Mich OCI 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have the #'s we're supposed to call to schedule callbacks at debevoise NY and hogan lovells DC? i feel majorly dumb, but i wrote them down on a piece of paper i lost. obviously i don't want to be the jerk on law open asking for that info, and don't want to tell the attorneys i lost it if possible. not sure of a better solution (but i'm open to suggestions).
Did anyone get a Debevoise CB from JB?
Yeah

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:11 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Don't apologize. There is no reason for any of us to have animosity toward each other. Tensions are high and it's easy to snap and look for blame but no one is at fault here.
News flash, we're on a curve. I think animosity is appropriate.
It's unfortunate that you feel that way.

As a transfer I would like to wish you the best of luck and I really hope your position on us changes once you inevitably find a job.
Like I said before, I think people are frustrated and upset so as a transfers I can see why that poster lashed out. I'm certianly, but I'm blaming myself for not interviewing well and not my transfer/native classmates who have been nothing but awesome so far and deserve the CB's they are getting. I also plan to be bothering OCP daily until they hate me more than my interviewers apparently did :lol:.
haha ditto.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Don't apologize. There is no reason for any of us to have animosity toward each other. Tensions are high and it's easy to snap and look for blame but no one is at fault here.
I'm not at Michigan, but a couple observations:

(1) The people who complain about or are openly hostile toward transfers are the type of people who probably wouldn't have terrific career prospects, transfers or no. Maybe you should complain about your other classmates doing better on exams than you and inevitably "turkin all yur jerbs."

(2) While there are a sea of lawyers out there, karma is a real danger and can be a bitch. Don't start off your professional career by treating some of your classmates like second-class citizens. Especially when talking about the elite schools and firms, you might be running across some of the same faces for decades. Your behavior will be remembered by many.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(1) The people who complain about or are openly hostile toward transfers are the type of people who probably wouldn't have terrific career prospects, transfers or no. Maybe you should complain about your other classmates doing better on exams than you and inevitably "turkin all yur jerbs."

(2) While there are a sea of lawyers out there, karma is a real danger and can be a bitch. Don't start off your professional career by treating some of your classmates like second-class citizens. Especially when talking about the elite schools and firms, you might be running across some of the same faces for decades. Your behavior will be remembered by many.

I have a small handful of callbacks...but I do for one feel as though the students who transfer should not be allowed to attend OCI as 2Ls at all. They should go as 3Ls, or have to contact the firms on their own to arrange interviews. If Michigan actually cared about its own students (those who paid a year's worth of tuition) getting jobs it would do a little more to protect them from having to deal with a difficult economy AND a new crop of top notch students throwing their names into the ring for a job.

But, as usual, the school gets the best of both worlds. They can bolster their revenues with a group of new students, while at the same time not taking a hit at all on their statistics for GPA and LSAT scores. The ones who take the hit are the people who were busting ass against a group of people who made it in the first time around (thus inevitably facing stiffer competition than the transfers faced). Granted, a 3.8 at XYZ school is not a 3.8 at Michigan, but I doubt employers care all that much because they can still slap "Michigan Law" on the associate bio.

In conclusion, there is absolutely no reason to direct animosity AT the transfer students themselves. They are just trying to get a job like everyone else and the ones I have met have been really cool. But the system perhaps should be slanted to give us Wolverines a leg up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a small handful of callbacks...but I do for one feel as though the students who transfer should not be allowed to attend OCI as 2Ls at all. They should go as 3Ls, or have to contact the firms on their own to arrange interviews. If Michigan actually cared about its own students (those who paid a year's worth of tuition) getting jobs it would do a little more to protect them from having to deal with a difficult economy AND a new crop of top notch students throwing their names into the ring for a job.

But, as usual, the school gets the best of both worlds. They can bolster their revenues with a group of new students, while at the same time not taking a hit at all on their statistics for GPA and LSAT scores. The ones who take the hit are the people who were busting ass against a group of people who made it in the first time around (thus inevitably facing stiffer competition than the transfers faced). Granted, a 3.8 at XYZ school is not a 3.8 at Michigan, but I doubt employers care all that much because they can still slap "Michigan Law" on the associate bio.

In conclusion, there is absolutely no reason to direct animosity AT the transfer students themselves. They are just trying to get a job like everyone else and the ones I have met have been really cool. But the system perhaps should be slanted to give us Wolverines a leg up.
95% of T14 transfers would not actually transfer if they were not allowed to participate in 2L OCI. It's part of the school's revenue stream, and in fact it is not only the school that benefits, but the existing students benefit as well - they all pay full price and defray everyone's tuition. I doubt the majority of students would be willing to pay substantially more tuition in exchange for not allowing transfers in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:01 pm

People with top grades also transfer out of Michigan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:47 pm

If you have something to say to the transfers, please contact them directly at umlstransfer@googlegroups.com. You're embarrassing my school and I do not appreciate it.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 pm

All you guys need to settle down.

And we really don't have a good way of knowing whether transfers are rocking OCI or not. All talk of "trends" at this point is just hearsay.

JRD

New

Post by JRD » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:57 pm

People need to slow their proverbial roll.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Go Blue!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:34 pm

FWIW, I think only one poster had negative comments about transfers at OCI and the rest of the comments have kind of snowballed out of control defending the transfers. Perhaps time to put the topic to rest?

