NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Now we have our assignments. For others' future benefit, how many interviews did you all get, and how far down your bid list? (I got 29 interviews, including all of my top 20 and also my #50.) Also ended up with ten interviews on the first day of EIW, which seemed overwhelming; I dropped two of them (and one other interview). I also opted in to the waitlist at 6 or so firms. Anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist?

Also, if you opt into the waitlist and get that interview, it's not possible to drop the interview, correct?


Yep. If you get a spot off the waitlist lottery, you're bound.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Interested to learn how this process works for transfers. They said they will have a webinar sometime soon, but our actual orientation isn't until EIW is halfway through. So hopefully us transfers don't go flying blind through this. No idea about bidding strategies since my old school was almost all preselect.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
big_blue79 wrote:I got 23 interviews (10 first day!), but missed on #2 (Department of State), #10 (wasn't expecting that), #13, and #14. I got #s 53, 51, 49, and 42. I was bidding on almost all west coast, so it probably made my results slightly abnormal. My last 10 or so firms were the most selective with large interview pools, so that helped.



24 total (22 in NYC) out of 43 bids. Got Cleary, DPW, and S&C in the mid 30s. Lost out on K&E at 10 (got too cute?) and Sidley Austin at 12, which sucks. Other misses were less surprising.


Interesting; I got Sidley at 11. I guess that confirms where the cutoff was. Makes me regret bidding Cleary, DPW and S&C so high, too (around 12-15; they're some of my top targets, and I was worried about not getting an interview).

Does it matter where you ranked a firm initially for the waitlist lottery?

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby big_blue79 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:39 pm

I got Cleary at 53. I don't think they filled up.

User avatar
straxen
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby straxen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Got 27, including all of 1-21, and about 20 of which are in the first two days. Lowest bid I got was Cravath at 34.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 pm

Looks like some of the more selective firms very likely did not fill up. Got Paul Weiss, DPW in the 40s. Didn't get Weil, Proskauer, Dewey, Gibson in the teens.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Does it matter where you ranked a firm initially for the waitlist lottery?[/quote]

That would make the most sense.
In any case, I certainly hope so. Sidley was one of my targets at 12.

Anybody here get Paul Hastings? How low?

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:16 pm

How many bids do people get? Someone mentioned that they got a firm ranked 53?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 pm

kaiser wrote:How many bids do people get? Someone mentioned that they got a firm ranked 53?



I assume he typo'ed and meant 43, because we only get 50 bids (max 40 in NYC).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:How many bids do people get? Someone mentioned that they got a firm ranked 53?



I assume he typo'ed and meant 43, because we only get 50 bids (max 40 in NYC).


You got more than 50 if you bid on the same firm but different offices, provided they combined interview slots for the different offices--say you bid on both Ropes NY and Ropes Boston, for example.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:How many bids do people get? Someone mentioned that they got a firm ranked 53?



I assume he typo'ed and meant 43, because we only get 50 bids (max 40 in NYC).


You got more than 50 if you bid on the same firm but different offices, provided they combined interview slots for the different offices--say you bid on both Ropes NY and Ropes Boston, for example.


Oh ok thats great. I just hope that they save adequate spots for transfers.

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby big_blue79 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:How many bids do people get? Someone mentioned that they got a firm ranked 53?



I assume he typo'ed and meant 43, because we only get 50 bids (max 40 in NYC).


You got more than 50 if you bid on the same firm but different offices, provided they combined interview slots for the different offices--say you bid on both Ropes NY and Ropes Boston, for example.


This. I got 53 total (was bidding almost all SoCal). I got 49, 51, and 53. All were in the 4.6+ range (reaches) for the market I selected.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:26 pm

big_blue79 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:How many bids do people get? Someone mentioned that they got a firm ranked 53?



I assume he typo'ed and meant 43, because we only get 50 bids (max 40 in NYC).


You got more than 50 if you bid on the same firm but different offices, provided they combined interview slots for the different offices--say you bid on both Ropes NY and Ropes Boston, for example.


This. I got 53 total (was bidding almost all SoCal). I got 49, 51, and 53. All were in the 4.6+ range (reaches) for the market I selected.


What do you mean by 4.6+ range?

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby big_blue79 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:33 pm

^ I meant 3.6+ range, which is still a slight reach for me (but not as much as 4.6 would be).

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:35 pm

big_blue79 wrote:^ I meant 3.6+ range, which is still a slight reach for me (but not as much as 4.6 would be).


