mind

but it has a lot to do with whether you want to be a lawyer or a banker

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Alternatively: in 3 years, would you rather be $200,000 in debt or have a substantial amount in savings? You can always work for 3-5 years and save up enough to cover 1L or more. Also, work experience could net you acceptances and scholarship if you reapply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Work the analyst job for at least a year. If you like it (inclusive of liking the job prospects down the line), stick with it. If you don't like it, go to law school. Can you defer your admission?

I worked long enough to realize that the upstream job prospects for me weren't in line with what I wanted to do with myself, so I jumped ship and took the LSAT.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Law school will always be there, the banking job might not be. Additionally, i-banking is a great soft, and if you can retake and apply later you should be looking at scholarship money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Most schools will let you defer for at least a year. If you're annoying about it, you can sometimes even get up to 3. Secure a 1-year deferral and get to work. You'll not only mature and learn more about your preferences, but it will be a massive boost getting a job once you start law school.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:Most schools will let you defer for at least a year. If you're annoying about it, you can sometimes even get up to 3. Secure a 1-year deferral and get to work. You'll not only mature and learn more about your preferences, but it will be a massive boost getting a job once you start law school.
+1. And OP, why do you think you won't get a T14 acceptance again? The odds of you getting a T14 acceptance in a few years are probably better than the odds of you getting that analyst position in the future.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's hard to pass up a job like that fresh out of undergrad ITE, but it's also hard to pass up the T14 offer (an offer that I am lucky to have and that may not present itself again.)
What makes you think this? Clearly you were a strong enough candidate this year to make it in to at least one t-14. With the analyst experience under your belt, and maybe an improved LSAT if that was holding you back, what's to stop you from getting in to a few schools a few years down the line if you decide banking isn't for you?

Take the job. Law school will always be there, and it's not that hard that you need to be without a family or outside interests to do well.
Moxie wrote:The odds of you getting a T14 acceptance in a few years are probably better than the odds of you getting that analyst position in the future.
Also, +1.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Try to defer and take the job. If you can last 2-3 years that's even better, then reapply. Even if you don't like sitting on excel 80 hours/week, you can rule out a career path and cover half your law school expenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”