Mich OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Calls are going out. Good luck everyone.

As are rejections by email. Damn that stings.

Yep. Ouch.

Do you guys suggest someone within top 5-10% bid more conservatively since it looks like he won't be on any journals?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. Ouch.

Do you guys suggest someone within top 5-10% bid more conservatively since it looks like he won't be on any journals?

With those grades, I don't think I would change my bidding strategy significantly or at all. But someone who's gone through OCI may have a different view.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. Ouch.

With those grades, I don't think I would change my bidding strategy significantly or at all. But someone who's gone through OCI may have a different view.

I wasn't top 10%, but my friend with good grades landed DC biglaw with no journals. Journals don't really make that much of a difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. Ouch.

OP here. Going back to the GPA discussion, not being on any journals makes me think I should put the GPA on the resume. Agree/disagree? Without that, I don't have much of anything impressive to list under the school on the resume.

I realize that thinking about it like that is a bit neurotic, heh...

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Going back to the GPA discussion, not being on any journals makes me think I should put the GPA on the resume. Agree/disagree? Without that, I don't have much of anything impressive to list under the school on the resume.

Huh? Firms get your transcript at OCI interviews anyway. I wouldn't put your GPA on there for OCI.

If we're talking about mass mailing, career services doesn't think we should put our GPAs on there, but I might, even if you're sending an unofficial transcript anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:32 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Going back to the GPA discussion, not being on any journals makes me think I should put the GPA on the resume. Agree/disagree? Without that, I don't have much of anything impressive to list under the school on the resume.

Huh? Firms get your transcript at OCI interviews anyway. I wouldn't put your GPA on there for OCI.

If we're talking about mass mailing, career services doesn't think we should put our GPAs on there, but I might, even if you're sending an unofficial transcript anyway.

I was going to do the same thing if I didn't get on LR. I think it's a fine idea, but I don't think it will matter much either way. I'm sure you saw the discussion above about GPA on the resume.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:

I was going to do the same thing if I didn't get on LR. I think it's a fine idea, but I don't think it will matter much either way. I'm sure you saw the discussion above about GPA on the resume.

No, I haven't. I'm a rising 3L who has already gone through OCI so I don't keep track of the thread.

I think it's tacky putting your GPA on there for OCI purposes. Firms get a transcript and resume, and some request a writing sample at your initial interviews. They are already going to have your grades, and some firms, even when told not to, will look at your transcript during the interview in front of you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:44 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:

No, I haven't. I'm a rising 3L who has already gone through OCI so I don't keep track of the thread.

I think it's tacky putting your GPA on there for OCI purposes. Firms get a transcript and resume, and some request a writing sample at your initial interviews. They are already going to have your grades, and some firms, even when told not to, will look at your transcript during the interview in front of you.

Sorry, didn't mean to quote you there. The above discussion (maybe it was in another thread, too lazy to check) was about half and half split between your view and the opposite view, and a number of the posters were also upperclassmen IIRC. I'm not putting my GPA on my resume, but I do have LR. Given that at most other schools, as a far as I know, students do put their GPA on their resumes, I really don't think it's going to have an appreciable effect on the interviewers' perception, but given that they'll figure your GPA out shortly anyway, might be better to err on the side of caution.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Any advice for someone with a 3.43 and no journal? I plan to go NYC exclusively with an interest in transactional or bankruptcy work.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for someone with a 3.43 and no journal? I plan to go NYC exclusively with an interest in transactional or bankruptcy work.

That's a good strategy then. 3.4 gives you a solid chance at OCI. Bid reasonably, but not over conservatively. I would make sure you have at least five 3.4 median firms in your top 10 bids and a couple below and a couple above. Also mass mail NY firms that aren't coming to OCI, and, if you have ties to a secondary market, mass mail firms there too. Again, I'm a rising 2L, so this is peer advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. Ouch.

Just out of curiosity, what GPA do you think constitutes top 5-10%?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. Ouch.

