3.1, 3.0 at T6 - where should I be aiming

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

3.1, 3.0 at T6 - where should I be aiming

Postby 100Kworthit? » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:40 am

So apparently I'm a terrible test taker- but have a decent job for 1 L summer [in house + additional side work]

I dont know if my school factors in at all but I will definiately still be trying for something in top 100 as a reach, anyone have suggestions to how low I should be aiming? Thanks

Re: 3.1, 3.0 at T6 - where should I be aiming

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:49 pm

You need to do much more than simply bid low ranked Vault firms.

1) OCI is not like law school admissions. It doesn't necessarily get any easier to get into a particular firm (numbers wise) as you go down the Vault ranking. If a V90 has a smaller summer class than a V30, they may be more selective because they can afford to give callbacks only to the top X% of applicants and still fill their summer class. The default rule is to bid large NYC firms with big summer classes, from V20 on down.

2) Your 1L job is unlikely to give you any real boost. What would help is relevant work experience or an IP degree. If you don't have that, you need to a) mass mail every firm in NYC, your school's market, and any markets you have ties to BEFORE OCI, b) try to pick up every available interview you can during add-drop/open sign up, c) go to every hospitality suite, including V5 or V10 firms you think you don't have a shot at.

Return to “Legal Employment”