Mich OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Word on the street is people that bid heavily on NY did not do so well this year. However, there seem to be quite a few posters with different results. Puzzling.


If you're referring to UVA, those were preselects and most were happy once slots rolled over to lower GPA people in their actual lottery. That was the only really bad NYC news I heard...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many people are interviewing with different offices than the one you bid on? OCP said some firms did this sort of as a wait list thing. It happened to me twice with Jones Day and Gibson (interviewing with LA when I bid NY).


Would you mind sharing where you bid these firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many people are interviewing with different offices than the one you bid on? OCP said some firms did this sort of as a wait list thing. It happened to me twice with Jones Day and Gibson (interviewing with LA when I bid NY).


Would you mind sharing where you bid these firms?


Jones Day at 6 :shock:
Gibson at 26.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:11 pm

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Word on the street is people that bid heavily on NY did not do so well this year. However, there seem to be quite a few posters with different results. Puzzling.


If you're referring to UVA, those were preselects and most were happy once slots rolled over to lower GPA people in their actual lottery. That was the only really bad NYC news I heard...


This is in reference to Michigan. NY firms were very much overbid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Word on the street is people that bid heavily on NY did not do so well this year. However, there seem to be quite a few posters with different results. Puzzling.


If you're referring to UVA, those were preselects and most were happy once slots rolled over to lower GPA people in their actual lottery. That was the only really bad NYC news I heard...


This is in reference to Michigan. NY firms were very much overbid.


I got 16, all NYC, which is fine by me, and I got 9 out of my top 10 (only missed Sidley NY). I'd like to pick up a few more if possible, but who knows what's even open (does Michigan have an add-drop at all?). I also ended up getting GDC at 28 and DPW at 30 :lol:.

ETA: To the post above, I think the listed offices for Jones Day and GDC are just the main offices/offices the reps are from and not the offices we are actually interviewing for. Because I have the same thing marked with GDC LA and I definitely only bid NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:39 pm

GDC at 28? DPW at 30? Wow, sounds like firms with GPA medians over 3.6 could be snatched with very low bids.
Anonymous User wrote:does Michigan have an add-drop at all?

I've heard that you can drop interviews at any time, at least for the next week. The school will then add someone from the waitlist. Email OCP for details.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby goodolgil » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:41 pm

17, bid all NYC except for three Chicago firms (got 2--Kirkland and Jenner).

Got my top 11 bids so I'm pretty happy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GDC at 28? DPW at 30? Wow, sounds like firms with GPA medians over 3.6 could be snatched with very low bids.
Anonymous User wrote:does Michigan have an add-drop at all?

I've heard that you can drop interviews at any time, at least for the next week. The school will then add someone from the waitlist. Email OCP for details.


I'd guess that besides GDC and DPW, Cravath and S&C could be had down at the bottom. Not sure about Cleary, but based on the listed GPA, I'd guess they were available as well.

However, for informational purposes I missed out on Debevoise, Skadden, STB and Paul Weiss in the same low-bid range.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:GDC at 28? DPW at 30? Wow, sounds like firms with GPA medians over 3.6 could be snatched with very low bids.
Anonymous User wrote:does Michigan have an add-drop at all?

I've heard that you can drop interviews at any time, at least for the next week. The school will then add someone from the waitlist. Email OCP for details.


I'd guess that besides GDC and DPW, Cravath and S&C could be had down at the bottom. Not sure about Cleary, but based on the listed GPA, I'd guess they were available as well.

However, for informational purposes I missed out on Debevoise, Skadden, STB and Paul Weiss in the same low-bid range.


Got Debevoise/DPW and missed Cleary in the 26-30 range.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:19 pm

For DC, I was able to snag a Covington interview at 26... that ought to be entertaining.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:46 pm

14, split between NYC and CHI. On the low end, it seems. Oh well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Just out of curiosity, what are some firms ppl didn't get that they put in their top 10? I got all mine, but I'm just wondering.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:54 pm

My theory is that people who got a low interview count mostly bid heavily on middle-of-the-pack NYC and Chicago firms. Overall though the interview count seems higher than expected.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are some firms ppl didn't get that they put in their top 10? I got all mine, but I'm just wondering.


I didn't get Dewey/Clifford at 7/8. Got 19 total so no big deal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are some firms ppl didn't get that they put in their top 10? I got all mine, but I'm just wondering.


