Mich OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:27 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
Bronte wrote:
existenz wrote:It's not so much that I don't want to waste time researching firms I won't be interviewing with. It's that I would like to set up interviews with firms who I don't get slotted with, especially here in my home market.

Three weeks is ridic.


I think they'll come out pretty soon. Anybody know from last year?


I asked in the discuss you law school thread, and a 3L said we find out what firms we got the same time we get our schedule.


Hmm? Which schedule?

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Bronte wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
Bronte wrote:
existenz wrote:It's not so much that I don't want to waste time researching firms I won't be interviewing with. It's that I would like to set up interviews with firms who I don't get slotted with, especially here in my home market.

Three weeks is ridic.


I think they'll come out pretty soon. Anybody know from last year?


I asked in the discuss you law school thread, and a 3L said we find out what firms we got the same time we get our schedule.


Hmm? Which schedule?


The schedule that pops up on symplicity the week before interviews.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 pm

starchinkilt wrote:The schedule that pops up on symplicity the week before interviews.


Lame. Guess I'll be writing cheat sheets on 30 firms.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:20 am

I wonder what the person with the 4.184 is doing these days...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 am

goodolgil wrote:I wonder what the person with the 4.184 is doing these days...


where did u find the curve?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 am

,

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:,


Yeeeesss?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:17 am

goodolgil wrote:I wonder what the person with the 4.184 is doing these days...


Starting his or her own for-profit law school, Cooley II?

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby tamlyric » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:44 pm

What is this about a 4.184?

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby goodolgil » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:49 pm

tamlyric wrote:What is this about a 4.184?


I was just referring to the OCI GPA report on the career services site. On a bunch of the most prestigious firms the "high GPA" is 4.184, so presumably this is the same person.

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby starchinkilt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 am

OCP need to learn how to choose the subject line in e-mails better. I got excited for a second there.

User avatar
SweetrollStealer
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:48 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby SweetrollStealer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 pm

starchinkilt wrote:OCP need to learn how to choose the subject line in e-mails better. I got excited for a second there.


I have learned never to be excited about OCP emails.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:46 pm

nhop wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:OCP need to learn how to choose the subject line in e-mails better. I got excited for a second there.


I have learned never to be excited about OCP emails.


Yeah that email did not deliver.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby existenz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:51 pm

OCP's reasons for waiting until the 17th/18th are ridiculous.

1. "We start contacting those employers to see if they can add an interview room or otherwise accommodate all the students interested in interviewing with them. We don’t eliminate all oversubscribed schedules, of course, but every additional interview makes our efforts worthwhile."

So, they can't tell us which interviews we landed because other interview slots might become available? This is silly. All they have to do is give us our schedules, create "waiting lists" for firms that are oversubscribed, and then send us emails adding those interviews if the firm decides to add more slots. Other schools do it this way. In addition, if they released schedules earlier they could allow us to select open slots with firms that were undersubscribed.

2. "In addition, the Symplicity scheduler does an excellent job, but no scheduler is perfect and so we must check each and every interview schedule to make sure that it has slotted students correctly."

This would require, what, a day?

3. "Finally, several students, particularly rising 3Ls, start canceling their interviews at the beginning of August, as they receive offers from their 2L summer employer. These cancellations create further interview slots which we add to your interview schedules."

Once again, simple waiting lists would solve this problem.

The downsides to such a late schedule release (less time to prepare for interviews, less time to mass mail) far outweigh any benefits accrued by keeping it all secret until 5 days before interviews begin. We should all write to OCP asking them to rethink their strategy.

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:55 pm

existenz wrote:OCP's reasons for waiting until the 17th/18th are ridiculous.

1. "We start contacting those employers to see if they can add an interview room or otherwise accommodate all the students interested in interviewing with them. We don’t eliminate all oversubscribed schedules, of course, but every additional interview makes our efforts worthwhile."

So, they can't tell us which interviews we landed because other interview slots might become available? This is silly. All they have to do is give us our schedules, create "waiting lists" for firms that are oversubscribed, and then send us emails adding those interviews if the firm decides to add more slots. Other schools do it this way. In addition, if they released schedules earlier they could allow us to select open slots with firms that were undersubscribed.

2. "In addition, the Symplicity scheduler does an excellent job, but no scheduler is perfect and so we must check each and every interview schedule to make sure that it has slotted students correctly."

This would require, what, a day?

3. "Finally, several students, particularly rising 3Ls, start canceling their interviews at the beginning of August, as they receive offers from their 2L summer employer. These cancellations create further interview slots which we add to your interview schedules."

Once again, simple waiting lists would solve this problem.

The downsides to such a late schedule release (less time to prepare for interviews, less time to mass mail) far outweigh any benefits accrued by keeping it all secret until 5 days before interviews begin. We should all write to OCP asking them to rethink their strategy.


agreed. although i think plenty of people have already wrote them, otherwise they probably wouldn't have sent that email out in the first place.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby goodolgil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah, if you check lawopen there are some protest emails there. It is pretty annoying. They could at leas just release the firms we have interviews with at this moment without releasing the times.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:05 pm

goodolgil wrote:Yeah, if you check lawopen there are some protest emails there. It is pretty annoying. They could at leas just release the firms we have interviews with at this moment without releasing the times.


Yeah it just sucks to research all these firms that we're not going to have interviews with. (Although honestly, I'm really procrastinating on that.)

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby goodolgil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Yeah, I actually haven't done any research on firms since bidding closed. I think it's easier now though since we don't really have to worry about stuff like GPA average, firm's financial position, # of SAs at a firm, etc...

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:10 pm

goodolgil wrote:Yeah, I actually haven't done any research on firms since bidding closed. I think it's easier now though since we don't really have to worry about stuff like GPA average, firm's financial position, # of SAs at a firm, etc...


I don't know, finding the "differentiating factor" for each of these firms and coming up with firm specific questions is pretty tough.

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby starchinkilt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 pm

goodolgil wrote:Yeah, if you check lawopen there are some protest emails there. It is pretty annoying. They could at leas just release the firms we have interviews with at this moment without releasing the times.


What's law open? I'm a transfer student, so I'm still figuring things out

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby keg411 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:21 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Yeah, if you check lawopen there are some protest emails there. It is pretty annoying. They could at leas just release the firms we have interviews with at this moment without releasing the times.


What's law open? I'm a transfer student, so I'm still figuring things out


Don't feel bad, I was just going to ask that :lol:.

User avatar
JetstoRJC
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby JetstoRJC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:25 pm

keg411 wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Yeah, if you check lawopen there are some protest emails there. It is pretty annoying. They could at leas just release the firms we have interviews with at this moment without releasing the times.


What's law open? I'm a transfer student, so I'm still figuring things out


Don't feel bad, I was just going to ask that :lol:.


Law school's e-mail listserv. Transfer students will probably be added to it when the semester begins.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby goodolgil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:34 pm

You guys will know you're on it when you get 10,000 emails of people trying to sell their mini-fridge or offering their first born for a Notre Dame ticket

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:50 pm

goodolgil wrote:You guys will know you're on it when you get 10,000 emails of people trying to sell their mini-fridge or offering their first born for a Notre Dame ticket


Lol yeah I wouldn't feel to bad about not being on it.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Bronte wrote:
goodolgil wrote:You guys will know you're on it when you get 10,000 emails of people trying to sell their mini-fridge or offering their first born for a Notre Dame ticket


Lol yeah I wouldn't feel to bad about not being on it.


It's not too bad if you setup a gmail filter for it to skip your inbox. I don't digest as I missed a few good deals when I did...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.