OCI bidding strategy help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

OCI bidding strategy help

Postby uzpakalis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi, I have been hearing a lot talk about people screwing themselves over by having a poor OCI bidding strategy. Can someone help to explain what a good strategy would be as opposed to a poor one? What should a rising 2L be doing over the summer to increase their OCI callbacks/offers etc? Thanks!

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Moxie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Bid for NY instead of competitive markets such as Chicago and DC.

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby uzpakalis » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:16 am

I am very interested as well. I wish there was an OCI sticky explaining all this stuff!

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby uzpakalis » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am very interested as well. I wish there was an OCI sticky explaining all this stuff!


Ditto. And, where are all you guys finding the rankings and information on these Vwhatever firms?

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:00 am

Moxie wrote:Bid for NY instead of competitive markets such as Chicago and DC.


and CA.

Bid NYC over everything else. Bid some in secondary markets you have ties to, but NYC should be your primary focus.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:02 am

lol @ OP +1'ing himself twice as Anonymous

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am very interested as well. I wish there was an OCI sticky explaining all this stuff!


Compilation of OCI and job search advice threads: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120382.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am very interested as well. I wish there was an OCI sticky explaining all this stuff!


Ditto. And, where are all you guys finding the rankings and information on these Vwhatever firms?


"V" refers to the Vault 100 law firm rankings. Vault also has regional rankings, specialty rankings, and firm profiles. However, some of this information is limited to subscribers. You may be able to get a subscription through your school. Check your library's website or ask career services / library staff.

Other sources include Chambers Associate, which has better firm profiles IMO than Vault. There's also the NALP directory, which has more quantitative information about firms, and Above the Law's career section.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:05 am

Helmholtz wrote:lol @ OP +1'ing himself twice as Anonymous


Lol nice. Well hopefully my labored-over post will be helpful to someone who's not a joker.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:31 am

uzpakalis wrote:I am very interested as well. I wish there was an OCI sticky explaining all this stuff!


You wish there WERE an OCI sticky not was. Big firms won't hire people who can't even properly apply the subjunctive.

Kids these days...

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Moxie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 am

Bronte wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:lol @ OP +1'ing himself twice as Anonymous


Lol nice. Well hopefully my labored-over post will be helpful to someone who's not a joker.


I found it helpful, so thanks! :D

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:lol @ OP +1'ing himself twice as Anonymous


Awesome. Don't they have a word for that?


Oh yeah-- it's "schizophrenia."

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:17 pm

What's the best source of information about firms' planned 2L SA class size for 2012?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Bronte wrote:What's the best source of information about firms' planned 2L SA class size for 2012?

Historic NALP data. Don't expect too much change from this year.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:23 pm

Renzo wrote:
Bronte wrote:What's the best source of information about firms' planned 2L SA class size for 2012?

Historic NALP data. Don't expect too much change from this year.


Really? I've heard talk that firms are planning to step it up this year. I even read on Chambers that some top firms are planning to return to pre-crash sizes.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Bronte wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Bronte wrote:What's the best source of information about firms' planned 2L SA class size for 2012?

Historic NALP data. Don't expect too much change from this year.


Really? I've heard talk that firms are planning to step it up this year. I even read on Chambers that some top firms are planning to return to pre-crash sizes.


Look up the data for yourself, NALP keeps 3 years on their website. Everyone hopes hiring will increase and there's a good chance it will, but (a) you shouldn't be expecting major jumps and (b) to the extent they exist, they will be market-wide so historical data will still give you what is important for bidding which is the relative difference between firm class sizes.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:to the extent they exist, they will be market-wide so historical data will still give you what is important for bidding which is the relative difference between firm class sizes.


This is a semi-academic point to pick since I'm planning to bid somewhat conservatively, but wouldn't you think that in a market where most firms are hiring more summers you'd be able to put more reaches into your bidlist?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:Look up the data for yourself, NALP keeps 3 years on their website. Everyone hopes hiring will increase and there's a good chance it will, but (a) you shouldn't be expecting major jumps and (b) to the extent they exist, they will be market-wide so historical data will still give you what is important for bidding which is the relative difference between firm class sizes.


Yeah I'm with you. Thanks.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Bronte wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Bronte wrote:What's the best source of information about firms' planned 2L SA class size for 2012?

Historic NALP data. Don't expect too much change from this year.


Really? I've heard talk that firms are planning to step it up this year. I even read on Chambers that some top firms are planning to return to pre-crash sizes.



Firms are always planning to return to pre-crash sizes; that's why they are always crashing. So long as we avoid a double-dip recession (a really big "if'), there might be modest growth from last year.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: OCI bidding strategy help

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:36 pm

dailygrind wrote:
thesealocust wrote:to the extent they exist, they will be market-wide so historical data will still give you what is important for bidding which is the relative difference between firm class sizes.


This is a semi-academic point to pick since I'm planning to bid somewhat conservatively, but wouldn't you think that in a market where most firms are hiring more summers you'd be able to put more reaches into your bidlist?


Maybe. The firms with high expectations are weird - people often avoid them making interviews easier to get, and they are often huge making callbacks easier to get. Their pickiness w/r/t grades can also wind up somewhat overstated, there truly are only a few firms with routinely hard GPA floors above the 3.4 or 3.5 level. And it was actually exaggerated recently when 'top' firms had smaller reductions in class size than the less picky firms.

So I see lots of reasons to agree with you in general, but I'm not sure how you'd execute that strategy differently this year than any of the past few.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.