Mich OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't apologize. There is no reason for any of us to have animosity toward each other. Tensions are high and it's easy to snap and look for blame but no one is at fault here.


News flash, we're on a curve. I think animosity is appropriate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't apologize. There is no reason for any of us to have animosity toward each other. Tensions are high and it's easy to snap and look for blame but no one is at fault here.


News flash, we're on a curve. I think animosity is appropriate.


Well, then just enjoy the fact that there are transfers (at least this transfer, and the same one that posted about that is a strike out so far) that are just as miserable (if not moreso) than you are.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:38 pm

I am a transfer student that has received a few callbacks, however, none through EIW so far. One cb was the same day, one was after a week, and another took close to three weeks. Now is not the time to freak out, be patient.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't apologize. There is no reason for any of us to have animosity toward each other. Tensions are high and it's easy to snap and look for blame but no one is at fault here.


News flash, we're on a curve. I think animosity is appropriate.


You're probably the type of person that blames gravity for your inability to fly. Transfers are a fact of law school life. Get over it.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't apologize. There is no reason for any of us to have animosity toward each other. Tensions are high and it's easy to snap and look for blame but no one is at fault here.


News flash, we're on a curve. I think animosity is appropriate.


OCI is not curved. This isn't the Michigan spirit. If you think it is, don't post anonymously and let your opinion be known.

The transfers did not affect your GPA, bidding strategy, or interviewing ability.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby keg411 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I'll go non-anonymously for the rest of this thread, since I'm the transfer who did terribly at OCI and very pessimistic about my chances at getting something (and a lot of people pretty much know it and who I am). For those of us that have tentatively "struck out" (especially if our interviewers have given CB's), it sucks and it's miserable and it really makes me (at least) think I have a miserable personality and am a terrible interviewer and I went about "selling myself" at OCI all wrong, and it's an opportunity I'm never going to get back. Not to mention that I've had CB's from mass mailing and I'm starting to think I "bombed" those as well so OCI went so poorly.

So I can certainly see the native students who aren't doing well being just as upset and taking it out on others. I know it's not the "Michigan spirit" but as someone else who is very unhappy, I can see where they are coming from. It's a huge self-esteem blow and it really hurts.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:59 pm

keg411 wrote:I'll go non-anonymously for the rest of this thread, since I'm the transfer who did terribly at OCI and very pessimistic about my chances at getting something (and a lot of people pretty much know it and who I am). For those of us that have tentatively "struck out" (especially if our interviewers have given CB's), it sucks and it's miserable and it really makes me (at least) think I have a miserable personality and am a terrible interviewer and I went about "selling myself" at OCI all wrong, and it's an opportunity I'm never going to get back. Not to mention that I've had CB's from mass mailing and I'm starting to think I "bombed" those as well so OCI went so poorly.

So I can certainly see the native students who aren't doing well being just as upset and taking it out on others. I know it's not the "Michigan spirit" but as someone else who is very unhappy, I can see where they are coming from. It's a huge self-esteem blow and it really hurts.


I am not a transfer student and while I have only met a few, the few I have met have been some really nice, interesting, intelligent people. I think you know this, but it is way too early to be saying you "did terribly at OCI." Sure, you may not have a CB or multiple CBs yet, and others may. But keep in mind that people with multiple CB who get multiple offers can only accept one. This is the beginning, not the end of this process. Keep applying and keep your head up. There are non-OCI venues that you should and probably are pursuing as well.

Some of the competition for some markets (or some top firms within those markets) was absolutely ridiculous. One firm interviewer asked me if Michigan's GPA was inflated because all he saw were 3.7 - 3.9s. And to some extent, while interviewing/personality matters, interviewers may not know how to treat your/transfer GPAs.

All I am saying is chill, relax, breathe. Do not be upset and do not take it out on others. This attitude will only hurt you. Enjoy Ann Arbor while you have a little free time. It is a great day. Good luck to everyone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:46 pm

blowhard wrote:OCI is not curved. This isn't the Michigan spirit. If you think it is, don't post anonymously and let your opinion be known.

The transfers did not affect your GPA, bidding strategy, or interviewing ability.


Transfers aren't my point. Michigan is curved. OCI success depends mostly on grades. "Spirit" doesn't matter and, at Michigan, people who say this are just part of a limited clique and like to act like you're the whole school. Animosity at other people is built into the system because the system is curved. You can either admit this or not admit this, but it's a fact that can't be avoided.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby existenz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfers aren't my point. Michigan is curved. OCI success depends mostly on grades. "Spirit" doesn't matter and, at Michigan, people who say this are just part of a limited clique and like to act like you're the whole school. Animosity at other people is built into the system because the system is curved. You can either admit this or not admit this, but it's a fact that can't be avoided.

