Mich OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You surely can't be saying that you were in every personal meeting OCS had with a student. I personally know three people around median who wanted to bid chicago/socal/etc. and were told by OCS that if they wanted a job they should bid NYC instead. Sure, this may help those students but they may have had a shot at getting a job in a market they actual want to work in and this also harms the students in that grade range who genuinely want to be in NYC. But, like I said, more interviews doesn't necessarily mean that one is more likely to get a job although I'm sure you would be frustrated if you only got 10 interviews and you can't deny that OCS played a role in this.

Why is this anonymous?

No, I'm not saying that. They didn't exactly tell the entire class that though as was suggested. And who knows, given their GPA that could still have been very good advice for those students.

SweetrollStealer

Postby SweetrollStealer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Has anyone had any luck contacting the firms you didn't get interviews with to see if they can squeeze you in?

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:01 am

nhop wrote:Has anyone had any luck contacting the firms you didn't get interviews with to see if they can squeeze you in?

I sent emails to three and have heard nothing back. Thinking maybe hospitality suite is the way to go.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:15 am

existenz wrote:
nhop wrote:Has anyone had any luck contacting the firms you didn't get interviews with to see if they can squeeze you in?

I sent emails to three and have heard nothing back. Thinking maybe hospitality suite is the way to go.

+1. I've mostly heard nothing, and one firm just said to stop by the suite. Is there a list of firms with suites?

SweetrollStealer

Postby SweetrollStealer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:13 am

starchinkilt wrote:
existenz wrote:

+1. I've mostly heard nothing, and one firm just said to stop by the suite. Is there a list of firms with suites?

Yeah, my experience as well. And I don't think we'll know for sure whether and where a firm has a hospitality suite before next Monday. Which now that I'm writing it seems terribly soon :shock:

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 am

starchinkilt wrote:
existenz wrote:

fwiw this has been my experience at NU. complete silence except 2 firms saying stop by the suite. kind of frustrating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:04 am

traehekat wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
existenz wrote:

fwiw this has been my experience at NU. complete silence except 2 firms saying stop by the suite. kind of frustrating.

Any idea (anyone) how common/easy it is to get interviews from talking to people in hospitality suites?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:09 am

Anyone going to this "casual" White & Case reception at Dominicks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone going to this "casual" White & Case reception at Dominicks?

I got the invite and will probably go since I'm interviewing with them (I assume everyone who is got the invite).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:23 pm

For those mailing firms they missed out bidding on, are you sending a cover letter? My instinct says yes, none of the firms actually require one at OCI. I'm thinking maybe short message in the body of the email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those mailing firms they missed out bidding on, are you sending a cover letter? My instinct says yes, none of the firms actually require one at OCI. I'm thinking maybe short message in the body of the email?

I haven't been, because I don't think much will come of it either way without visiting the hospitality suite. Then again, I haven't gotten a response from the 5 places I've emailed :D

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:43 am

Does anyone else have an interview that ends at the same time as another one starts? Debating if I should keep the first considering I would much prefer the city/firm that I would be late for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those mailing firms they missed out bidding on, are you sending a cover letter? My instinct says yes, none of the firms actually require one at OCI. I'm thinking maybe short message in the body of the email?

I haven't been, because I don't think much will come of it either way without visiting the hospitality suite. Then again, I haven't gotten a response from the 5 places I've emailed :D

FWIW, I picked up an interview by e-mailing firms I didn't get an interview with. Which is odd, if we both have a gap in our schedule during the day, why didn't the system give it to me originally?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW, I picked up an interview by e-mailing firms I didn't get an interview with. Which is odd, if we both have a gap in our schedule during the day, why didn't the system give it to me originally?

Would you mind sharing which firm and what you said in the email? So far I've had nothing but silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 pm

blowhard wrote:Does anyone else have an interview that ends at the same time as another one starts? Debating if I should keep the first considering I would much prefer the city/firm that I would be late for.

I have three back-to-backs like that on the same day :| . I don't want to decline any of the interviews, so I'm going to try to talk to someone in OCP on how to handle it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would you mind sharing which firm and what you said in the email? So far I've had nothing but silence.

I won't out the firm, it's a DC firm with a median two tenths below my GPA (I'm also on LR).

I just said I bid on them and didn't get it, and would appreciate meeting with them if they could accommodate. I e-mailed them a cover letter, resume, transcript, etc all at once.

I got an e-mail back from a different firm saying their schedule was completely full, so your mileage may vary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 pm

OK, what the hell, it seems like I was assigned to interview with Jones Day's Columbus office. I bid them #6 and the only office I showed a preference for on Symplicity was NY. I guess I should contact OCP?

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OK, what the hell, it seems like I was assigned to interview with Jones Day's Columbus office. I bid them #6 and the only office I showed a preference for on Symplicity was NY. I guess I should contact OCP?

Read the e-mail they sent out. Some firms scheduled people to interview with other offices because the office they selected was full for the day. You'll still be interviewing for the NY office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OK, what the hell, it seems like I was assigned to interview with Jones Day's Columbus office. I bid them #6 and the only office I showed a preference for on Symplicity was NY. I guess I should contact OCP?

Are you sure it says you're interviewing for their Columbus office and not just that they're based in Columbus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:25 pm

starchinkilt wrote:

Read the e-mail they sent out. Some firms scheduled people to interview with other offices because the office they selected was full for the day. You'll still be interviewing for the NY office.

I see, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you sure it says you're interviewing for their Columbus office and not just that they're based in Columbus?

It may be this as well as what OCP said with putting people on other schedules (and you may want to check which office your scheduled interviewer(s) are at). And It can also change. For instance, I was originally placed on the Ropes (Chicago) schedule, but now Simplicity has me (correctly) on the Ropes (NY) schedule. Even though my interviewer is from Ropes (Boston) :lol:.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It may be this as well as what OCP said with putting people on other schedules (and you may want to check which office your scheduled interviewer(s) are at). And It can also change. For instance, I was originally placed on the Ropes (Chicago) schedule, but now Simplicity has me (correctly) on the Ropes (NY) schedule. Even though my interviewer is from Ropes (Boston) :lol:.

Yeah, I was sure, but it took me awhile to figure it out. I recommend everyone look closely at their schedule because it can be sort of confusing to figure out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How do you tell which office you're placed with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How do you tell which office you're placed with?

If you don't have an interviewer, look at the office next to the name of the firm (it's usually in parentheses). That might be the home office or the office you're placed with. Whatever it says, I don't think it's something to freak out or worry about since OCP specifically said they may have moved around schedules to get people interviews with overbid offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:04 pm

I emailed OCP about back-to-back interviews. Their response was that a lot of students have them. They said the firms are aware that some students have back to back interviews and might run late.

Their only proposed solution was for me to cancel one of the interviews since there are people on the WL who would be happy to have that slot.

Return to “Legal Employment”