holding biglaw offer while doing public sector job search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CyLaw

Gold

holding biglaw offer while doing public sector job search

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Apologies if this is discussed somewhere else. Please link if you know where it was discussed. I did a quick search and did not get any hits.

Main Question:
My understanding of the NALP guidelines is that you can hold onto one biglaw offer until April 1st while looking for a public sector 2L job. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this and how willing firms have been to giving you the extension.

Random, mostly unnecessary background info:
I want to work for the federal government my 2L summer, but my two top choices for 2L summer programs don't make hiring decisions until late Feb / early Mar. I don't want to accept another government position before those timeframes because these two are by far my top choices. I am worried that if I am not accepted to those programs, it will be too late to apply for other government jobs. I am very hopeful of getting my top choice because I was offered it as a 1L but could not accept as I already accepted elsewhere. If I could hold onto a firm offer until April, that would help alleviate my concerns while waiting to hear about my top choices and help me not chicken out and accept another government job earlier.

Anonymous User

Re: holding biglaw offer while doing public sector job search

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:53 pm

From my understanding, it depends upon the firm, the office, and its needs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Talk to your career services and then your firm. I would not rely too much on any NALP deadlines to protect/help you.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. I plan on calling my CSO on Monday to ask what they know about it. Considering Cornell is not really known for public sector, I don't know if they have experienced it much but I will ask in case someone did it last year.

I kinda just wanted to know people's thoughts on it and if anyone knew anyone who held an offer why looking for public sector jobs. If it is not likely that firms will allow the extension till April, then I probably just won't do OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Why not just do both? Worst that could happen is you wasted some time doing interviews, CLs, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why not just do both? Worst that could happen is you wasted some time doing interviews, CLs, etc.
I'm considering it. Main drawback is that it sucks away a week of time that I could spend with my wife (we live apart). I will only get to see her for 3 weeks at the end of this summer and Cornell scheduled the August Career Fair for that time. I will probably just suck it up and go.

boaltrising3l

New

Post by boaltrising3l » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Just accept and reneg, there's nothing the firm can do about it. I know countless people who have renegged at our school, theres absolutely no consequences to doing so.

jonas

Bronze

Post by jonas » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:03 am

boaltrising3l wrote:Just accept and reneg, there's nothing the firm can do about it. I know countless people who have renegged at our school, theres absolutely no consequences to doing so.
OP, I would discourage you from following this advice. Barring extraordinary circumstances, you should not reneg once you've accepted a job. The legal world is remarkably small and interconnected.

If I were you, I would try to split the summer between the firm and the government. That really seems like the best option here.

If you decide against splitting and want to hold out for the government job, then I think you have to be reasonably candid with the firm. If by, say, mid-December you still haven't accepted their offer and the firm asks you why, you should explain your situation to the recruiting coordinator (with a phone call, not by email); explain that you really like the firm and that you're not holding open any other firms' offers; and politely request an extension to April 1, per the NALP guidelines.

The firm is not going to retract your SA offer just because you asked this question. The worst they are likely to say is, "Sorry, but we can't grant that extension. We need an answer from you by ___."

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:30 am

boaltrising3l wrote:Just accept and reneg, there's nothing the firm can do about it. I know countless people who have renegged at our school, theres absolutely no consequences to doing so.
if extension doesn't work then this, especially if you are going into government instead of private firms
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:22 am

jonas wrote:
OP, I would discourage you from following this advice. Barring extraordinary circumstances, you should not reneg once you've accepted a job. The legal world is remarkably small and interconnected.
Oh my gawd, if I hear this one more time I will puke.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:58 am

jonas wrote:

If I were you, I would try to split the summer between the firm and the government. That really seems like the best option here.

If you decide against splitting and want to hold out for the government job, then I think you have to be reasonably candid with the firm. If by, say, mid-December you still haven't accepted their offer and the firm asks you why, you should explain your situation to the recruiting coordinator (with a phone call, not by email); explain that you really like the firm and that you're not holding open any other firms' offers; and politely request an extension to April 1, per the NALP guidelines.

The firm is not going to retract your SA offer just because you asked this question. The worst they are likely to say is, "Sorry, but we can't grant that extension. We need an answer from you by ___."
This. Especially with federal agencies, many biglaw firms are happy to let you split your summer; it looks good for them and for you.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Does anyone know where we can read these NALP rules? I thought there was an exception for public sector offers.

jonas

Bronze

Post by jonas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:44 pm

GMVarun wrote:Does anyone know where we can read these NALP rules? I thought there was an exception for public sector offers.
http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinc ... dstandards

See part V.B.2:

"Candidates may request that an employer extend the deadline to accept the employer’s offer until as late as April 1 if the candidate is actively pursuing positions with public interest or government organizations. Candidates may hold open only one offer in such circumstances. Employers are encouraged to grant such requests."

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Ah okay. Great, thanks for the link.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”