Law School in Florida

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ladylaw06

Law School in Florida

Postby ladylaw06 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 pm

I have a question. If I go to law school in Florida and take the bar exam for FL, can I practice law in Texas too?

How hard would it be to take the Texas bar exam after going to school in FL?

seatown12

Re: Law School in Florida

Postby seatown12 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 am

It's not the TX bar that will be hard but rather getting a TX job. If you aren't going to a national school (none of which are in FL) you should go to a school in the area you want to end up working with as big a scholarship as possible.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:15 am

Texas does not have a reciprocal agreement with any other jurisdiction. Out-of-state attorneys with at least five years of recent practice may pursue "Admission without Examination" under Rule XIII. Interested individuals should review the Board's Attorney Admission page for U.S. licensed attorneys for more information.

Texas attorneys who seek admission to another jurisdiction will have to contact the licensing agency for that jurisdiction. The National Conference of Bar Examiners provides contact information for all U.S. jurisdictions at --LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Also: --LinkRemoved--

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:30 am

I can almost positively say that you will not find a job in Texas coming from a school in Florida.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:26 am

With a 148 / 3.86, I recommend retaking due to bad job prospects of schools you can get into with those numbers.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:43 am

with those number your only possible FL options would be Coastal, Nova, Barry, or Ava Maria. You will not find meaningful employment from any of these school. And you certainly won't find meaningful employment in Texas. Retake or don't go.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:52 am

gwuorbust wrote:with those number your only possible FL options would be Coastal, Nova, Barry, or Ava Maria. You will not find meaningful employment from any of these school. And you certainly won't find meaningful employment in Texas. Retake or don't go.

You forgot FIU. Get your FL shit schools straight.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I can almost positively say that you will not find a job in Texas coming from a school in Florida.

This.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 pm

There are many excellent law schools in Florida from which to school, most of which** will qualify you to sit for the Texas Bar Examination! Good luck!

**status subject to change

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Last edited by ShiftyPig on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldManHunger

Postby OldManHunger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:55 pm

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:50 pm

OP if you want to work in texas- go to either a national school ( top 14 or even top 10), or a highly esteemed school in texas. If you go to a school in florida- sure you can take the texas bar, but you need to be allright with the prospect of working in florida after graduation ( unless you have a guarenteed job in texas- which for the vast vast majority of people out there is not an option).

You can go to law school in any accredited school and be able to take whatever bar exam you want. You will need to study for that schools bar exam afterwords. The bigger issue will be obtaining employment. You need to establish ties to the area you want to practice in and start building and maintaining your professional network. This is commonly done by going to school in the region you want to practice in ( or spending a lot of time in the region before law school).

Return to “Legal Employment”