NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Anybody have insight on whether or not it's acceptable to mass-mail firms that you didn't land interviews with. Thinking NYC. If it's ok, are we to email resume + transcript, or just the resume?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:27 pm

I would assume its entirely acceptable to shoot an emailed resume and transcript to a firm you didn't end up getting an interview with. Express to them how interested you are, and how you don't want to miss out on getting a chance to speak with them.

MBeezy11

Postby MBeezy11 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have insight on whether or not it's acceptable to mass-mail firms that you didn't land interviews with. Thinking NYC. If it's ok, are we to email resume + transcript, or just the resume?

This is definitely credited. Make sure you send the transcript and resume because your grades will determine if they will make an effort to interview you. Also, all the firms you email visit their hospitality suite in the morning. If you make a good impression in person they will find a way to squeeze you in. Whatever email you send needs to clearly indicate why you want to interview with the firm. An impersonal email will probably not get you anywhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:29 am

MBeezy11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have insight on whether or not it's acceptable to mass-mail firms that you didn't land interviews with. Thinking NYC. If it's ok, are we to email resume + transcript, or just the resume?

This is definitely credited. Make sure you send the transcript and resume because your grades will determine if they will make an effort to interview you. Also, all the firms you email visit their hospitality suite in the morning. If you make a good impression in person they will find a way to squeeze you in. Whatever email you send needs to clearly indicate why you want to interview with the firm. An impersonal email will probably not get you anywhere.

What about someone with not-so-strong (sub-median) grades but a really strong resume? Should I just pique their interest with the resume, and hope that I get a chance to sell myself in person? It certainly worked during my 1L SA search...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 am

MBeezy11 wrote:

I take it, then, that emailing them before appearing in their hospitality suite is expected, or at least encouraged?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:19 pm

I've been wondering if my final interview list contains too many reaches/targets and not enough non-grade conscious firms. Wanted some feedback. GPA's 3.44.

Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Skadden
Weil, Gotshal & Manges
Simpson Thacher
Kirkland & Ellis
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Latham & Watkins
Debevoise
White & Case
Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher
Sullivan & Cromwell
Cravath
Shearman & Sterlin
Jones Day
Clifford Chance
King & Spalding
Paul Hastings
Chadbourne
Akin Gump
Milbank Tweed
Herbert Smith

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Skadden
Weil, Gotshal & Manges
Simpson Thacher
Kirkland & Ellis
Latham & Watkins
Debevoise
White & Case
Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher
Sullivan & Cromwell
Cravath
Shearman & Sterlin
Jones Day
Clifford Chance
King & Spalding
Paul Hastings
Chadbourne
Akin Gump
Milbank Tweed
Herbert Smith

I would be aggressive about trying to pick up additional interviews with less selective firms if I were you. My GPA is a good 0.1 higher than yours (also NYU) and I would be nervous about this list. I bet you'll get something but I think a good 1/4 of your interviews are real long shots (Cravath, S+C, Debevoise, Simpson, Cleary) and most of the rest could go either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I wonder how a transfer student should bid at NYU. I was top 10% at a T25 school, so my hunch is I should bid as if I were something like top 25% at NYU, but I have no clue at this point whether that hunch is warranted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Skadden
Weil, Gotshal & Manges
Simpson Thacher
Kirkland & Ellis
Latham & Watkins
Debevoise
White & Case
Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher
Sullivan & Cromwell
Cravath
Shearman & Sterlin
Jones Day
Clifford Chance
King & Spalding
Paul Hastings
Chadbourne
Akin Gump
Milbank Tweed
Herbert Smith

I would be aggressive about trying to pick up additional interviews with less selective firms if I were you. My GPA is a good 0.1 higher than yours (also NYU) and I would be nervous about this list. I bet you'll get something but I think a good 1/4 of your interviews are real long shots (Cravath, S+C, Debevoise, Simpson, Cleary) and most of the rest could go either way.

I don't think you are in bad shape. Regarding the poster above saying those firms are long shots--so what. (I also sort of disagree with that--the average for most of those firms was above 3.6 so their spread almost certainly included some people with 3.44.) Remember also that the averages they gave were for offers, not acceptances, so there are some kids skewing the GPA averages of some 'top' firms higher than they really are. In terms of the rest going "either way"--this is just how it works. You are basically a match for most firms on your list and you don't need to get every single firm. I don't really think you are in serious risk of striking out (at all)--a 3.44 is a pretty competitive GPA.