Your assumption that a transfer who kicked butt at their school wouldn't have also kicked your butt is wrong. If anything, you should be glad they weren't here during 1L crowding out the top end of the curve.

Now let's drop the cliched "blame the transfer" b.s. It's pointless and mean.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blowhard wrote:OCI is not curved. This isn't the Michigan spirit. If you think it is, don't post anonymously and let your opinion be known.

The transfers did not affect your GPA, bidding strategy, or interviewing ability.


Transfers aren't my point. Michigan is curved. OCI success depends mostly on grades. "Spirit" doesn't matter and, at Michigan, people who say this are just part of a limited clique and like to act like you're the whole school. Animosity at other people is built into the system because the system is curved. You can either admit this or not admit this, but it's a fact that can't be avoided.


I think you confuse competition with animosity. A curve breeds competition but need not breed animosity. I dare say you are the minority on this point...

Are we curved? Sure. But when I miss class I have people who give me notes and I reciprocate. Could that affect my grade in some way...maybe. But I, and most others, still do it. I don't feel any negative feelings towards others simply because we are in competition.

Also, if you displayed this kind of attitude about competition in your interviews, I understand why you may not have CBs. Associates are in competition for hours, work, bonuses, etc but firms still want people to get along and support each other.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby crazyblink653 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:06 pm

existenz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Transfers aren't my point. Michigan is curved. OCI success depends mostly on grades. "Spirit" doesn't matter and, at Michigan, people who say this are just part of a limited clique and like to act like you're the whole school. Animosity at other people is built into the system because the system is curved. You can either admit this or not admit this, but it's a fact that can't be avoided.

Your assumption that a transfer who kicked butt at their school wouldn't have also kicked your butt is wrong. If anything, you should be glad they weren't here during 1L crowding out the top end of the curve.

Now let's drop the cliched "blame the transfer" b.s. It's pointless and mean.


i don't know who you are, but as a transfer it's good to know there are people like you at Michigan. that said, i can understand why some people are super anxious and finding anyone they can blame for a rough week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Anyone hear back from Skadden Chicago?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Bay area rejection dates from last year's OCI as a reference. Enjoy:


24-Aug-10 Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati ding email 8/27/2010
24-Aug-10 Morgan Lewis & Bockius ding email 8/31/2010
26-Aug-10 Nixon Peabody ding email 9/1/2010
24-Aug-10 Morrison & Foerster ding email 9/3/2010
25-Aug-10 Jones Day ding email 9/2/2010
25-Aug-10 Latham & Watkins ding mail 8/28/2010
25-Aug-10 Cooley Godward Kronish ding snailmail 9/2/2010
24-Aug-10 O'Melveny & [deleted] ding snailmail 9/3/2010
24-Aug-10 Schiff Hardin ding snailmail 9/7/2010
27-Aug-10 Perkins Coie ding email 9/17/2010

LA rejection dates from last year:

25-Aug-10 Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker ding snailmail 9/7/2010
26-Aug-10 Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy ding snailmail 9/17/2010
24-Aug-10 Proskauer Rose ding email 9/7/2010

California callback time frames (some are anecdotal)

26-Aug-10 Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy (LA) 9/2/2010
26-Aug-10 Chapman and Cutler 9/15/2010
25-Aug-10 Pillsbury 9/1/2010

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Skadden (LA) made some calls yesterday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bay area rejection dates from last year's OCI as a reference. Enjoy:


24-Aug-10 Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati ding email 8/27/2010
24-Aug-10 Morgan Lewis & Bockius ding email 8/31/2010
26-Aug-10 Nixon Peabody ding email 9/1/2010
24-Aug-10 Morrison & Foerster ding email 9/3/2010
25-Aug-10 Jones Day ding email 9/2/2010
25-Aug-10 Latham & Watkins ding mail 8/28/2010
25-Aug-10 Cooley Godward Kronish ding snailmail 9/2/2010
24-Aug-10 O'Melveny & [deleted] ding snailmail 9/3/2010
24-Aug-10 Schiff Hardin ding snailmail 9/7/2010
27-Aug-10 Perkins Coie ding email 9/17/2010

LA rejection dates from last year:

25-Aug-10 Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker ding snailmail 9/7/2010
26-Aug-10 Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy ding snailmail 9/17/2010
24-Aug-10 Proskauer Rose ding email 9/7/2010

California callback time frames (some are anecdotal)

26-Aug-10 Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy (LA) 9/2/2010
26-Aug-10 Chapman and Cutler 9/15/2010
25-Aug-10 Pillsbury 9/1/2010


wow this is awesome. Does anybody have any similar data for Chicago/DC/Michigan firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden (LA) made some calls yesterday.
:(

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blowhard wrote:OCI is not curved. This isn't the Michigan spirit. If you think it is, don't post anonymously and let your opinion be known.

