Mich OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Law School one. Are you sure? I can't get it to work on any computer.


I'm in it right now, and have been in and out all day.

Also, why is this anonymous? Seriously people, not everything needs to be anonymous.

Edit: Not trying to be bitchy, but this makes it so much harder to keep track/reply to one person.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Has anyone gotten off a "waitlist" yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:55 pm

When the interview list originally came out, I did not have an interview for Skadden NY. On Monday evening, I noticed that I did have an interview with them, so I guess I got off their wait list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Nice! Would you mind sharing where you bid them? I missed them at 25...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:13 pm

I bid Skadden NY at 12.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I bid Skadden NY at 12.


Whelp, so much for that! Shocked that they went so quickly with over a 3.6 median...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:31 am

anybody else have multiple "mingle" events on the same night at the same time? anyone know how long we're expected to stay at each one and whether it's feasible to go to more than one?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:anybody else have multiple "mingle" events on the same night at the same time? anyone know how long we're expected to stay at each one and whether it's feasible to go to more than one?


I assume you're talking about Kirkland and Jenner. I just saw that email as well. I imagine it's certainly feasible to go to more than one in a night, as they probably don't expect you to be there for the full couple of hours. In fact, if you were "that guy" who spent two hours talking to recruiters the night before your interview, I bet it wouldn't bode so well. TBH, I'm wondering whether it's worth it to go to any of these things. Do you think it actually affects interview chances in a positive way?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anybody else have multiple "mingle" events on the same night at the same time? anyone know how long we're expected to stay at each one and whether it's feasible to go to more than one?


I assume you're talking about Kirkland and Jenner. I just saw that email as well. I imagine it's certainly feasible to go to more than one in a night, as they probably don't expect you to be there for the full couple of hours. In fact, if you were "that guy" who spent two hours talking to recruiters the night before your interview, I bet it wouldn't bode so well. TBH, I'm wondering whether it's worth it to go to any of these things. Do you think it actually affects interview chances in a positive way?


I'm told it's a good way to (a) get to know your interviewers a little before actually sitting through the interview; and (b) create a favorable impression with other lawyers at the firm who may not be interviewing you directly. I think they also want to see that you can interact competently in a social situation (i.e. carry a conversation; not over-booze, etc.). That said, the obvious pitfall is making a huge fool of yourself and ruining your interview chances before you even enter the room. still, i figure i'll show up, mingle for maybe 20 mins and then split.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby rockchalk86 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:14 pm

What should we plan to bring into the screening interviews? Transcript, writing samples, references, extra resumes etc... Am I missing anything?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:28 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:What should we plan to bring into the screening interviews? Transcript, writing samples, references, extra resumes etc... Am I missing anything?


This is what I'm bringing. Next question is padfolio or small briefcase?

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby goodolgil » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Anyone anticipate how they're going to square callback opportunities with the "mandatory" journal orientations that will go on the week after OCI?

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby starchinkilt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:35 pm

blowhard wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:What should we plan to bring into the screening interviews? Transcript, writing samples, references, extra resumes etc... Am I missing anything?


This is what I'm bringing. Next question is padfolio or small briefcase?


Padfolio

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:00 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
blowhard wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:What should we plan to bring into the screening interviews? Transcript, writing samples, references, extra resumes etc... Am I missing anything?


This is what I'm bringing. Next question is padfolio or small briefcase?


Padfolio


Bah, just feels so shitty cramming all that in a padfolio. It's what a briefcase is designed for!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 pm

goodolgil wrote:Anyone anticipate how they're going to square callback opportunities with the "mandatory" journal orientations that will go on the week after OCI?


I was just thinking about this. Going to have to be like the 3rd week of Sept. Don't really want to miss the first class...

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby keg411 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:08 pm

blowhard wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
blowhard wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:What should we plan to bring into the screening interviews? Transcript, writing samples, references, extra resumes etc... Am I missing anything?


This is what I'm bringing. Next question is padfolio or small briefcase?


Padfolio


Bah, just feels so shitty cramming all that in a padfolio. It's what a briefcase is designed for!


True story from my internship: one of our clerks told us about his OCI experience. He did a bunch of screening interviews with a briefcase and wasn't getting callbacks. His OCS noticed and told him to ditch the briefcase and he ran the table after that. After hearing that story, I personally wouldn't risk a briefcase (but then again, I've just been using a pink binder for my pre-OCI interviews and plan to keep using it, so I'm probably not the one to talk :lol:).

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:51 pm

i don't know if this is true of all the journals, but it seems to me that some of them are pretty flexible with their "mandatory" training. one guy i talked to even said that if you need to miss a session for a CB, just let such and such person know. maybe that's not true of all of them, though, so who knows.

also, i would concur with most of the advice above against bringing a briefcase. i've been told it looks pretentious, even if it is a convenient way for handling all those documents. just go with a nice pad folio.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby existenz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 pm

blowhard wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Anyone anticipate how they're going to square callback opportunities with the "mandatory" journal orientations that will go on the week after OCI?

I was just thinking about this. Going to have to be like the 3rd week of Sept. Don't really want to miss the first class...

You guys are pretty confident.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 pm

existenz wrote:
blowhard wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Anyone anticipate how they're going to square callback opportunities with the "mandatory" journal orientations that will go on the week after OCI?

I was just thinking about this. Going to have to be like the 3rd week of Sept. Don't really want to miss the first class...

You guys are pretty confident.


I'd like to hope I get at least one CB. If not, I'll be missing class to beat down doors. So, either way...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 pm

blowhard wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Anyone anticipate how they're going to square callback opportunities with the "mandatory" journal orientations that will go on the week after OCI?


I was just thinking about this. Going to have to be like the 3rd week of Sept. Don't really want to miss the first class...


I also have mandatory journal orientation and I think it's probably better to miss the first week of classes than risk waiting too long for callbacks. I plan on scheduling the firms I want the most the first week of classes and figuring out the rest from there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:40 am

Anyone else get an unprompted email from Skadden? I bid on them and didn't get them and they emailed asking my availability.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else get an unprompted email from Skadden? I bid on them and didn't get them and they emailed asking my availability.


I got one. Is it possible this is a covert pre-select? Make yourself available part of the day, then e-mail people you want to fill other part.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else get an unprompted email from Skadden? I bid on them and didn't get them and they emailed asking my availability.


I got one. Is it possible this is a covert pre-select? Make yourself available part of the day, then e-mail people you want to fill other part.


Whereas some of us did bid on them, didn't get an interview, emailed recruiting and got a generic "come to our hospitality suite!" response :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else get an unprompted email from Skadden? I bid on them and didn't get them and they emailed asking my availability.


I got one. Is it possible this is a covert pre-select? Make yourself available part of the day, then e-mail people you want to fill other part.


That's what I was thinking. But without GPA, it's tough to preselect. I guess they can do it based on Law Review or work experience.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else get an unprompted email from Skadden? I bid on them and didn't get them and they emailed asking my availability.


I got one. Is it possible this is a covert pre-select? Make yourself available part of the day, then e-mail people you want to fill other part.


That's what I was thinking. But without GPA, it's tough to preselect. I guess they can do it based on Law Review or work experience.


I do have LR and prior WE...anything you have that matches up they may be looking at?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.