3.21 at Cornell, NYC bidding strategy?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3.21 at Cornell, NYC bidding strategy?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:Median at Cornell is at least a 3.45. Probably more like a 3.5. Sounds like you are well below median. Adjust your expectations.

OP Hijacker here: I realize cornell's actual median is gonna be higher, but from what i hear the the firms only see the stated 3.35? Talked to CSO last semester, when I had even lower, and they said I was in the "top half of the bottom half". In any case, when you say "adjust your expectations," can you give an idea/picture of what those expectations look like?

Also, am not working internationally this summer. Doing an RA + internship at the school's regulation clinic. My international experience = 1 summer in China at a Chinese IP law firm. Mostly did copy-editing, research, and translation. Am fluent in mandarin, but these days, who isn't?

no, the firms definitely can see that the median has changed--to leave such information undisclosed would very likely constitute fraud.

from what i understand from derosa's career services meeting, they probably put it in very inconspicuous font last year. only a matter of time before employers catch on though.

i agree in that perhaps your expectations should be adjusted a bit. that's not to say that you shouldn't apply to the magic circle altogether, but like you said, there are countless numbers of chinese-speaking JD candidates in the T14, many of whom have some incredible work experience and grades. do you really want to end up working overseas?

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:05 am

It'd be nice to know how the original OP (3.21 person) did at OCI, given that this post was originally made in 2011.

CarterRoss838

Postby CarterRoss838 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:36 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:Median at Cornell is at least a 3.45. Probably more like a 3.5. Sounds like you are well below median. Adjust your expectations.

I know those doing Cornell OCI this year got high gpa/low gpa info for callbacks for firms this year (we didn't get this last year--at least not the actual #s). An annoying amount of busywork but if you're bored, I'd put all of this data into an excel doc to give yourself a better idea of what the #s looked like for callbacks. Did they give you guys the "average" or just the high/low? The average GPA for each firm would be clutch to put into a spreadsheet

I love excel and it sounds psycho to do that but I think it could be pretty revealing for bid strategizing

High, low, and average. Average for most market paying firms were around a 3.5. Some asshole fucked up the high with his 4.1. URMs took the lows obviously.
"URMs likely took the lows"would have been just as effective.

Don't necro old threads for no reason and don't abuse anon to do so.

Return to “Legal Employment”