Mich OCI 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Mich OCI 2011

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:34 pm

As someone who did OCI a few years ago and turned down several of the firms in the V10 (and have no regrets) just realize that a lot of your impressions about these places will be really personal and don't shut them out. While the DPW anon's post sounds right, and I'm not disputing anything in it specifically, don't be freaked out if you get a different impression after meeting with firms. Go with your gut after doing callbacks and really getting a feel for places, don't be afraid to ask to go back for a second meeting once you have an offer if you're on the fence. For instance, one of those firms above did their callbacks on a Saturday and multiple interviewers admitted to me it was because "only the nice people were willing to come in on Saturday and interview" - that was a massive turn off since it felt like the firm was actively trying to keep prospective employees from seeing what the firm was like during a regular day. I also had a callback at another one of those ten at night and one of the associates was nearly passed out and was clearly too busy to be asked to interview people, her phone was ringing off the hook and she couldn't focus. I just felt like they weren't serious about the callbacks if that was how they were running them and I withdrew a few days after without even waiting for their decision.

The point is, there is a ton of 'common knowledge' out there about firms, but when you do your callbacks if you're getting a strong vibe from a place listen to it. As much as they are looking for associates that would be a good fit, you too should be looking for firms that would be a good fit for your personality - I had a lot of friends who ended up at firms that surprised them during the callback process, don't be afraid to go with it. You'll survive and thrive much better in an environment that fits your personality rather than feeling like you constantly have to put on a front every time you walk in the door. Of course some people will say it's unfair to judge a firm based on a callback interview where you meet just a few people, but I disagree completely. Those are the people the firm has decided are the best representatives to go out and look for new employees, that's a big deal. And if the firm is so careless as to send shitty/random people out to do interviews, that says a ton about the firm's standards, and the treatment you will get once you're employed there, as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm the anon from DPW and totally endorse the above anon post. These broad generalizations can only be starting points, and every law student will respond differently to every firm - not to mention that lawyers within firms are often islands, so the group you work with may well matter much more than the firm's reputation as a whole.

That being said, some systematic things really will be important. At Cravath you'll rotate through different practices and never specialize as an associate but at DPW you will make a choice after a year and be placed in a corporate group. At some of these firms assignments come from coordinators and at others you're really expected to beat the bushes yourself and find work in a 'free market' system where your future with the firm and/or comp may be more tied to your internal hustling. Some firms carry lockstep even into the partnership, other firms have partners that 'own' individual clients, which will trickle down to an extent when it comes to staffing of associates and interactions between different groups.

Those things might not change what the people are like, but they will impact the overall tenor of the firm.

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey guys sorry for intruding on your thread. I go to V, but am targeting Chi (that's my home market). Our CSO has barely any information on chi firms with regard to grade ranges (most of their grades ranges are mixed heavily with DC offices). If anyone could give me an idea of what kind of rank is required for Winston, Mayer, Katten, JD, Ropes, or other big chi firms i would very much appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Has anybody heard anything about journals?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything about journals?
I have heard from MTTLR and Journal of Law Reform. Not sure about the other secondary journals, as these were the only 2 journals I applied to outside of Law Reivew.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I have heard from MTTLR and Journal of Law Reform. Not sure about the other secondary journals, as these were the only 2 journals I applied to outside of Law Reivew.
I have also heard from Race & Law. Someone posted that July 6 was the day for Law Review, but so far no news?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have also heard from Race & Law. Someone posted that July 6 was the day for Law Review, but so far no news?

Where did you hear that?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where did you hear that?
Someone in the Michigan 2013 thread heard a rumor. Not sure how true it is.

For the record, MJIL has at least sent out waitlists/rejections. I have yet to hear from anyone who made it on though. Gender & Law also sent out their decisions according to a friend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Someone in the Michigan 2013 thread heard a rumor. Not sure how true it is.

For the record, MJIL has at least sent out waitlists/rejections. I have yet to hear from anyone who made it on though. Gender & Law also sent out their decisions according to a friend.[/quote]

Seems rather speculative to me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Someone in the Michigan 2013 thread heard a rumor. Not sure how true it is.

For the record, MJIL has at least sent out waitlists/rejections. I have yet to hear from anyone who made it on though. Gender & Law also sent out their decisions according to a friend.
Seems rather speculative to me[/quote]

Oh, for sure. The official time for a decision was mid July though, so I figure any time in the next two weeks would be reasonable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm

PiersonVee wrote:In case anyone is still curious, I found an old post from last year indicating that MLR calls went out on Saturday, July 11.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w#p3188852

Just thought I'd share: Two years ago it was July 11. Don't know about last year. So we may have a week or so more to wait.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:12 pm

n/m .

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where did you hear that?
I posted it with the disclaimer that it was super speculative. Have not heard anything today and have not heard that anyone has heard. Would speculate that it'll be any day now though. Calls will probably go out at night too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Journal of Environmental and Administrative Law offers are going out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 pm

How is MJEAL letting people know?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How is MJEAL letting people know?
Phone 8) Also they're doing some tomorrow, I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Any bidding advice for a newbie Michigan transfer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any bidding advice for a newbie Michigan transfer?
Every time someone posts in this thread I think LR decisions are coming out. I really need to chill.

I don't know much about transfers. I would bet you'll find better advice in the transfer forum. It obviously depends on what school you transferred from and what your grades were at that school, but how much I don't know.

Assuming you have access to the "Employer GPA Qualifications" PDF (if not, request it from OCP), I would compare your GPA to those GPAs, adjusting somewhat to factor in whatever rank school you came from. Basically, just make it a bit more conservative (assuming you came from a lower ranked school) than you would if you were a Michigan 1L, keeping in mind that a Michigan 1L would probably be a bit conservative given that the figures come from a better economy. But like I said, I don't know how conservative you'd need to be. I would tend to think not very.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:43 pm

will anyone come clean and say if law review made the calls yet. I'd rather just know than wait for the rejection.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:will anyone come clean and say if law review made the calls yet. I'd rather just know than wait for the rejection.
I don't think anything's gone out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Calls are going out. Good luck everyone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Calls are going out. Good luck everyone.
As are rejections by email. Damn that stings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm

You're not compelled to join the Journal of Law Reform if accepted off the waitlist, right? There was some very strange wording on the waitlist sheet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any bidding advice for a newbie Michigan transfer?
Every time someone posts in this thread I think LR decisions are coming out. I really need to chill.

I don't know much about transfers. I would bet you'll find better advice in the transfer forum. It obviously depends on what school you transferred from and what your grades were at that school, but how much I don't know.

Assuming you have access to the "Employer GPA Qualifications" PDF (if not, request it from OCP), I would compare your GPA to those GPAs, adjusting somewhat to factor in whatever rank school you came from. Basically, just make it a bit more conservative (assuming you came from a lower ranked school) than you would if you were a Michigan 1L, keeping in mind that a Michigan 1L would probably be a bit conservative given that the figures come from a better economy. But like I said, I don't know how conservative you'd need to be. I would tend to think not very.

Any bidding strategy advice for a transfer targeting Chicago specifically?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any bidding strategy advice for a transfer targeting Chicago specifically?
Chicago's a smaller and tougher market than NY, especially if you don't have ties. That said, given that you probably have strong grades, you likely have a good shot. There're less firms in Chicago, and so it can actually be somewhat difficult to fill up a bid list with Chicago firms that aren't too far above (or particularly below) your target range. Otherwise, my knowledge is pretty much limited to NY, but I think my advice above stands, along with its caveats.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”