Lateraling from NYC biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FlanAl

Silver

Lateraling from NYC biglaw

Post by FlanAl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Since it seems like the majority of associates don't last more than a few years in NYC biglaw I am wondering where most of them go after NYC. I know about the traditional biglaw to in-house/mid-size firm etc. but do most NYC biglaw folks stay in NYC or do they go to secondary markets after putting in their time? Since NYC is arguably the easiest market to get at this point I bet a lot of people end up there even when it isn't their first choice, do they just have to suck it up and spend the rest of their life in NYC?

If there is already a thread on this I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch for any input!

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Lateraling from NYC biglaw

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:39 pm

A very large number leave NYC. A few years of big firm practice in NYC can make you a hot commodity in other parts of the country.

While people "don't last" in big law they also only wind up on the streets afterward if they are walking across the country on a grand adventure or something. Unless it's the height of the down turn, exit options from big firm practice tend to be very appealing (which contributes to high turnover).

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 pm

As a NYC biglaw associate, I get recruiter calls for jobs all over the country. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to lateral outside of NYC if I wanted to.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:06 pm

nealric wrote:As a NYC biglaw associate, I get recruiter calls for jobs all over the country. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to lateral outside of NYC if I wanted to.
Hey, I have virtually no knowledge of how this works and am really curious. So, if I get an offer from my current 2L summer job and once I start and my bio is up, recruiters will call and offer me a job? Just an interview? Just that they're interested? Any of the above, but only after X amount of years as an associate?

Please don't try and out lawyer me by saying it's subjective, varies, CBC basis, etc. I realize that, and am just looking for biglaw generalities. Thank you!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:16 pm

FlanAl wrote:I am wondering where most of them go after NYC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZKdD88gjLE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:20 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:
nealric wrote:As a NYC biglaw associate, I get recruiter calls for jobs all over the country. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to lateral outside of NYC if I wanted to.
Hey, I have virtually no knowledge of how this works and am really curious. So, if I get an offer from my current 2L summer job and once I start and my bio is up, recruiters will call and offer me a job? Just an interview? Just that they're interested? Any of the above, but only after X amount of years as an associate?

Please don't try and out lawyer me by saying it's subjective, varies, CBC basis, etc. I realize that, and am just looking for biglaw generalities. Thank you!
I've seen associates at V5 firms fighting off recruiters during business lunches. It is subjective/CBC and very economy dependent, but headhunter calls happen all the time at big firms. It's often very hush-hush, because anybody actually looking for a job isn't likely to be broadcasting that and the headhunters + poaching employers have a reason to be discrete.

Obviously it's not a straight up no-questions-asked offer coming via phone call, but it appears to be pretty close to that. It'll often be the case that a firm has a gap in a practice area and will employ a headhunter to try and plug it, and the headhunter will start calling people who have or are at firms that have strong reputations in that area. It can definitely happen early - I've seen young 2nd year associates fending off calls from recruiters.

Unsurprisingly, many have reported the calls dried up during the height of the recession.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:20 pm

I've seen young 2nd year associates fending off calls from recruiters.
I got my first call the day after my bio went up on the firm's website.
So, if I get an offer from my current 2L summer job and once I start and my bio is up, recruiters will call and offer me a job? Just an interview? Just that they're interested? Any of the above, but only after X amount of years as an associate?
Since I like my job and have no intention of leaving I've always politely turned them down. I couldn't give you a good answer about how the process works once you bite.

Generally, there is a huge dearth of biglaw associates from classes of 07-09. Firms only want to hire current biglaw associates, but so many people were laid off from those class years that there aren't many to go around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”