AUSA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AUSA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:48 am

how competitive is it to get such a position? Where should one who has interest in getting litigation experience under there belt go if AUSA proves too competitive?

UCLAtransfer

Re: AUSA

Postby UCLAtransfer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:50 am

Why anon?

It's incredibly competitive. You can't really get a job as an AUSA right out of law school. (Someone will invariably pipe in and mention anecdotally how they heard of it happening once, but for all practical purposes you typically need a couple years of experience.) Most AUSAs, at least in the bigger cities, seem to come from the fed clerkship and/or Biglaw litigation route, with a minority coming from DA's offices. From my experience interviewing with a few different offices for 1L summer, working in one office for the summer, and getting to know some AUSAs in another office, they really like to hire past interns. Also, from what I have seen, most AUSAs either went to T14 schools, or very strong regional schools.

As to your second question, civil litigation or criminal litigation?

Also, their belt not there belt. Sorry, had to do it.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:how competitive is it to get such a position? Where should one who has interest in getting litigation experience under there belt go if AUSA proves too competitive?

Very (especially depending on the location SDNY > District Nebraska). Very much lucky to get one at any point in practice from any law school. Hiring practices depended on the USA in charge, some love T14 biglaw folks, others love regional lawyers who have been local DAs and such for a significant period of time (valuing practical court room experience over prestige). Most offices try to find a mix. I have seen Circuit Court Harvard grads have trouble getting in, while a bottom 3rd TTT graduate who busted his as as small town DA get in.
As for experience, Good law school then clerk in area or for a very respected judge nationally (see DC circuit and such), then prestigious with lit experience (Manhattan (insert large local city) DA or BigLaw, and then connections in politics, to ex or current AUSA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:51 am

UCLAtransfer wrote:Why anon?

It's incredibly competitive. You can't really get a job as an AUSA right out of law school. (Someone will invariably pipe in and mention anecdotally how they heard of it happening once, but for all practical purposes you typically need a couple years of experience.) Most AUSAs, at least in the bigger cities, seem to come from the fed clerkship and/or Biglaw litigation route, with a minority coming from DA's offices. From my experience interviewing with a few different offices for 1L summer, working in one office for the summer, and getting to know some AUSAs in another office, they really like to hire past interns. Also, from what I have seen, most AUSAs either went to T14 schools, or very strong regional schools.

As to your second question, civil litigation or criminal litigation?

Also, their belt not there belt. Sorry, had to do it.

Civil litigation.

So it seems like the route of getting litigation experience is a big city DA office...are there any other fed. gov. opportunities for litigation experience?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 pm

The easiest way to get hired by the AUSA is to be accepted into the DOJ Honors program. It's possible to get a USAO gig straight out of school from that, and Honors Program people are given preference for future openings.

I know the Dallas / Plano USAO offices draw heavily from the Dallas DA and local lit firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:13 pm

kalvano wrote:The easiest way to get hired by the AUSA is to be accepted into the DOJ Honors program. It's possible to get a USAO gig straight out of school from that, and Honors Program people are given preference for future openings.

I know the Dallas / Plano USAO offices draw heavily from the Dallas DA and local lit firms.

DOJ honors is absurdly competitive thought, isn't it?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:The easiest way to get hired by the AUSA is to be accepted into the DOJ Honors program. It's possible to get a USAO gig straight out of school from that, and Honors Program people are given preference for future openings.

DOJ honors is absurdly competitive thought, isn't it?

It's pretty competitive. I don't think it's quite as competitive as some people on here make it out to be, but it's tough. All the government honors programs are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Ellie80

Postby Ellie80 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 pm

High school mock trial advisor did the following:

Litigation associate at a Big Firm--> AUSA (at the most prestigious AUSA in the country)--> Counsel at a Big Firm

She is good. Really good.

Return to “Legal Employment”