0Ls Procuring LORs for 1L Summer Employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

0Ls Procuring LORs for 1L Summer Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:13 pm

TL;DR
- 0L clerk at biglaw firm
- good relationships with attorneys (some are alums of my T10)
- relatively open re 1L summer work; however, prefer IP-related (non-science background)

Questions:
1) which attorney to get the LOR from?
2) when should I ask?
3) to whom do I send it? Which employers value LORs like this?

Background: I've been working at a biglaw firm (500+ attorneys, but not V100) over the past year doing clerical work and some slightly more substantive side projects. I've developed fairly good relationships with about five associates, (some are alumni; taken me to lunch, daily conversation, advice re law school in the fall) and even the managing partner of the office has taken a keen interest in my cycle and bought me a shirt from my law school. In short, the year has proven valuable for networking.

Question 1: I want to procure a LOR from one of these attorneys, but I'm unsure which of them I should ask. The one I'm closest to? The ones who assigned me the more substantive work (deposition summaries, research, etc.) The managing partner? The alums of the law school I'll be attending? Or would it best to just get one from the office manager (my direct supervisor)?

Question 2: Furthermore, there's the timetable: when should I ask? Would asking for a LOR from this firm be a violation of the pre-Dec. 1st NALP rule? Also, I wouldn't mind working for the firm again as an SA/intern during 1L, so that would factor into the equation ...

Question 3: To which employers would it even be a good idea to send these? I imagine judges wouldn't care, but maybe it couldn't hurt?

Thanks in advance! I apologize if this is abuse of anon feature.

Gideon Strumpet

Re: 0Ls Procuring LORs for 1L Summer Employment

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:18 am

The general rule for any LOR is ask the person who knows you best. That said, you won't need LORs to get a 1L job. It's all about grades or, fortunately for you, prior connections. It's never a bad idea to get a general LOR upon leaving, while you are still fresh in the recommender's mind. Most attorneys I have worked with are happy to write a general letter and just give it to you to use when needed. I don't think any of the places I applied to for 1L asked for LORs though, so you likely won't need it.

If you have a chance to work at this firm as a 1L SA, then I would do everything you can to preserve and enhance that opportunity. In addition to giving yourself a chance for a paid job during 1L summer, which is a huge bonus, you will also be setting yourself up for a 2L SA and a job after graduation; a priceless advantage with the market as it is.

The December 1 "rule" is just a guideline that NALP publishes. Nothing will happen to you if you "break" it; and contact with a current or prior employer, including asking for an LOR from a firm you're working at now, does not implicate the NALP guidelines anyway. Large firms and some of the larger government and nonprofit employers will honor the NALP timeline and not respond to inquiries from 1Ls prior to December 1. Most smaller firms and many government and nonprofit employers have never heard of the guidelines and will do their hiring on whatever schedule they have fixed for their own purposes.

If you want to apply for 1L jobs with specific employers, just check their websites now to see what their deadlines are, and if they delay 1L hiring until after December 1. Some do, some don't. You can assume big firms will (mainly because it's a good excuse to ignore 1Ls). With anything else, just be sure you check first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 pm

You won't need a LOR for any 1L job.

/thread.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You won't need a LOR for any 1L job.

/thread.

False. I needed one.

Just get one from the person you think will write you the most glowing LOR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:03 pm

That's odd. I have never heard of anyone needing a LOR for their 1L job.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's odd. I have never heard of anyone needing a LOR for their 1L job.

Some 1L fellowships and paid government work require LORs. But, you are right that normally you don't need a LOR for 1L summer. A list of references will normally suffice.

Return to “Legal Employment”