On another note, I don't believe calls go out on the weekend so hopefully everybody can enjoy today and tomorrow and decompress from interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:27 am

JetstoRJC wrote:FWIW, I think only one poster had negative comments about transfers at OCI and the rest of the comments have kind of snowballed out of control defending the transfers. Perhaps time to put the topic to rest?

On another note, I don't believe calls go out on the weekend so hopefully everybody can enjoy today and tomorrow and decompress from interviews.
Not entirely true. CB from Cravath this morning.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not entirely true. CB from Cravath this morning.
Of course the Cravath folks would be working on a Saturday during a hurricane.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 am

goodolgil wrote:All you guys need to settle down.

And we really don't have a good way of knowing whether transfers are rocking OCI or not. All talk of "trends" at this point is just hearsay.
+1. I have posted multiple times ITT that I have NO CB's through OCI so far.
existenz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not entirely true. CB from Cravath this morning.
Of course the Cravath folks would be working on a Saturday during a hurricane.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 am

anybody know the names of the Chadbourne interviewers? I missed mine and was told to send out an apology e-mail. Symplicity site says it was "CR," just wanted to verify

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody know the names of the Chadbourne interviewers? I missed mine and was told to send out an apology e-mail. Symplicity site says it was "CR," just wanted to verify
I believe her name was Cristi Rodriguez, but not 100% sure. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anybody know the names of the Chadbourne interviewers? I missed mine and was told to send out an apology e-mail. Symplicity site says it was "CR," just wanted to verify
I believe her name was Cristi Rodriguez, but not 100% sure. Sorry.
Same poster. Her name is Christy Rivera. Just confirmed on their website.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Well let me give you a good way, first hand knowledge. Just of the 7 transfers I know, each has already received between 5 and 9 callbacks. Also a transfer, I have received 11.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:23 pm

keg411 wrote:Updated List (alphabetized):
Arnold & Porter
Cadwalader
Clifford Chance
DPW
Debevoise
Dechert (PH)
Jones Day (NY, CH)
Fried Frank (NY)
GDC (DC dinner)
Kasowitz
Kirkland (CH)
Kramer Levin
Latham (NY, CH, DC)
Mayer Brown (CH, NY)
McDermott
Milbank
Patterson Belknap
Paul Weiss (dinner)
Proskauer (NY)
Quinn Emanuel (dinner)
Schulte
Seward & Kissel
Shearman
STB
Skadden
S&C
Sutherland
Vinson & Elkins (DC)
Winston (CH, DC)
White & Case
Weil (dinner)
Willkie
Not sure if anyone has reported these, but Gibson DC, Sidley DC and Wilmer DC CBs last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Arnold & Porter
Cadwalader
Clifford Chance
DPW
Debevoise
Dechert (PH)
Jones Day (NY, CH)
Fried Frank (NY)
GDC (DC dinner)
Kasowitz
Kirkland (CH)
Kramer Levin
Latham (NY, CH, DC)
Mayer Brown (CH, NY)
McDermott
Milbank
Patterson Belknap
Paul Weiss (dinner)
Proskauer (NY)
Quinn Emanuel (dinner)
Schulte
Seward & Kissel
Shearman
STB
Skadden
S&C
Sutherland
Vinson & Elkins (DC)
Winston (CH, DC)
White & Case
Weil (dinner)
Willkie
Not sure if anyone has reported these, but Gibson DC, Sidley DC and Wilmer DC CBs last week.
Also Jones Day DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have a small handful of callbacks...but I do for one feel as though the students who transfer should not be allowed to attend OCI as 2Ls at all. They should go as 3Ls, or have to contact the firms on their own to arrange interviews. If Michigan actually cared about its own students (those who paid a year's worth of tuition) getting jobs it would do a little more to protect them from having to deal with a difficult economy AND a new crop of top notch students throwing their names into the ring for a job.

You probably should have just done better on your exams so that you don't have to struggle for excuses as to why you are not getting called back. Maybe you are a crappy interviewer...not sure the transfers had anything to do with your interview skills, but who knows.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also Jones Day DC.
Interviewer initials?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also Jones Day DC.
Interviewer initials?
I had two - BH & CC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Arnold & Porter
Cadwalader
Clifford Chance
DPW
Debevoise
Dechert (PH)
Jones Day (NY, CH)
Fried Frank (NY)
GDC (DC dinner)
Kasowitz
Kirkland (CH)
Kramer Levin
Latham (NY, CH, DC)
Mayer Brown (CH, NY)
McDermott
Milbank
Patterson Belknap
Paul Weiss (dinner)
Proskauer (NY)
Quinn Emanuel (dinner)
Schulte
Seward & Kissel
Shearman
STB
Skadden
S&C
Sutherland
Vinson & Elkins (DC)
Winston (CH, DC)
White & Case
Weil (dinner)
Willkie
Cravath also went out. However, although Paul Weiss did go out (callback plus dinner), Quinn Emanuel was just dinner with no callbacks yet as far as I know. I also haven't heard anything about Davis Polk going out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Well let me give you a good way, first hand knowledge. Just of the 7 transfers I know, each has already received between 5 and 9 callbacks. Also a transfer, I have received 11.
I guess the transfers I have been talking with are not among the 7 that you know. Things are not so peachy for everyone...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”