My GPA is slightly lower, I bid similarly and am not concerned at all.

MBeezy11

Postby MBeezy11 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MBeezy11 wrote:

What about someone with not-so-strong (sub-median) grades but a really strong resume? Should I just pique their interest with the resume, and hope that I get a chance to sell myself in person? It certainly worked during my 1L SA search...

Personally, I would send the transcript with the resume because I view it as the most efficient method. The recruiters are going to look at both so if your resume is impressive then it will garner interest. Plus, you will know they are not turned off by your grades from the start. I think your method leads to too many conversations that end up in rejection because you grades don't meet their random cutoff for that particular interviewing season. For the most part, limiting these type of interactions keeps you in a better mindset for the long interviewing days and OCI in general.

MBeezy11

Postby MBeezy11 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MBeezy11 wrote:

I take it, then, that emailing them before appearing in their hospitality suite is expected, or at least encouraged?

It is neither encouraged nor expected. It is more a function of the story you want to tell about why you don't have a scheduled interview but would like to interview with the firm at some point. I like to be able to point to specific acts some others prefer to charm in the moment. Its really up to you.

cosmopolitan

Postby cosmopolitan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:36 am

For 1L SAs, how many firms are you interviewing with?

MiracleMile777

Postby MiracleMile777 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:54 am

Where does a 3.6 place you in terms of %?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Around top 15%, I think, maybe slightly below.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:39 am

Okay, this is kind of last-minute, but anyway...

I have 26 interviews scheduled during EIW. However, there are 12 places that I would also like to interview that I have put myself on the waitlist for. I don't think I want to be doing more than 30 interviews during EIW; is 12 waitlists too many? How many interviews will I get off of the waitlist?

Waitlist review closes tomorrow, so this is semi-urgent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 pm

I just logged into Symplicity to review my interview schedule, and the first page allows me to change the order of my bids. The page also says that the bidding period is open from Aug 8th (12:00p) to Aug 10th (5p).

Any idea why this is the case?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just logged into Symplicity to review my interview schedule, and the first page allows me to change the order of my bids. The page also says that the bidding period is open from Aug 8th (12:00p) to Aug 10th (5p).

Likely because transfer bidding is now being run during that time period

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just logged into Symplicity to review my interview schedule, and the first page allows me to change the order of my bids. The page also says that the bidding period is open from Aug 8th (12:00p) to Aug 10th (5p).

Likely because transfer bidding is now being run during that time period

Actually, I just found out... it's open for transfers but visible to all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:13 am

Just curious, how many interviews did people get off waitlists? I got 0. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:18 am

How did the other transfers do? I didn't get my #3 pick (Paul Hastings) which I found odd, but got 25 overall, so I'm not going to complain. How exactly do we do open sign up at 12? Can anyone give a quick explanation as to what we do/where we go on simplicity?

Edit: I looked it up in the student handbook, so I'm all set

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious, how many interviews did people get off waitlists? I got 0. :(

1 here. Hooray.
Anyone know what to expect for open sign-up? There can't be many openings left, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just curious, how many interviews did people get off waitlists? I got 0. :(

1 here. Hooray.
Anyone know what to expect for open sign-up? There can't be many openings left, right?

Was it one of Skadden, Sidley, Paul Hastings, K&E or Dewey?
I gots zero, even after cancelling 8 of my 24 interviews to free up slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:How did the other transfers do? I didn't get my #3 pick (Paul Hastings) which I found odd, but got 25 overall, so I'm not going to complain. How exactly do we do open sign up at 12? Can anyone give a quick explanation as to what we do/where we go on simplicity?

Edit: I looked it up in the student handbook, so I'm all set

I got 29 as a transfer. In the top 20, I didn't get my 12, 17, and 20.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:40 am

How do you cancel interviews? And do you have to do anything to accept the interviews you were given?

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:41 am

Anyone know how to cancel interviews before open sign up at 12? I don't seem to have that option.

Return to “Legal Employment”