NYU 3L Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU 3L Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:38 pm

So I am a transfer student to NYU that stuck out at OCI last year, and ended up working for the goverenment (something I intensely do not want to do for the rest of my career). I did pretty well at NYU, finishing just shy of a 3.7. So I am intrested in clerking or trying to get into big law directly. I know OCI is unlikely to be much help (or Lolci as it is called for 3Ls). Any tips or thoughts on my chances? That is tips beyond the resume carpet bomb and so on.

Renzo

Re: NYU 3L Job Search

Postby Renzo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:39 am

Why'd you strike out?

Edit: forgive me, that sounds way more accusatory than I meant it. I should say, "what happened with OCI?"

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:54 am

3.7 at NYU + xfer + gummit job 2L summer puts you in the rare position of having a real shot at 3L OCI. I still contend most firms are using it to poach 2Ls from other firms to fill gaps in practice areas, but there are people every year who struck out as a 2L and get something as a 3L. If anyone has the paper credentials to make that happen, it's you. Really dig down on interview prep, your 'story' (you'll get asked all about why you did gummit work as a 2L I'm sure), and start researching any firms that will likely come to learn not only about them but about who they are likely to hire. It's possible that Firm X will need to pick up a tax associate or two due to an unenthusiastic response to the tax dept from their summer class - in that case, it would be a great time to develop a sudden interest in the internal revenue code, neh?

Likewise, massmail. Like, mass fucking mail. 3.7 at NYU is epic, and if you blast every big firm in NYC + every kinda big firm in NYC I bet somebody out there is seeing attrition pick up to uncomfortable levels and needs more bodies for fall 2012.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 am

Just echoing sealocust's post above:

A 3.7 from NYU will put you in the range for pretty much any firm interviewing 3Ls this year. Just focus on your interviewing skills this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

OP here. Thanks for the encouraging responses. To Answer Renzo's question, I made sort of a perfect storm of errors, everything from a minor resume error OCS missed (but I do not think all the firms did) to poor general interview prep, to mass mailing to late, etc. Needless to say I plan on doing everything humanly possible to prevent the reoccurrence of any such mistakes.

As far as interviewing goes, since it both my weakest area (and the only think I can really change at this point) what do you guys recommend? I am not really socially awkward or anything, I am just not that good at “selling” myself, are there any books or helpful threads that you folks in the TLS universe have used or heard good things about- in terms of interviewing tips.

Thanks again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:46 am

My story is pretty similar to OP's, except replace 3.7 from NYU with a 3.55 from Columbia (should be somewhere right around the top 25%) and summer government work with summer state supreme court clerkship. I was a transfer too and attribute striking out at 2L OCI mainly to focussing my bidding on firms in my home town (not NYC, but still one of the 4 or 5 biggest legal markets in the country (think DC, Chi, LA, or SF)). Got 3 callbacks (1 V20, 1 V50, and 1 V100), but nothing ended up pulling through. Out of the firms that I had callbacks with, 1 hired 2 SAs, 1 hired 3, and 1 hired 4. This time, I plan on focussing mainly on NYC since there are just more jobs to go around there...

I heard that a decent number of 3Ls at Columbia last year pulled off BigLaw after striking out as 2Ls, and I would assume that the same is true for NYU. Does anyone know what kinds of grades those people had at either school? I.e. were they all Kent Scholars as 2Ls (or the NYU equivalent)? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:58 am

One thing to note is that the relatively high number of openings for 3Ls was mainly due to many of those firms underhiring for their incoming class of 2011. That phenomenon is not present in quite the same way this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 am

seriouslyinformative wrote:One thing to note is that the relatively high number of openings for 3Ls was mainly due to many of those firms underhiring for their incoming class of 2011. That phenomenon is not present in quite the same way this year.

Hmm, true. However, I think I remember hearing that more firms were coming to interview 3Ls this year (though that might be more OCS propaganda). There are 42 offices coming to CLS for 3L EIP this year, though like 10 of those are different offices of Latham. I would guess that after subtracting duplicates, there are about 20 firms coming for 3Ls. Anyone know how many there were last year?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:My story is pretty similar to OP's, except replace 3.7 from NYU with a 3.55 from Columbia (should be somewhere right around the top 25%) and summer government work with summer state supreme court clerkship. I was a transfer too and attribute striking out at 2L OCI mainly to focussing my bidding on firms in my home town (not NYC, but still one of the 4 or 5 biggest legal markets in the country (think DC, Chi, LA, or SF)). Got 3 callbacks (1 V20, 1 V50, and 1 V100), but nothing ended up pulling through. Out of the firms that I had callbacks with, 1 hired 2 SAs, 1 hired 3, and 1 hired 4. This time, I plan on focussing mainly on NYC since there are just more jobs to go around there...

