(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Hello all,

I am in a serious dilemma. I currently attend a T2 school and grades didn't turn out so hot. The grades actually dropped from 1st semester into a 3.0 That's basically the bottom third of my class. The thing is, I felt I worked twice as hard that semester than my 1st semester.

I initially hoped on doing well and hitting biglaw but now that's out the window. I know I could try to work three times as hard 2L year, do a crappy 2L internship (because SAing is impossible) and hope I pass the bar and hope to get hired.

But I'm not so sure right now with interest stacking on top of each other. Thankfully I haven't loaned any money for 2L year yet. I'd like to stay anonymous.

Should I keep attending or think of something else?

Thank you. I'd appreciate any input.

Re: Dilemma

Postby JD2014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm

If you're considering dropping out, a lot will depend on how much debt you would graduate with if you finished, what your debt servicing abilities are (e.g. can your family help, either with payments or by providing you with rent-free housing), what market you would practice in, what the opportunities there would be like, what you would do instead of law if you dropped out, and probably a lot of other factors I can't think of right now.

FWIW, I know people that went to T2 schools, didn't do well, got pretty low-paying jobs after school, but they actually like the work that they do, and since they live with their parents and don't pay rent, they're getting their loans down to a manageable number pretty quickly.

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:33 pm

if you are willing to do public interest work for 10 years, your debt won't matter much. and before people coming in hear screaming "public interest is as hard to get!!!" I want you to consider the different kinds of public interest that are available. would you be working for the UN? probably not. Could you work in a legal aid clinic in rural america? possibly. while that may not be what you dreamed of when you signed up, it will get you real experience and you will be able to help people. and after 10 years of working as a successful practitioner..you could probably laterally to many different places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:42 am

Approx 120k in loans + interests accrued. Parents unlikely to assist in paying off loans. They are getting divorced right now.

Return to “Legal Employment”