I would guess that top 5% is about 3.75 and top 10% is about 3.675. Plus or minus .05 on both. Very rough estimates from the Baum letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. Ouch.

Mine is 3.73. I'd guess closer to 10% than 5%; hard to know for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:55 am

Does anybody know if the book award winners from the Winter semester have been officially informed yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 am

Not as far as I can tell. The listserv hasn't been updated for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not as far as I can tell. The listserv hasn't been updated for sure.

Kind of silly that they haven't sent these out. There are 12 certs of merit for the 1L class from Winter Semester, and each would offer a nice boost to some individual's resume for EIW. Wouldn't require much effort either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not as far as I can tell. The listserv hasn't been updated for sure.

Kind of silly that they haven't sent these out. There are 12 certs of merit for the 1L class from Winter Semester, and each would offer a nice boost to some individual's resume for EIW. Wouldn't require much effort either.

They may send that info out (either a letter from Dean Gregory or maybe the prof congratulating the student) before they update the listserv, which may not happen until the 3 additional summer certs are decided. The only person who could really tell us for sure if they've sent notification out or not would be someone who got an A+. Even then, not an 100% guarantee they got one (though really close to a guarantee of course).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They may send that info out (either a letter from Dean Gregory or maybe the prof congratulating the student) before they update the listserv, which may not happen until the 3 additional summer certs are decided. The only person who could really tell us for sure if they've sent notification out or not would be someone who got an A+. Even then, not an 100% guarantee they got one (though really close to a guarantee of course).

I got an A+ last semester and have not received anything. It would be nice to know before resumes need to be uploaded. When did the fall winners find out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:36 am

Any advice for a 3.15 targetting NYC in terms of which firms, specifically, to bid for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for a 3.15 targetting NYC in terms of which firms, specifically, to bid for?

I'm in a similar boat. Basically I'm going to bid the 30 lowest grade median NYC firms (making a couple of exceptions: bidding some dream firms and not bidding firms with tiny Summer Associate class sizes). As for how I'm ranking them I'm taking into account class sizes, the ratio of corp to lit associates/partners, and the medians. I haven't come up with anything even resembling a bidlist yet though because I'm waiting to see how many interview spots each firm has. Friends at other T14s have said this stat appears on simplicity when bidding opens up, can anyone who has already been through Mich OCI confirm that this is the case?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I got an A+ last semester and have not received anything. It would be nice to know before resumes need to be uploaded. When did the fall winners find out?

Huh, then chances are they haven't sent anything out. Don't know when fall people found out, but it's Gregory's office that sent the letters. So that would be the place to email if you want to know when they're being sent out. It would be a shame for winners to miss the chance to put that on their resumes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Huh, then chances are they haven't sent anything out. Don't know when fall people found out, but it's Gregory's office that sent the letters. So that would be the place to email if you want to know when they're being sent out. It would be a shame for winners to miss the chance to put that on their resumes.

So I just called the office, and while this information will not be released until October, Mark looked it up on his list. I actually did not get it even with my A+ lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Huh, then chances are they haven't sent anything out. Don't know when fall people found out, but it's Gregory's office that sent the letters. So that would be the place to email if you want to know when they're being sent out. It would be a shame for winners to miss the chance to put that on their resumes.

So I just called the office, and while this information will not be released until October, Mark looked it up on his list. I actually did not get it even with my A+ lol.

I'm surprised the Professors haven't yet informed the award winners. I got one last semester and received an email from the Professor pretty soon after the grading deadline, though the official letter came much later. How keen was Mark in sharing that information?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Haha, well congratulations still.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Any opinions on whether it matters whether one opts for the JLR vs. MTTLR if one wants to do corporate transactional work in CA (working with tech companies, start ups, etc)? I have heard that JLR is the second best journal at Mich, but it seems MTTLR would be more relevant to my interests. Than again, there are many that say no journal will make much of a difference and that grades will mostly dictate OCI performance. Thoughts?

Return to “Legal Employment”