I didn't get Dewey/Clifford at 7/8. Got 19 total so no big deal.


Poster from earlier who said I missed Sidley NYC at 9... I checked my final bid list and actually missed Sidley NYC at 11, so I got my entire top 10.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:55 pm

I got 16 interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:However, for informational purposes I missed out on Debevoise, Skadden, STB and Paul Weiss in the same low-bid range.


Got Debevoise/DPW and missed Cleary in the 26-30 range.

I had Paul Weiss at 21 and didn't get it. The three firms I got past 20 had GPA medians over 3.65.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are some firms ppl didn't get that they put in their top 10? I got all mine, but I'm just wondering.


I didn't get Pilsbury at 5, Hughes Hubbard at 6, Morgan Lewis at 8, and Linklaters at 10 (all NYC). Somehow got Weil at 17. I got on the very low end of interviews but my bidding strategy was to get firms that I had a solid shot at since my grades aren't fantastic. If you want a lot of interviews, bidding NYC firms with a GPA median of 3.2-3.3 isn't a great strategy but sacrificing having a lot of interviews is the trade-off for getting interviews with firms you have a realistic shot at imo (again, this is if you're around median). I kind of feel like OCS screwed us over by telling everyone to bid NYC but there's really nothing I can do now except prep for the interviews I do have and hope for the best.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are some firms ppl didn't get that they put in their top 10? I got all mine, but I'm just wondering.


I didn't get Pilsbury at 5, Hughes Hubbard at 6, Morgan Lewis at 8, and Linklaters at 10 (all NYC). Somehow got Weil at 17. I got on the very low end of interviews but my bidding strategy was to get firms that I had a solid shot at since my grades aren't fantastic. If you want a lot of interviews, bidding NYC firms with a GPA median of 3.2-3.3 isn't a great strategy but sacrificing having a lot of interviews is the trade-off for getting interviews with firms you have a realistic shot at imo (again, this is if you're around median). I kind of feel like OCS screwed us over by telling everyone to bid NYC but there's really nothing I can do now except prep for the interviews I do have and hope for the best.


Were they telling people to bid NYC? Also, isn't that just the nature of the beast? I can't imagine it would be any easier to pick up interviews at lower bids for Chicago or DC firms in that GPA range, and all things considered you probably have a better shot at callback and offer from a New York firm.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are some firms ppl didn't get that they put in their top 10? I got all mine, but I'm just wondering.


I didn't get Pilsbury at 5, Hughes Hubbard at 6, Morgan Lewis at 8, and Linklaters at 10 (all NYC). Somehow got Weil at 17. I got on the very low end of interviews but my bidding strategy was to get firms that I had a solid shot at since my grades aren't fantastic. If you want a lot of interviews, bidding NYC firms with a GPA median of 3.2-3.3 isn't a great strategy but sacrificing having a lot of interviews is the trade-off for getting interviews with firms you have a realistic shot at imo (again, this is if you're around median). I kind of feel like OCS screwed us over by telling everyone to bid NYC but there's really nothing I can do now except prep for the interviews I do have and hope for the best.


Were they telling people to bid NYC? Also, isn't that just the nature of the beast? I can't imagine it would be any easier to pick up interviews at lower bids for Chicago or DC firms in that GPA range, and all things considered you probably have a better shot at callback and offer from a New York firm.


When did this happen? I went to all of the OCS events and never heard them tell people to bid NYC.

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby thalassocrat » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:25 pm

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are some firms ppl didn't get that they put in their top 10? I got all mine, but I'm just wondering.


I didn't get Pilsbury at 5, Hughes Hubbard at 6, Morgan Lewis at 8, and Linklaters at 10 (all NYC). Somehow got Weil at 17. I got on the very low end of interviews but my bidding strategy was to get firms that I had a solid shot at since my grades aren't fantastic. If you want a lot of interviews, bidding NYC firms with a GPA median of 3.2-3.3 isn't a great strategy but sacrificing having a lot of interviews is the trade-off for getting interviews with firms you have a realistic shot at imo (again, this is if you're around median). I kind of feel like OCS screwed us over by telling everyone to bid NYC but there's really nothing I can do now except prep for the interviews I do have and hope for the best.


