.. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Last edited by Odd Future Wolf Gang on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: How much of a boost is WE at OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:16 pm

Take the job:

1. WE will help at OCI
2. The economy will (hopefully) be better in 2 more years
3. The vast majority of students in the top 10% at my school all have WE. You are in a different frame of mind if you have worked a few years. It helps you gain some perspective about the importance of doing well in LS, it helps your work ethic, and it gets you out of the "college" frame of mind.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:41 pm

It is an enormous boost. People with it did better, people with out it were much more likely to struggle or strike out. Grades + school attended still matter more, but IMO it's clearly next most important thing and quite meaningful.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Take the job:

1. WE will help at OCI
3. The vast majority of students in the top 10% at my school all have WE. You are in a different frame of mind if you have worked a few years. It helps you gain some perspective about the importance of doing well in LS, it helps your work ethic, and it gets you out of the "college" frame of mind.
This is true for my school as well. Can't speak to OCI yet, but I'll know in a few months whether it really makes a difference or not.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Also, I'm not advocating it, but about half the people I worked with as a paralegal left prior to fulfilling their full 2 year commitment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Take the job:

1. WE will help at OCI
All of the above.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Last edited by Odd Future Wolf Gang on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

NarwhalPunter

New

Post by NarwhalPunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:23 pm

I agree that gaining WE is probably the right choice. My grades would have probably been significantly lower if I had gone straight from UG to law school because I lacked maturity and perspective.

However, I will throw out a few other considerations. I took three years after undergrad to work. During that time, the median LSAT at my target schools went up 2-3 points due to an increase in applicants. Tuition also rose an average of 25%+ cumulatively during that time, while US wage inflation during that same time was non-existent.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:25 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:I took three years after undergrad to work. During that time, the median LSAT at my target schools went up 2-3 points due to an increase in applicants.
This is only a concern if the economy keeps worsening and people are driven to law school as a way to weather the storm. If the economy gets much worse than it is right now, it'd probably be a good idea to avoid going 200k into debt for an ever shrinking shot at big law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NarwhalPunter

New

Post by NarwhalPunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:29 pm

dailygrind wrote:
NarwhalPunter wrote:I took three years after undergrad to work. During that time, the median LSAT at my target schools went up 2-3 points due to an increase in applicants.
This is only a concern if the economy keeps worsening and people are driven to law school as a way to weather the storm. If the economy gets much worse than it is right now, it'd probably be a good idea to avoid going 200k into debt for an ever shrinking shot at big law.
This is partially correct. Check out how the medians skyrocketed between 2005-2008 too (the best of the boom times). There is a general trend in the workforce towards seeking specialized/graduate degrees that will not ebb until the government quits guaranteeing loan availability.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Taking a year to work at starbucks has to be different than taking a year to work as an accountant. Is it even worth talking about your time off in the interview if were like a waiter or something?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:18 pm

If you work at a big 4 accounting firm it's a great selling point, but even 2 years at starbucks will make you (a) more mature and (b) less 23, both of which are big pluses to most interviewers.

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:16 pm

What about somebody who is young (23) but has worked everything from Management to Office to Retail everyday since they were 17?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:Does it matter if it's not a paralegal / law-related job though? Although I was offered a paralegal position, I kind of wanted to spend the year (or two) teaching English abroad instead.
I think teaching abroad could actually be even more valuable. There are a lot of paralegals out there. Teaching abroad will make you more interesting, and still give you the developmental experience you need.
KingRajesh wrote:What about somebody who is young (23) but has worked everything from Management to Office to Retail everyday since they were 17?
It will definitely help over someone who is 23 but does not have that experience. You'll stand out. And honestly, since you don't have to put your birthdate on your resume, they may assume from your work experience that you're a couple years older than you actually are.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Last edited by dr123 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”