Top 1-2% at T30, worth considering clerkship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 1-2% at T30, worth considering clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Rising 2L, but everyone says think about clerkships. Worth considering? Any chance at COA?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moxie

Re: Top 1-2% at V30, worth considering clerkship?

Postby Moxie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:51 pm

V30 firm or T30 school?

If you mean you're a 1L SA at a V30 firm, roughly what school rank are you?

Anonymous User

Re: Top 1-2% at V30, worth considering clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Moxie wrote:V30 firm or T30 school?

If you mean you're a 1L SA at a V30 firm, roughly what school rank are you?

Sorry that was a typo. T30.

Anonymous User

Re: Top 1-2% at T30, worth considering clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:34 pm

If you can maintain top 1-2% through the next two semesters, you should be in great shape for at least fed. dist. ct., and have a shot at COA, especially in the circuit your school is located in. Look at where your school has placed clerks the last few years to get an idea of where you have a good shot.

I'm assuming you will grade on to LR with those grades, which helps. If you are really interested in giving yourself the best shot at COA, you should be thinking about taking classes with some of the more influential professors at your school (who might be willing to make calls on your behalf), and getting to know them as well as possible over the next year to get solid recs.

Where are you working this summer, and what are you shooting for next summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you can maintain top 1-2% through the next two semesters, you should be in great shape for at least fed. dist. ct., and have a shot at COA, especially in the circuit your school is located in. Look at where your school has placed clerks the last few years to get an idea of where you have a good shot.

I'm assuming you will grade on to LR with those grades, which helps. If you are really interested in giving yourself the best shot at COA, you should be thinking about taking classes with some of the more influential professors at your school (who might be willing to make calls on your behalf), and getting to know them as well as possible over the next year to get solid recs.

Where are you working this summer, and what are you shooting for next summer?

Thanks. Yes I will grade onto LR. Appreciate the advice about getting to know influential professors. Currently federal judicial intern + RAing (continuing w/same prof next year). LRW TA next year. Shooting for top firm next summer.

I would really prefer COA, though. My school has placed ~5 each year.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. Yes I will grade onto LR. Appreciate the advice about getting to know influential professors. Currently federal judicial intern + RAing (continuing w/same prof next year). LRW TA next year. Shooting for top firm next summer.

I would really prefer COA, though. My school has placed ~5 each year.

Keep your grades up and you'll definitely be in contention. And of course, build connections with professors who will write recommendations for you (and ideally make calls for you)

Of course, make sure you want to do a clerkship. While most people I know loved their experience, it would be good to know what you're getting yourself into!

Return to “Legal Employment”