NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BenJ

Re: NYU EIW Bidding Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby BenJ » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Well, we know from the examples OCS has provided that at least some people with GPAs as low as 3.0 do get offers sometimes. (In fact, last year Debevoise gave an offer to a 3.0, but they must have been really impressive otherwise.) You obviously have more to worry about, but it's certainly possible.

You're also in the sub-3.2 range where OCS is requiring you to submit your bid list for their recommendations. That due date is tomorrow, in case you didn't know.

Rankings-wise, a 3.15 is maybe bottom 35% or so? I'm not sure, though; the drop off from median at a 3.3 to 3.0 is very tight. (3.0 is something like bottom 5%.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Where did you get that stat about Debevoise?

Moreover, I think the grade composition counts too. Upward trend? Any B minuses? Any A minuses? And in which classes? Frankly, contracts and civil procedure matter more IMO than crim or torts in a Biglaw setting.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:09 pm

From OCS. They have on file the GPAs of every single person who received an offer from every single firm going back three years (and probably further, but they'll only tell you the past three years).

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 am

ridleyroses wrote:yeah does anyone know where the webinar is?

PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 pm

correct me if i'm wrong, but williams and connolly is not coming to EIW? does anyone else find that surprising? I was pretty interested in bidding there

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:43 am

does anyone know where someone with a 3.59 should be bidding? thanks in advance

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know where someone with a 3.59 should be bidding? thanks in advance

My situation as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:correct me if i'm wrong, but williams and connolly is not coming to EIW? does anyone else find that surprising? I was pretty interested in bidding there

They don't hire much from NYU. But send them your transcript and resume if you're interested.

jlxbos

Postby jlxbos » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am

is there any downside to tacking those 10 non-nyc bids at the end of my list? i really want to stay in nyc, since my s/o is there, and obviously it's the easiest place to break into as far as biglaw goes...but i'm interested in media law (i have a bit of background in that area), which makes california appealing. i realize i probably won't even get an interview if i don't rank the ca firms high enough, but some part of me feels like i should still use all 50 bids, because...why not? is there something i'm missing?

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am

If you really want to be NYC, use those 10 bids on NJ/CT firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know where someone with a 3.59 should be bidding? thanks in advance

My situation as well.

With a 3.59 you should be able to bid on any firm you like. The 3.6 firms only have that as their mean, so they and the 3.4 firms are probably your targets. Congrats on the great grades!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:18 pm

3L here doing EIW for the first time. Is there a guide anywhere on how to do this nonsense? I vaguely remember that the bidding process for public interest places is different but don't remember why and can't figure it out.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L here doing EIW for the first time. Is there a guide anywhere on how to do this nonsense? I vaguely remember that the bidding process for public interest places is different but don't remember why and can't figure it out.

You should really, really send this question in an email to OCI or PILC. They are really nice, and they would know the answer. Also, there are deadlines you need to meet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:correct me if i'm wrong, but williams and connolly is not coming to EIW? does anyone else find that surprising? I was pretty interested in bidding there

I don't know if this is possible but you could try to go to Columbia's OCI since W&C is interviewing there.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know if this is possible but you could try to go to Columbia's OCI since W&C is interviewing there.

LOL No. That said, I know NYUers who received callbacks at W&C despite their not coming to NYU's OCI, so I'm sure there's way. Can't remember how they received them. Probably a mail-in?

ridleyroses

Postby ridleyroses » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:25 pm

does anybody know which of the firms in the highest gpa range have gpa cutoffs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:08 pm

Assuming grades aren't an issue and we want the interviews, any idea how low we can rank the firms in the highest gpa cutoff with a huge number of interviews? (180+)? Seems like the best way to maximize interviews is to rank those as low as possible so that I can be more likely to get interviews with the more popular firms as well, but still want to make sure I get interviews with those firms that have the huge interview classes.

Think someone previously mentioned 15-20 would probably still get you interviews with those firms. Is there any consensus on this point?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:13 pm

I--and a few others--interviewed at W&C last year. I think we all got callbacks, but we all had high grades (think LR grade-on). Just mail in your app via the instructions on the website and if they are interested, they will interview you with the Columbia kids. That said, getting an offer is very difficult as their summer class is very small. I don't think anyone here got one.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:18 am

BenJ wrote:NYU median is 3.3, for what it's worth. (This is easy to calculate from the grade distribution.*) Top 10% is somewhere in the high 3.6 range. Top 25% is just over 3.5.

*On average, 10% A/A+, 20% A-, 25% B+, 40% B, 5% B-, negligible C/D/F (According to the grade distribution data, no 1L got below a B- in the fall, so C/D/F may be impossible to get.) Assuming no A+s or C/D/Fs (not true, but the reality is close), that works out to exactly a 3.30 mean, which should be more or less the median as well.

These are technicalities, but....... while the NYU median in each individual first year class 3.33, people don't just take one class. I think the actual first year median should average out closer to 3.27 (the midpoint). The 50% mark does not hit the middle of the B+ range, it falls closer to the B range (A range is targeted at 31% & B and below range is 43%). While I don't know where the top 25% mark is, since Columbia's curve is similar to ours and top 30% there (Stone award?) is about a 3.4, NYU's 30% mark should be around 3.4 (maybe a tiny bit higher due to NYU's slightly larger A tier). So top 25% should be a little above that, but probably not above 3.5.

But then again, I am bad at math.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:55 am

Well, on the distribution I cited above, the mean is exactly 3.30 (not 3.33), although that distribution is slightly rough based on the grade distribution data we have from the fall semester. If there are slightly more Bs and below than that estimate, the mean would be a little bit lower. With such a large class, the mean and median must be very close.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Hey,

Rising 3L here who just found out his firm won't be giving out offers until September, so now I'm scrambling to put together a 3L bid list. Would anyone mind sharing the most recent data for GPA cut offs is? I can PM you to verify that I'm not a 0L or something who just wants the information and going to post it all over the Internets. I would contact OCS, but they're closed for the weekend, and I seriously just found out about my firm's offer timeline this Friday ...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Bump. Now we have our assignments. For others' future benefit, how many interviews did you all get, and how far down your bid list? (I got 29 interviews, including all of my top 20 and also my #50.) Also ended up with ten interviews on the first day of EIW, which seemed overwhelming; I dropped two of them (and one other interview). I also opted in to the waitlist at 6 or so firms. Anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist?

Also, if you opt into the waitlist and get that interview, it's not possible to drop the interview, correct?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:47 pm

When do we find out who our interviewers are? I notice one of my interviews has the interviewer's name, but none of the others do.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:30 pm

I got 23 interviews (10 first day!), but missed on #2 (Department of State), #10 (wasn't expecting that), #13, and #14. I got #s 53, 51, 49, and 42. I was bidding on almost all west coast, so it probably made my results slightly abnormal. My last 10 or so firms were the most selective with large interview pools, so that helped.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:22 pm

big_blue79 wrote:I got 23 interviews (10 first day!), but missed on #2 (Department of State), #10 (wasn't expecting that), #13, and #14. I got #s 53, 51, 49, and 42. I was bidding on almost all west coast, so it probably made my results slightly abnormal. My last 10 or so firms were the most selective with large interview pools, so that helped.

24 total (22 in NYC) out of 43 bids. Got Cleary, DPW, and S&C in the mid 30s. Lost out on K&E at 10 (got too cute?) and Sidley Austin at 12, which sucks. Other misses were less surprising.

Return to “Legal Employment”