.03 below median @ lower t14 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

.03 below median @ lower t14

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:47 am

Focusing my main bids on more "realistic" NYC firms, but I'm wondering if I should add in a couple of very competitive firms (like Debevoise, Simpson Thacher, Davis Polk, etc) at the very bottom of my list? (so I wouldn't be "throwing away" any bids if I did this)

Thoughts? I know it would be a longshot to get a CB from one of these firms w/ my GPA. But would it even be a longshot? Or would it be a complete waste of time and energy?

timbs4339

Gold

Re: .03 below median @ lower t14

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Focusing my main bids on more "realistic" NYC firms, but I'm wondering if I should add in a couple of very competitive firms (like Debevoise, Simpson Thacher, Davis Polk, etc) at the very bottom of my list? (so I wouldn't be "throwing away" any bids if I did this)

Thoughts? I know it would be a longshot to get a CB from one of these firms w/ my GPA. But would it even be a longshot? Or would it be a complete waste of time and energy?
This is a good strategy, because those firms are often underbid. Many people find if they bid top firms at the bottom of their bidlist they get those interviews over big, unselective firms in the middle of their list.

IMO DPW, STB are probably a complete waste of time. But P+W, K+E, Debevoise are good reaches. I wouldn't do it (I'd try to ID some smaller NYC firms that won't fill their schedules) but some people have very good interviews when they go in without the pressure of knowing "this is my target firm, and I have to get a callback" and come off as loose and confident as a result.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:51 am

Rounding out the bottom of your bid list with gigantic selective firms is smart. As the above poster noted, some V5/V10 firms are picky enough that it still won't be worth it, but plenty will. A lot of people make the mistake of taking their median grades and ignoring a huge swath of firms that hire MOSTLY from the top third or top quarter, but will seriously consider a ~median student. The result is massive competition for interview slots at less selective firms - essentially turning them into quite competitive firms from the point of view of any given student at the school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:35 am

OP here. Thanks so much! What about firms like Gibson Dunn, Latham, Cleary Gottlieb, Ropes & Gray, and WilmerHale? I only know their average GPAs. How comparatively selective/grades obsessed are they compared with the other big firms?

I'm already bidding on some of the less competitive smaller firms, just above where these gigantic reach firms would be on my bidlist.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:47 pm

1. Top bid slot for Cravath
2. Get offer
3. ????
4. Profit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”