Were they telling people to bid NYC? Also, isn't that just the nature of the beast? I can't imagine it would be any easier to pick up interviews at lower bids for Chicago or DC firms in that GPA range, and all things considered you probably have a better shot at callback and offer from a New York firm.


When did this happen? I went to all of the OCS events and never heard them tell people to bid NYC.


I don't recall them saying so specifically, but there was a lot of talk about how competitive DC is and how Chicago & CA prefer ties to the market. I know that made me put more bids to NY than I would have otherwise.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:32 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
I don't recall them saying so specifically, but there was a lot of talk about how competitive DC is and how Chicago & CA prefer ties to the market. I know that made me put more bids to NY than I would have otherwise.


Alright, I do remember that but that's not quite the same as saying everyone bid NYC. DC is competitive. Some people still make it without stellar grades but not as many as NYC. Personally, their advice made me bid less on NYC as I figured everyone else would.

logan
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby logan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:17 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I didn't get Pilsbury at 5, Hughes Hubbard at 6, Morgan Lewis at 8, and Linklaters at 10 (all NYC). Somehow got Weil at 17. I got on the very low end of interviews but my bidding strategy was to get firms that I had a solid shot at since my grades aren't fantastic. If you want a lot of interviews, bidding NYC firms with a GPA median of 3.2-3.3 isn't a great strategy but sacrificing having a lot of interviews is the trade-off for getting interviews with firms you have a realistic shot at imo (again, this is if you're around median). I kind of feel like OCS screwed us over by telling everyone to bid NYC but there's really nothing I can do now except prep for the interviews I do have and hope for the best.


Were they telling people to bid NYC? Also, isn't that just the nature of the beast? I can't imagine it would be any easier to pick up interviews at lower bids for Chicago or DC firms in that GPA range, and all things considered you probably have a better shot at callback and offer from a New York firm.


When did this happen? I went to all of the OCS events and never heard them tell people to bid NYC.


I don't recall them saying so specifically, but there was a lot of talk about how competitive DC is and how Chicago & CA prefer ties to the market. I know that made me put more bids to NY than I would have otherwise.


To be fair, I don't think there is anything inaccurate about what they said. While it may have resulted in some NY overbidding, it will still (likely) be relatively easier in NY to turn those fewer offers into callbacks and offers. And the fact is, even those who received fewer interviews got about as many as was average last year.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby existenz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:49 am

I don't think this is a case of NY overbidding. If that were the case, Weil wouldn't be available at 17. This is all about GPA. A lot of people were simply conservative in their bidding. In such an environment firms with very low GPA medians, such as Pillsbury, are destined to go quick (and especially Pillsbury since they are interviewing for 5 offices).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273147
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:23 am

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are some firms ppl didn't get that they put in their top 10? I got all mine, but I'm just wondering.


I didn't get Pilsbury at 5, Hughes Hubbard at 6, Morgan Lewis at 8, and Linklaters at 10 (all NYC). Somehow got Weil at 17. I got on the very low end of interviews but my bidding strategy was to get firms that I had a solid shot at since my grades aren't fantastic. If you want a lot of interviews, bidding NYC firms with a GPA median of 3.2-3.3 isn't a great strategy but sacrificing having a lot of interviews is the trade-off for getting interviews with firms you have a realistic shot at imo (again, this is if you're around median). I kind of feel like OCS screwed us over by telling everyone to bid NYC but there's really nothing I can do now except prep for the interviews I do have and hope for the best.


Were they telling people to bid NYC? Also, isn't that just the nature of the beast? I can't imagine it would be any easier to pick up interviews at lower bids for Chicago or DC firms in that GPA range, and all things considered you probably have a better shot at callback and offer from a New York firm.


When did this happen? I went to all of the OCS events and never heard them tell people to bid NYC.


You surely can't be saying that you were in every personal meeting OCS had with a student. I personally know three people around median who wanted to bid chicago/socal/etc. and were told by OCS that if they wanted a job they should bid NYC instead. Sure, this may help those students but they may have had a shot at getting a job in a market they actual want to work in and this also harms the students in that grade range who genuinely want to be in NYC. But, like I said, more interviews doesn't necessarily mean that one is more likely to get a job although I'm sure you would be frustrated if you only got 10 interviews and you can't deny that OCS played a role in this.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.