Mich OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any White & Case NYC offers?


Bump. Any W&C New York offers? I heard there were a few Michigan call backs...


I got dinged via email after the cb. I thought the interview went really well. No idea what the problem is. I also got dinged by another very similar firm. Although I have 5 more firms to hear from, 3 of them have kept me waiting for more than a week. I am seriously worried about striking out now.


How long after your CB did they ding you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any DPW offers yet?



Yeah, I got an offer 2 days ago (interviewed 3 days ago). NY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:54 pm

How many others are still offer'less? I have had 6 CBs (DC), 2 last week and 4 week before...and so far 2 dings out of first 4 and silence on rest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:01 pm

1 callback. 1 offer. Winning!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1 callback. 1 offer. Winning!


congrats! which firm? (or at least, which market?)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1 callback. 1 offer. Winning!


hahahaha same actually

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many others are still offer'less? I have had 6 CBs (DC), 2 last week and 4 week before...and so far 2 dings out of first 4 and silence on rest.


same here. 7 cbs (mostly nyc). 3 rejections and 4 silence. time to panic?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any White & Case NYC offers?


Bump. Any W&C New York offers? I heard there were a few Michigan call backs...


I got dinged via email after the cb. I thought the interview went really well. No idea what the problem is. I also got dinged by another very similar firm. Although I have 5 more firms to hear from, 3 of them have kept me waiting for more than a week. I am seriously worried about striking out now.


How long after your CB did they ding you?

within a week

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby existenz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many others are still offer'less? I have had 6 CBs (DC), 2 last week and 4 week before...and so far 2 dings out of first 4 and silence on rest.

same here. 7 cbs (mostly nyc). 3 rejections and 4 silence. time to panic?

Wait until you have 7 rejections before hitting the panic button.

I think because Michigan had one of the latest OCIs, a lot of people are on hold until firms sort out how many of their previous offerees are actually coming.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:51 pm

existenz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many others are still offer'less? I have had 6 CBs (DC), 2 last week and 4 week before...and so far 2 dings out of first 4 and silence on rest.

same here. 7 cbs (mostly nyc). 3 rejections and 4 silence. time to panic?

Wait until you have 7 rejections before hitting the panic button.

I think because Michigan had one of the latest OCIs, a lot of people are on hold until firms sort out how many of their previous offerees are actually coming.


This plus the fact that firms prefer NYC schools anyway. Sucks for people who are not at the very top of the class. Is the market going to be cold when you wait until you get all the rejections?

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby existenz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the market going to be cold when you wait until you get all the rejections?

Well, probably not a good idea to sit around and do nothing if you don't have an offer yet. I can't speak to how cold any market is after September, but common sense says it will be tough. Plenty of 2Ls get their summer jobs in late fall and winter, it just takes hustling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:38 pm

I get the sense that our school hasn't fared so well during this OCI season. Maybe it's because our EIW starts later, or maybe it's something else. I've done okay so far, but I know a lot of people who are struggling. Anyone else get a similar sense?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I get the sense that our school hasn't fared so well during this OCI season. Maybe it's because our EIW starts later, or maybe it's something else. I've done okay so far, but I know a lot of people who are struggling. Anyone else get a similar sense?


I've got the opposite sense, actually. Most people I know have offers. Really hard to form a general picture when you only have a select group of acquaintances.

I have top grades and didn't fare so well though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get the sense that our school hasn't fared so well during this OCI season. Maybe it's because our EIW starts later, or maybe it's something else. I've done okay so far, but I know a lot of people who are struggling. Anyone else get a similar sense?


I've got the opposite sense, actually. Most people I know have offers. Really hard to form a general picture when you only have a select group of acquaintances.

I have top grades and didn't fare so well though.


I got the sense that Michigan did well. Very few people at the "I'm fucked and have no offers yet, please help!" session last week. You figure the room would be a lot more full of "so far" strike-outs if there was a huge problem of some sort.

