Ugly OCI - What to do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ugly OCI - What to do?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Need advice on OCI bidding and beyond. I'm not sure what other schools' OCI looks like, but ours is pretty ugly. Right now there is a total of 39 firms (42 if you count firms conducting separate interviews for multiple offices).

Here is the break down:

# of firms in Primary Market where I have ties - 4
# of firms in Secondary Market #1 where school is located - 12
# of firms in Secondary Market #2 where I have no ties - 12
# of firms in various other secondary markets (about 3) where I have no ties -11

I want to work in the primary market, however it is obvious that if it is going to happen, it probably won't be through OCI. Before we get to that, though, my first question is how do I go about bidding? I've been told by our CSO that I won't have much of a shot at the secondary markets where I have no ties, and I will still have a tough time with the secondary market where my school is located, being that I don't have any ties here either, beyond just going to school here right now. Being that this pretty much covers our ENTIRE OCI, I feel like I am basically being told OCI is going to be unfruitful for me, despite having decent grades (top 10%). Like I said, the primary market is my preferred market, but I also want to be employed, so I feel like I can't put all my eggs in that basket. So what should I do? Am I really just screwed as far as OCI goes, or will I be competitive for these other markets?

My second question is how to go about targeting the primary market. I obviously plan to bid on the 4 firms that are coming here and conduct some sort of fairly extensive mailing campaign. I also plan on contacting associate/partners at firms in the primary market who are alums of my school. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing?

Thanks all. After writing all this I feel like the answer might just be GTFO of my school and transfer somewhere that places more students in the market I want to work in. Anyone else get that sense?

fatduck

Re: Ugly OCI - What to do?

Postby fatduck » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:10 pm

you're a 1L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:14 pm

fatduck wrote:you're a 1L?

Yes, or rising 2L to be precise.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Based on the number of firms attending your OCI, I have to ask: Do you even have to limit your list? Most schools with OCI that small let employers choose who to interview via preselect and don't limit student bids. In that case, the answer is "bid on all firms that are firms."

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:34 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about overcoming being really ugly during OCI. I for one could sure use the advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:Based on the number of firms attending your OCI, I have to ask: Do you even have to limit your list? Most schools with OCI that small let employers choose who to interview via preselect and don't limit student bids. In that case, the answer is "bid on all firms that are firms."

I believe we receive 25 bids, although I asked and couldn't really get a straight answer. It was suggested we may get more, since we had 25 bids for spring OCI (which didn't even have 25 employers). Either way, I get what your saying. I guess I'm just wondering what to expect from this.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I'm just wondering what to expect from this.

Anxiety, let down, obnoxious personalities, difficulty sleeping, alcoholism, and perhaps a job offer.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Anxiety, let down, obnoxious personalities, difficulty sleeping, alcoholism, and perhaps a job offer.

Post of the century

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:

No surprises there.

Return to “Legal Employment”