Straight Ps at HLS. NYC Biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sd8732

Straight Ps at HLS. NYC Biglaw?

Postby sd8732 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Sorry for jumping on the "predict my EIP/OCI results" bandwagon so soon...just interested in hearing people's thoughts (even those of the trolls that are probably about to chime in)

I received straight Ps at HLS, which seems to have been pretty troublesome for people in the past. Yet I also hear scattered stories of people who did just fine with those grades. My ECs include leadership on a secondary journal, and I'm currently doing a 1L SA at a V100 in my home market (not a major market).

I've realized that NYC is likely my only option if I don't want to come back to the home city. Where should I be aiming? I appreciate the help.

MrKappus

Re: Straight Ps at HLS. NYC Biglaw?

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 pm

You should be good for Lowell and Bridgeport biglaw. NYC might be a stretch, but I'd still put some bids in.

hls_2013

Postby hls_2013 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:52 am

More thoughts on this?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 am

Bid NY heavily and you should have a decent shot at something. But do good work at your 1L SA, and try and get an offer (to come back next summer or permanent) so you at least have something in hand before EIP.

My sense is that people who struck out in the past with straight Ps bid on DC/other secondary markets that are more competitive than NY, but being at that low of a percentile can't look too good to firms either.

I'd aim for big classes at the lower end of the V100 rankings (V50-100), and mass mail firms in your hometown market if you dont mind working there.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 am

Moxie wrote:Bid NY heavily and you should have a decent shot at something. But do good work at your 1L SA, and try and get an offer (to come back next summer or permanent) so you at least have something in hand before EIP.

My sense is that people who struck out in the past with straight Ps bid on DC/other secondary markets that are more competitive than NY, but being at that low of a percentile can't look too good to firms either.

I'd aim for big classes at the lower end of the V100 rankings (V50-100), and mass mail firms in your hometown market if you dont mind working there.

The lower V100 doesn't hire anyone. Aim for the lower V50 with big class sizes.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:32 am

Ray is right. For the most part, the lower V100 consists of non-NYC firms with satellite offices in NYC. Those offices tend to have 5-10 summers every year if you're lucky. Lower ranked firms indigenous to NYC tend to have larger class sizes. These are places along the lines of Dewey, Kaye Scholer, Cadwalader, Hughes Hubbard, etc.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 am

seriouslyinformative wrote:Ray is right. For the most part, the lower V100 consists of non-NYC firms with satellite offices in NYC. Those offices tend to have 5-10 summers every year if you're lucky. Lower ranked firms indigenous to NYC tend to have larger class sizes. These are places along the lines of Dewey, Kaye Scholer, Cadwalader, Hughes Hubbard, etc.

Good call, but I was thinking of firms in the lower end of V100 like Schulte Roth, Cahill Gordon, Chadbourne, Hughes Hubbard, Dechert, etc. Maybe they're not hiring the huge 100 person classes that Skadden/Cravath/V10 will, but some of these firms have 20-40 summers a year so it's a decent sized class.

But the firms seriouslyinformative listed are also good examples of less popular NY firms with good sized summer classes.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Moxie wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:Ray is right. For the most part, the lower V100 consists of non-NYC firms with satellite offices in NYC. Those offices tend to have 5-10 summers every year if you're lucky. Lower ranked firms indigenous to NYC tend to have larger class sizes. These are places along the lines of Dewey, Kaye Scholer, Cadwalader, Hughes Hubbard, etc.

Good call, but I was thinking of firms in the lower end of V100 like Schulte Roth, Cahill Gordon, Chadbourne, Hughes Hubbard, Dechert, etc. Maybe they're not hiring the huge 100 person classes that Skadden/Cravath/V10 will, but some of these firms have 20-40 summers a year so it's a decent sized class.

But the firms seriouslyinformative listed are also good examples of less popular NY firms with good sized summer classes.

Cahill and Dechert are like 50s and 60s but point taken.

Return to “Legal Employment”