I heard that a decent number of 3Ls at Columbia last year pulled off BigLaw after striking out as 2Ls, and I would assume that the same is true for NYU. Does anyone know what kinds of grades those people had at either school? I.e. were they all Kent Scholars as 2Ls (or the NYU equivalent)? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I know of a few people who got biglaw as rising 3Ls. One was Kent, the others idk their grades, but probably not Kent. They just bid on the right firms that happened to be serious about hiring people. None of them did anything really eye-catching their 2L summer. I also met people with biglaw interviews as late as April.

Anonymous User wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:One thing to note is that the relatively high number of openings for 3Ls was mainly due to many of those firms underhiring for their incoming class of 2011. That phenomenon is not present in quite the same way this year.

Hmm, true. However, I think I remember hearing that more firms were coming to interview 3Ls this year (though that might be more OCS propaganda). There are 42 offices coming to CLS for 3L EIP this year, though like 10 of those are different offices of Latham. I would guess that after subtracting duplicates, there are about 20 firms coming for 3Ls. Anyone know how many there were last year?

They really need to release the stats on last year's 3L OCI, usually it's appended to the 2L spreadsheet. But I can't think those multiple satellite offices are all serious about hiring people. And a few of those midlaw firms didn't call back a single person during 2L OCI last year. The competition is going to be fierce for the few big NYC firms and will include a lot of prestige whoring rising 3Ls, most likely. I'm pinning my hopes on mass mailing (rising 3L, significantly higher grades this year, working in government).

EDIT: When you look at the list and remove a) all satellite offices, b) midlaw firms, c) super-prestigious firms like Boies, Susman, W+C, you're left with only 5 or 6 firms. Depressing and confusing.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:32 am

ut I can't think those multiple satellite offices are all serious about hiring people.

This is right. Ideally, you should find out which firms are serious about hiring 3Ls and bid/interview exclusively with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:58 am

Anyone have advice for figuring out which firms are serious about recruiting 3Ls? I'm assuming that you can't just call them up and ask. For firms that I have friends working at, I plan on asking them, but what about firms that I don't know anyone at?

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have advice for figuring out which firms are serious about recruiting 3Ls? I'm assuming that you can't just call them up and ask. For firms that I have friends working at, I plan on asking them, but what about firms that I don't know anyone at?

Friends of friends, and friends of friends of friends. Work that network.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm

timbs4339 wrote: EDIT: When you look at the list and remove a) all satellite offices, b) midlaw firms, c) super-prestigious firms like Boies, Susman, W+C, you're left with only 5 or 6 firms. Depressing and confusing.

Hmm, I just went back through the list, and after taking out duplicates, midlaw firms, uber-prestigious firms like Susman, and the one government posting, I got 12 BigLaw firms coming to interview 3Ls. Kind of depressing, but still a bit better than I was expecting before seeing the list. I think you're right though. A job is probably more likely to come out of mass-mailing than 3L EIP.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm almost positive certain firms will be accepting 3L resumes, even though they're not interviewing 3Ls at EIW/EIP/OCI/OCIP/OGI. I can't mention which ones as this varies by school, but if they're accepting resumes from you're school, they'll have a job posting on symplicity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Also, anyone have any tips for hitting up hospitality suites as a 3L? A legal writing professor of mine once told me that the best thing that you can do is take what would otherwise be perceived as a weakness and turn it into a strength. Thus, how should I spin off "well, the good news is that I'm actually a 3L" when asked if I have a 2L screening interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Clerk. You have the numbers and that is your best pipeline to top jobs at this point.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
timbs4339 wrote: EDIT: When you look at the list and remove a) all satellite offices, b) midlaw firms, c) super-prestigious firms like Boies, Susman, W+C, you're left with only 5 or 6 firms. Depressing and confusing.

Hmm, I just went back through the list, and after taking out duplicates, midlaw firms, uber-prestigious firms like Susman, and the one government posting, I got 12 BigLaw firms coming to interview 3Ls. Kind of depressing, but still a bit better than I was expecting before seeing the list. I think you're right though. A job is probably more likely to come out of mass-mailing than 3L EIP.

I left out satellite offices of big NYC firms. If it doesn't say New York, NY under the name I'm not counting it as seriously hiring.

Return to “Legal Employment”