Connection with Big client

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Connection with Big client

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:17 pm

I am wondering how much it would help to get hired by a big law firm if one of their big clients happens to be my family member's corp.? The family member says it should be no problem at all but i have reservations...especially since my grade is lower than the mid at a T 30 school.

Anonymous User

Re: Connection with Big client

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Frankly, this is probably the *only* way to get hired into Biglaw solely via a connection. I have classmates whose direct family members are partners on hiring committees in biglaw firms, and they cannot get hired. But if your family's business is big enough that they would rather pay you 6 figures for a few years than lose the client, you can definitely get a job this way.

With that said, if your credentials are vastly below what the firm would normally hire, they will probably give you a courtesy screener + callback and then gently tell the client you didn't match up with the firm culture, etc.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Should help significantly.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am wondering how much it would help to get hired by a big law firm if one of their big clients happens to be my family member's corp.? The family member says it should be no problem at all but i have reservations...especially since my grade is lower than the mid at a T 30 school.

It'll help if:

(1) the client does substantial business with the firm, and

(2) the family member is the person who has decision making authority for obtaining legal work / choosing law firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks alot for the replies! The family emember IS the one making decisions and also is one of their biggest clients from one of their international offices.
Another question I have is when I should ask my family member to talk to them? My family member told me to just tell them when I want them to tell the firm, do you guys know when would be a good time?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:14 pm

It will get you in the door but the trouble with this is that its a road to no-where. First of all, everyone on the hiring committee will know that you are "that guy." Word will spread about how you got the job. For the most part, people won't care, but you will forever be known as "that guy." Second of all, you will stick out. Put 10 first years in a room. 9 of them are at the top of the class, many at Ivy schools. The 10th is in the middle of his class at a less selective school. Your superiors are some of the most seasoned attorneys around, trained to critically examine everyone put in front of them. How long do you think you can fool them? That said, take what they pay you, save up, and be ready to exit on your terms.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 pm

MrAnon wrote:Put 10 first years in a room. 9 of them are at the top of the class, many at Ivy schools. The 10th is in the middle of his class at a less selective school.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 pm

MrAnon wrote:It will get you in the door but the trouble with this is that its a road to no-where. First of all, everyone on the hiring committee will know that you are "that guy." Word will spread about how you got the job. For the most part, people won't care, but you will forever be known as "that guy." Second of all, you will stick out. Put 10 first years in a room. 9 of them are at the top of the class, many at Ivy schools. The 10th is in the middle of his class at a less selective school. Your superiors are some of the most seasoned attorneys around, trained to critically examine everyone put in front of them. How long do you think you can fool them? That said, take what they pay you, save up, and be ready to exit on your terms.

Median kids at T30s aren't dumb, you know. They're not necessarily any dumber than top 5% kids at T30s.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Are we talking about general knowledge? law school test taking? Someone did better on the exam and that's who the firm wants. they don't have a need for people who finished middle of the pack on the exam.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi, I understand this problem, but I am hoping I wll be able to show my ability once I get my foot in the door(if I have any, which I am not even sure if I do), and if I am not cut out for it I will just leave.
I am still wondering if anyone would know when I should talk to my family member about this? should it be during OCI? before? or after?

I am sure this is not the most likeable post, but I hope someone can help me. Thanks guys.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 pm

screw the Mr. Anon poster. Do this and get the job. Nobody will think you are that guy bc NOBODY TALKS ABOUT GRADES AT WORK. at my firm we have kids from all over the spectrum of schools, the fact that you are at a t30 is good. Good school + great connections = good job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:36 pm

anyone know when will be the best time to ask?

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:21 pm

MrAnon wrote:It will get you in the door but the trouble with this is that its a road to no-where. First of all, everyone on the hiring committee will know that you are "that guy." Word will spread about how you got the job. For the most part, people won't care, but you will forever be known as "that guy." Second of all, you will stick out. Put 10 first years in a room. 9 of them are at the top of the class, many at Ivy schools. The 10th is in the middle of his class at a less selective school. Your superiors are some of the most seasoned attorneys around, trained to critically examine everyone put in front of them. How long do you think you can fool them? That said, take what they pay you, save up, and be ready to exit on your terms.

Yeah no one should use connections at all in case people speak about their connections in hushed tones behind their back :roll:

The OP is in a good situation and he won't be the only person in his SA class who got the job through connections.

As to the best time to ask, I think it's probably fair game the day they receive your resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:24 am

I am wondering if I should do this after the oci period or before? (The firm does not recruit at my school) Also my grades will be better by end of august than they are now.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:32 am

When I was a summer associate after my 2L year, another SA (very well qualified & from Harvard Law) was sought after & hired in part because his father was the editorial page editor of a major newspaper. So the effect of having a significant relationship with a major client of the firm could be a strong factor in your favor.
Another SA during the same time may have received consideration due to her family's business, although she was gorgeous & ranked #1 at Emory Law (and the only Emory student to receive a SA offer that year).
In retrospect, the mid-sized firm had only one SA from each law school represented including the Top 3 at the time (Harvard, Yale & Michigan).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Anyone have advice ony my previous question?

Jessep

Postby Jessep » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 pm

I'd have your contact give their contact at the firm a heads up as soon as possible. The earlier the better. Your family member can always tell the person that you will be applying before you send a resume. If I were you, I would ask if you can talk with your family member's contact at the firm in the next few weeks about the firm to learn more. This makes you interest seem more genuine and more likeable than you family member asking them to give you the job outright without you trying.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:40 pm

I would definitely use the connection and would give that advice to anyone, regardless of your grades. HOWEVER, don't be obnoxious about it. Have your family member send a written recommendation for you well before OCI but when you get in to interview, do not push it or name drop. The firm will be well aware of who you are and your connections to the big client.

Return to “Legal Employment”