The transfers did not affect your GPA, bidding strategy, or interviewing ability.


Transfers aren't my point. Michigan is curved. OCI success depends mostly on grades. "Spirit" doesn't matter and, at Michigan, people who say this are just part of a limited clique and like to act like you're the whole school. Animosity at other people is built into the system because the system is curved. You can either admit this or not admit this, but it's a fact that can't be avoided.


This attitude is repugnant. He wasn't saying "spirit" gets you callbacks, he was saying it's contrary to the values of our community to express animosity toward transfers, and it is. This is a public forum, and your statements reflect negatively on our school. Blowhard does speak for the school when he says we don't believe in harboring ill will toward transfers.

As to your argument about the curve, transfers' GPAs are not viewed as equal to Michigan GPAs. It's understood that they received their GPA from a different institution. The transfers deserve respect for coming to this school knowing nobody and having their first introduction be a brutal week of back-to-back interviews at a hotel. Keep your thoughts to yourself because we don't want you marring this school's reputation with your objectionable commentary.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:21 pm

does anyone have the #'s we're supposed to call to schedule callbacks at debevoise NY and hogan lovells DC? i feel majorly dumb, but i wrote them down on a piece of paper i lost. obviously i don't want to be the jerk on law open asking for that info, and don't want to tell the attorneys i lost it if possible. not sure of a better solution (but i'm open to suggestions).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have the #'s we're supposed to call to schedule callbacks at debevoise NY and hogan lovells DC? i feel majorly dumb, but i wrote them down on a piece of paper i lost. obviously i don't want to be the jerk on law open asking for that info, and don't want to tell the attorneys i lost it if possible. not sure of a better solution (but i'm open to suggestions).


Hogan Lovells is (redacted)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have the #'s we're supposed to call to schedule callbacks at debevoise NY and hogan lovells DC? i feel majorly dumb, but i wrote them down on a piece of paper i lost. obviously i don't want to be the jerk on law open asking for that info, and don't want to tell the attorneys i lost it if possible. not sure of a better solution (but i'm open to suggestions).


Hogan Lovells is 202-637-5401


PM'd Debevoise NY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have the #'s we're supposed to call to schedule callbacks at debevoise NY and hogan lovells DC? i feel majorly dumb, but i wrote them down on a piece of paper i lost. obviously i don't want to be the jerk on law open asking for that info, and don't want to tell the attorneys i lost it if possible. not sure of a better solution (but i'm open to suggestions).


Hogan Lovells is 202-637-5401


PM'd Debevoise NY.


Thanks so much!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have the #'s we're supposed to call to schedule callbacks at debevoise NY and hogan lovells DC? i feel majorly dumb, but i wrote them down on a piece of paper i lost. obviously i don't want to be the jerk on law open asking for that info, and don't want to tell the attorneys i lost it if possible. not sure of a better solution (but i'm open to suggestions).


Hogan Lovells is 202-637-5401


PM'd Debevoise NY.


Thanks so much!


This is the fool who lost the #'s. I didn't get the Debevoise PM (maybe b/c of the anonymous posting?). Is someone willing to just post it here?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't apologize. There is no reason for any of us to have animosity toward each other. Tensions are high and it's easy to snap and look for blame but no one is at fault here.


News flash, we're on a curve. I think animosity is appropriate.


It's unfortunate that you feel that way.

As a transfer I would like to wish you the best of luck and I really hope your position on us changes once you inevitably find a job.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby keg411 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't apologize. There is no reason for any of us to have animosity toward each other. Tensions are high and it's easy to snap and look for blame but no one is at fault here.


News flash, we're on a curve. I think animosity is appropriate.


It's unfortunate that you feel that way.

As a transfer I would like to wish you the best of luck and I really hope your position on us changes once you inevitably find a job.


Like I said before, I think people are frustrated and upset so as a transfers I can see why that poster lashed out. I'm certianly, but I'm blaming myself for not interviewing well and not my transfer/native classmates who have been nothing but awesome so far and deserve the CB's they are getting. I also plan to be bothering OCP daily until they hate me more than my interviewers apparently did :lol:.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have the #'s we're supposed to call to schedule callbacks at debevoise NY and hogan lovells DC? i feel majorly dumb, but i wrote them down on a piece of paper i lost. obviously i don't want to be the jerk on law open asking for that info, and don't want to tell the attorneys i lost it if possible. not sure of a better solution (but i'm open to suggestions).


Did anyone get a Debevoise CB from JB?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.