I also talked to a whole bunch of people a few weeks ago who were 100% Public Interest and didn't even do OCI (and looked at me like I had five heads because I did :lol:).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have top grades and didn't fare so well though.


"So well" in what sense? The number of offers, the quality of offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:55 pm

any clifford chance offers yet? it's been over a week since cb for me...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have top grades and didn't fare so well though.


"So well" in what sense? The number of offers, the quality of offers?


Not the anon quoted, but if he does reply, I'm guessing he's going to say something like "Only 5-7 callbacks and my best offer was only from a V25" and then from there, everybody without top grades is going to whine that he should be happy with what he has, etc., entitled, etc., etc. That's the way these things always go.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have top grades and didn't fare so well though.


"So well" in what sense? The number of offers, the quality of offers?


Not the anon quoted, but if he does reply, I'm guessing he's going to say something like "Only 5-7 callbacks and my best offer was only from a V25" and then from there, everybody without top grades is going to whine that he should be happy with what he has, etc., entitled, etc., etc. That's the way these things always go.


OP here, you're pretty close to being right, but I'll add as a caveat that most of my CBs came through mailing. I don't think it's Michigan's fault at all; I just had bad interview strategy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here, you're pretty close to being right, but I'll add as a caveat that most of my CBs came through mailing. I don't think it's Michigan's fault at all; I just had bad interview strategy.


+1. i'm still offer-less, but i still have 4 more CBs to go, and i'd say about 75% of my CBs came through mass mailing. again, not Michigan's fault. i had a terrible bidding strategy (smaller markets where i genuinely wanted to be, but had no ties). would've definitely bid on NYC firms more if I had the opportunity. to do it again

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby existenz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:08 pm


Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 am

So...is it possible to negotiate for higher pay if you have more than one offer? Or is it possible to ask for more weeks of work, e.g. 12 weeks instead of 10? I know this is a good problem to have, but I am having trouble deciding.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby existenz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So...is it possible to negotiate for higher pay if you have more than one offer? Or is it possible to ask for more weeks of work, e.g. 12 weeks instead of 10? I know this is a good problem to have, but I am having trouble deciding.

Most candidates at top firms have multiple offers. I have never heard of anyone negotiating higher pay or extra weeks for themselves because of that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:27 pm

existenz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So...is it possible to negotiate for higher pay if you have more than one offer? Or is it possible to ask for more weeks of work, e.g. 12 weeks instead of 10? I know this is a good problem to have, but I am having trouble deciding.

Most candidates at top firms have multiple offers. I have never heard of anyone negotiating higher pay or extra weeks for themselves because of that.


Is it just the type of thing that doesn't happen, or is it because no one has the balls to ask?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
existenz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So...is it possible to negotiate for higher pay if you have more than one offer? Or is it possible to ask for more weeks of work, e.g. 12 weeks instead of 10? I know this is a good problem to have, but I am having trouble deciding.

Most candidates at top firms have multiple offers. I have never heard of anyone negotiating higher pay or extra weeks for themselves because of that.


Is it just the type of thing that doesn't happen, or is it because no one has the balls to ask?


There are enough qualified candidates that the firms could easily tell you to fuck off about higher pay. We are not in the best bargaining position ITE. As far as extending a summer, not sure. That could maybe happen after you already start working, but I wouldn't bring it up personally before starting work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
existenz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So...is it possible to negotiate for higher pay if you have more than one offer? Or is it possible to ask for more weeks of work, e.g. 12 weeks instead of 10? I know this is a good problem to have, but I am having trouble deciding.

Most candidates at top firms have multiple offers. I have never heard of anyone negotiating higher pay or extra weeks for themselves because of that.


Is it just the type of thing that doesn't happen, or is it because no one has the balls to ask?


It doesn't happen. Turn down the offers you're not taking (keep maybe top 2...so others can get off waitlists) then decide.

This is about the most retarded question I've ever seen asked.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.