Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawstudent1986
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

Postby lawstudent1986 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 am

Class ranks haven't been published yet but I'm fairly confident I'll be in at least the top 15% at GW (finished with a 3.8 this year). I really have NO idea how to approach this whole OCI thing and have no idea what's realistic/barely know what I want. Not really so enthralled by the whole idea of biglaw, but figure it's worth giving it a shot for 2L summer. Not so into New York, would prefer to stay in DC, litigation and/or regulatory practice both sound mildly appealing. Anyone have any idea on what's realistic and/or what I should be shooting for?? Thanks!!

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:51 am

3.8 is only top 15%? How much grade inflation could you possibly have?

lawstudent1986
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

Re: Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

Postby lawstudent1986 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 am

bceagles182 wrote:3.8 is only top 15%? How much grade inflation could you possibly have?


It's just that GW does not give out individual class ranks for 1Ls, they only separate it into top 1-15% and top 16-35%. I don't have much to go on, but I suspect that a 3.8 is at least in the top 5-10% if not higher. This is mostly speculation though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:00 pm

1) Apply to all (or at least 20, if there are more than that this year) NY Regional firms -- even if you don't want NY, that's where the jobs are at, and you need to apply. You'll probably get 15/20 screening interviews right there.

2) Apply to a wide range of firms at OCI. With your grades you realistically have a shot at any firm coming to GW (since some top firms, like Wachtell, don't come), but you still want to spread your bids -- check out firm profiles on Above the Law's Career Center, Chambers, and Vault (the CDO can help you with subscription access if you need it), and apply where you think you can see yourself working. You'll probably get 20-25 screening interviews during OCI if you use the max amount of bids, since its all pre-select and firms generally like to interview people with the highest grades.

3) If there are any other firms you are interested in that don't come to OCI, send in your resume/cover letter as soon as the rankings officially post. Some of these might include high-end litigation boutiques, or firms in secondary markets that you like for whatever reason.

4) While biglaw obviously has its advantages, if you really don't want that and instead are interested in the paid DOJ/other government positions, be ready to apply by 9/1. There are essay questions and such you need to fill out for those, so don't leave it until the last minute.

5) Always smile, wear a suit, and bring extra copies of everything. Make sure to be able to tell a good story or 2 about something you did this summer (legal-related). With your grades, you should have no problem getting a bunch of callbacks and offers, so long as you are personable and easy to talk to. Good luck.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

Postby 2011Cycle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:03 pm

What % of GW's OCI slots are pre-select versus biddable? thanks

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8445
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 pm

With your grades (which are MUCH higher than top 15%) you should bid on any firm you think you might enjoy working at.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:18 pm

2011Cycle wrote:What % of GW's OCI slots are pre-select versus biddable? thanks

Not sure what you're trying to ask, but I'll hopefully provide some context. All firms, at all schools, are "biddable" (though I've never heard that term before); people bid on firms during OCI.

After bidding, there are pre-selections and lotteries. Pre-select means a firm reviews all the cover letters/resumes, and choose who to give screening interviews to. A lottery is just that -- you bid on firms you want to interview with (sometimes ranking them) and it's a lottery to see who you get (with the firm not having a choice).

At GW, it's all pre-select, with no lottery. Hence, fewer people (those with the higher grades) get interviews, but those that do tend to get a lot of them. This is in contrast with many T14 schools, where everyone gets interviews, at a relatively equal number (since lotteries are used, or sometimes a mix of lotteries and pre-selects).

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Top 15% at GW -- bidding strategy?

Postby 2011Cycle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:What % of GW's OCI slots are pre-select versus biddable? thanks

Not sure what you're trying to ask, but I'll hopefully provide some context. All firms, at all schools, are "biddable" (though I've never heard that term before); people bid on firms during OCI.

After bidding, there are pre-selections and lotteries. Pre-select means a firm reviews all the cover letters/resumes, and choose who to give screening interviews to. A lottery is just that -- you bid on firms you want to interview with (sometimes ranking them) and it's a lottery to see who you get (with the firm not having a choice).

At GW, it's all pre-select, with no lottery. Hence, fewer people (those with the higher grades) get interviews, but those that do tend to get a lot of them. This is in contrast with many T14 schools, where everyone gets interviews, at a relatively equal number (since lotteries are used, or sometimes a mix of lotteries and pre-selects).


Thanks you-- you did answer my question. The school I am enrolling has 85% of slots as pre-select(as you described) and 15% are like the T14 system you described.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.