Oh ok, so you just meant a GPA cutoff

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:08 pm

I think I may have gone about bidding somewhat incorrectly... OCS told me to adjust my bids based on the number of interview slots per firm, which I did, but I still left the top 14 bids with all reaches and semi-reaches (just ordered according to their number of slots).

I ended up with 16 interviews: all of my top 13 (2 3.6+ and 11 3.4-3.6), and then rank 36, 42, and 43. Unfortunately, only one of the non-reaches is in New York, where I want to be. My GPA is a 3.39, so all of those top 13 are a bit risky. Should I be trying to get on as many waitlists as possible?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody here get Paul Hastings? How low?

I did, but they were #9 for me. Like the anon above, I wound up with a below average number of interviews (17).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:33 am

how low did people get skadden and proskauer? I bid them 12 and 13 and didn't get either, so i'm curious.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think I may have gone about bidding somewhat incorrectly... OCS told me to adjust my bids based on the number of interview slots per firm, which I did, but I still left the top 14 bids with all reaches and semi-reaches (just ordered according to their number of slots).

I ended up with 16 interviews: all of my top 13 (2 3.6+ and 11 3.4-3.6), and then rank 36, 42, and 43. Unfortunately, only one of the non-reaches is in New York, where I want to be. My GPA is a 3.39, so all of those top 13 are a bit risky. Should I be trying to get on as many waitlists as possible?


I think you're in serious danger of striking out, which you really shouldn't be with a 3.39. Definitely get on as many waitlists as possible, but ONLY with sub-3.4 firms. Also make sure you try to do open sign up, when it happens (after August 5), to get interviews at sub-3.4 firms. And I would do some mailings, too, to places you ranked fairly low (or didn't rank at all) to try to get some interviews with sub-3.4 firms outside of EIW.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:21 am

If you aren't happy with your bidlist, MAKE SURE you chat with recruiters in their hospitality suites. If they like you, and your numbers are in range, they will make room for an interview. It's frustrating for them too--they know bidding can be a mess. Make sure you have a story for why you didn't bid them higher (e.g. I didn't know the firms so well when we bid in June, but now that I've been talking to lawyers your firm comes up again and again.) I received several callbacks and offers this way.

MBeezy11
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 10:40 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby MBeezy11 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think I may have gone about bidding somewhat incorrectly... OCS told me to adjust my bids based on the number of interview slots per firm, which I did, but I still left the top 14 bids with all reaches and semi-reaches (just ordered according to their number of slots).

I ended up with 16 interviews: all of my top 13 (2 3.6+ and 11 3.4-3.6), and then rank 36, 42, and 43. Unfortunately, only one of the non-reaches is in New York, where I want to be. My GPA is a 3.39, so all of those top 13 are a bit risky. Should I be trying to get on as many waitlists as possible?


I think you're in serious danger of striking out, which you really shouldn't be with a 3.39. Definitely get on as many waitlists as possible, but ONLY with sub-3.4 firms. Also make sure you try to do open sign up, when it happens (after August 5), to get interviews at sub-3.4 firms. And I would do some mailings, too, to places you ranked fairly low (or didn't rank at all) to try to get some interviews with sub-3.4 firms outside of EIW.


I agree that 16 is too few interviews. However, you should be able to pick up a couple off the waitlist largely because you have so many interview slots open as a result of your lack of scheduled interviews. Also, you should arrive early everyday to sign up for any available slots. It might make sense to even contact Career Services and see if they could help. A 3.39 GPA is a competitive GPA but not when you're interviewing with so many firms that are grade conscious.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:18 pm

So, I ended up with 26 interviews. However, they're all with firms in the 3.4+ range (some 3.6+, some not). Fortunately, I have around a 3.7, so I don't think this is necessarily a dangerous position to be in. However, I want to make sure my position isn't dangerous. Thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I ended up with 26 interviews. However, they're all with firms in the 3.4+ range (some 3.6+, some not). Fortunately, I have around a 3.7, so I don't think this is necessarily a dangerous position to be in. However, I want to make sure my position isn't dangerous. Thoughts?


I think you're fine. For what it's worth, I'm mid-3.5s GPA, and have 6 3.6+ firms, 10 3.4+ firms, and 7 from the remainder, and feel okay about this, and I think you're safer than me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:00 pm

Since there are so many more firms than one could possibly bid on or interview with, are you guys mass mailing the ones you didn't get interviews with? And did you wait until after you found out your interview assignments to do this, or did you just mass mail all the firms in advance?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:04 pm

How many firms are people planning to interview with?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.