Top 15% at MVP shooting for SF Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MarkL234

New

Top 15% at MVP shooting for SF

Post by MarkL234 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Last edited by MarkL234 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Re: Top 15% at MVP shooting for SF

Post by seriouslyinformative » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 pm

I think you will get an offer at at least some of those firms, but you should probably not work at them for them for the sake of job security. In my opinion, the only SF offices worth working at on that list are MoFo, GDC, and Latham. To that extent, it might be wiser to target just those firms (and other healthy SF offices), and use the rest of your bids on NYC, where there are plenty more firms that are doing relatively well and are great places to start your career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:36 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote: In my opinion, the only SF offices worth working at on that list are MoFo, GDC, and Latham.
Can you say more about this? You seem to be saying Orrick, Cooley, O'Melveney, Paul Hastings, Pillsbury and Morgan Lewis are all doing poorly (or perhaps there are better options for someone in OP's position). I had heard not good things about Pillsbury, but had not heard anything specifically about the others other than the general comment that the Bay Area firms were bouncing back. If not these firms, which firms should the OP be targeting?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote: In my opinion, the only SF offices worth working at on that list are MoFo, GDC, and Latham.
Can you say more about this? You seem to be saying Orrick, Cooley, O'Melveney, Paul Hastings, Pillsbury and Morgan Lewis are all doing poorly (or perhaps there are better options for someone in OP's position). I had heard not good things about Pillsbury, but had not heard anything specifically about the others other than the general comment that the Bay Area firms were bouncing back. If not these firms, which firms should the OP be targeting?
"Seriouslyinformative" is being seriously silly (particularly as s/he just cuts firms from your list rather than offers other strong firms in the area to which you could apply).

MoFo, GDC, Latham, Fenwick, Cooley, Paul Hastings, Davis Polk SV, and a good chunk of other SF/SV firms are doing quite well. OMM's "problems" are basically nothing more than rumors, and the only firm on your list that has had more than a couple of years of downward trend is Pillsbury.

I'd also apply to some of the great smaller firms, like Farella Braun, Hanson Bridgett, Manatt Phelps and Howard Rice, plus Bingham, Jones Day, Gunderson Dettmer, Ropes, Kirkland, Simpson Thatcher, Weil, and Quinn. Those run a gamut of reaches, targets and safeties for your grades + ties to the area, and almost all of them are on solid financial footing with very strong offer rates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”