Realism out of GW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Realism out of GW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:55 am

3.05, ADR and Mock Trial, judicial internship this summer in an intermediate state trial court (which should yield a stellar recommendation), journal admissions pending (though not likely after those grades I'd think, I did prioritize the secondary journals though), college athletics both semesters. Interned for a Congressman in UG (not sure if this is still relevant).

BigLaw is the goal; NYC, SF, Boston or DC are the targets. I've reserved some of my bids for government and public interest options. I'm also staging a large direct-write campaign.

Strong interest in litigation and appellate practice, as well as antitrust, international and environmental (the good guys side).

I also know some low level associates at a few firms that mentioned that might at least talk to a partner about getting me out of the scrap heap of resumes. Is this at all helpful?

What are the BigLaw firms I should even consider applying to? And no, unfortunately I don't have a UG science degree, but that's ok because I wouldn't want to do IP anyway.

I do interview well, it's just getting to the interviews that I'm worried about presently.

in my eyes

Re: Realism out of GW

Postby in my eyes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:19 am

No idea where a 3.05 falls on your curve but it has to be outside the top 25-30%. No chance at Biglaw ITE.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:29 am

I'm a 0L, but I heard that the median was something like 3.3, and that 3.0 is somewhere around the 30th percentile. Again, only a 0L, but from what I know of GW placement stats, I don't imagine you'd get BigLaw unless you had a serious connection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 am

GW 3l here. not sure where exactly you will fall in the class, it all depends on grade distribution, but its unlikely you will get a designation. Without IP OCI might be a struggle. My suggestion define what you think your ideal practice area is going to be and then reach out to as many alumni who are working in that area as possible. Try to set-up informational meetings with as many as possible and develop ties. Then direct write these firms and be sure to follow-up with that alumni when you do. The alumni are terrific and this might be your best best.

I know that the research and writing is a bitch and takes forever, but it is worth the chance of a 160k job. Plus you have nothing to loose.

Apply broadly, apply early, and apply often.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 am

I am in a similar position at a little lower ranked firm. I think your best bet it to focus your efforts on secondary firms. Biglaw is essentially out. but there are good midmarket firms that will always be small-to-mid sized. For example, I am going to apply to FL Medical Malpractice firms. These are not BigLaw, but they will need lawyers. While they may not pay like biglaw, you will get good experience and there is the potential for high long term income.

basically
Anonymous User wrote:Apply broadly, apply early, and apply often.

OldManHunger

Postby OldManHunger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:04 pm

OldManHunger wrote:I'm intrigued by the suggestion to target medical malpractice firms, but, really, with two semesters of college athletics played during law school, I think he can at least land a job at an insurance defense outfit.

sure. but that misses the point. I think there are a lot of non-biglaw opportunities out there, it just comes down to figuring out what those are and targeting them. if you are blindly shooting off your resume, disappointment will probably fail. it is all about mass-customization of your applications.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:11 pm

OldManHunger wrote:I'm intrigued by the suggestion to target medical malpractice firms, but, really, with two semesters of college athletics played during law school, I think he can at least land a job at an insurance defense outfit.

Actually, WTF does OP mean by college athletics both semesters? If he's talking about club anything LOL. If he's talking about NCAA athletics, i'm wondering how he did that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Actually, WTF does OP mean by college athletics both semesters? If he's talking about club anything LOL. If he's talking about NCAA athletics, i'm wondering how he did that.

OP here. Not a club sport. Though your phraseology "if he's talking about NCAA athletics, I'm wondering how he did that" seems to imply that I succeeded in doing both. Did you see my GPA? Clearly I didn't "do that" all that well :(

CuriousClerk

Postby CuriousClerk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Actually, WTF does OP mean by college athletics both semesters? If he's talking about club anything LOL. If he's talking about NCAA athletics, i'm wondering how he did that.

You can do NCAA athletics in grad school if you didn't burn your eligibility in undergrad and meet certain criteria.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:43 pm

CuriousClerk wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

You can do NCAA athletics in grad school if you didn't burn your eligibility in undergrad and meet certain criteria.

I certainly realize that as I was an NCAA athlete. But it seems that OP plays 2 sports and it certainly seems like that would be tough in law school, which was more of what I was alluding to.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I certainly realize that as I was an NCAA athlete. But it seems that OP plays 2 sports and it certainly seems like that would be tough in law school, which was more of what I was alluding to.

some ncaa sports span 2 semesters (swimming for example), regardless i seriously doubt anyone is going to give OP a bump for athletics.. especially when they probably should have been studying instead :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:56 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I certainly realize that as I was an NCAA athlete. But it seems that OP plays 2 sports and it certainly seems like that would be tough in law school, which was more of what I was alluding to.

some ncaa sports span 2 semesters (swimming for example), regardless i seriously doubt anyone is going to give OP a bump for athletics.. especially when they probably should have been studying instead :)

OP again. Hindsight is 50/50 I suppose. Considered opting out of athletics second semester - probably would have been good for my legal career - but then I'd have been screwing over my teammates.

Trying to make the best of a bad situation now.

Return to “Legal Employment”