3.1 from MVP ---> Biglaw Chances Gone?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.1 from MVP ---> Biglaw Chances Gone?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:03 pm

So, i came to law school and totally screwed it up. I wasn't ready to put in the time and effort and came pretty much just to get a firm job. Is this no longer possible? If it is possible, how should I go about doing this. I am already planning on hitting up firms about interviewing before OCI in NYC and other mid-atlantic and NE markets and I have met with people from firms coming to OCI to get them to know who I am...this was before I found out my grades though. I have a top 5 business undergrad and some work experience and did a lot of extra curriculars at law school. I think I am an interesting guy with good knowledge of the markets and what big law entails... Is there any hope?

jawsthegreat

Re: 3.1 from MVP ---> Biglaw Chances Gone?

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, i came to law school and totally screwed it up. I wasn't ready to put in the time and effort and came pretty much just to get a firm job. Is this no longer possible? If it is possible, how should I go about doing this. I am already planning on hitting up firms about interviewing before OCI in NYC and other mid-atlantic and NE markets and I have met with people from firms coming to OCI to get them to know who I am...this was before I found out my grades though. I have a top 5 business undergrad and some work experience and did a lot of extra curriculars at law school. I think I am an interesting guy with good knowledge of the markets and what big law entails... Is there any hope?

If this is V --> also include Richmond.

If this is M ---> Detroit.

If this is P ---> Philly/Pitt

Supplement any major market stuff with those secondary markets and others you may have ties to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:38 pm

You should be fine in some secondary markets. More than enough at detroit (though not for honigman). Make up a fake bf/gf. Or better yet, get a real one. S/he will be your green card spouse into that market.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:You should be fine in some secondary markets. More than enough at detroit (though not for honigman). Make up a fake bf/gf. Or better yet, get a real one. S/he will be your green card spouse into that market.

I tried to do this thing with the gf. I hope you're better at it than I am; I felt some firms could see right through it.

Also, your secondary market should be where you have connections, not the home market of the school. Trying to crack Pittsburgh because you go to Penn and have an imaginary yinzer girlfriend, for example, is laughable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:14 am

OP here:

my home market is NYC. I will be applying to northeast secondary markets (phili, NJ, Conn, Boston) and I have legitimate reasons for ending up in all of them, but I want NYC more than anything. Is this still possible?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 pm

I heard this place was legit with advice, does everyone on here just kill it? gotta be someone that goes to a T14 that has similar grades and has advice. Anyone?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 pm

It depends on the MVP. At UVA 3.1 is probably bottom 10% given their median is 3.3 and their standard deviation is tight. At M, 3.1 is probably just somewhat below median.

If you're in the middle 1/3, I really wouldn't give up just yet. I know a number of below median people last year who got biglaw. You have to work your other strengths (WE will help), and you have to bid well and execute interviews perfectly, but you've got a fighting chance. Especially if hiring this year is, as I expect it will be, substantially better than last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:58 pm

rayiner wrote:It depends on the MVP. At UVA 3.1 is probably bottom 10% given their median is 3.3 and their standard deviation is tight. At M, 3.1 is probably just somewhat below median.

If you're in the middle 1/3, I really wouldn't give up just yet. I know a number of below median people last year who got biglaw. You have to work your other strengths (WE will help), and you have to bid well and execute interviews perfectly, but you've got a fighting chance. Especially if hiring this year is, as I expect it will be, substantially better than last year.

Seriously man? At Uva, 3.18 is bottom 1/3- I would think 3.1 is around 25%.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:It depends on the MVP. At UVA 3.1 is probably bottom 10% given their median is 3.3 and their standard deviation is tight. At M, 3.1 is probably just somewhat below median.

Isn't 3.6 like top 5%?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 pm

3.73 is approximately top 7%. Hope that helps.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:25 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Isn't 3.6 like top 5%?

3.6 is like top 15%. Top 10% is about 3.65, top 5% is probably like 3.8.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:If this is V --> also include Richmond.

Richmond is a tough market unless you have ties. Just going to UVA is generally not enough.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 pm

RVP11 wrote:
rayiner wrote:Isn't 3.6 like top 5%?

This was subtle reverse NU grade inflation trolling. The usual joke is to say that NU has a median of like 3.9, which is funny because of how many high grades NU gives (just a wide distribution, believe median remains 3.3). Rayiner thus reverses the joke and applies it to UVA.

/lame joke explainer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Is a C+ a kiss of death on a transcript for OCI? Also hovering in the 3.1 range after an inexplicably rough second semester. The other grades I can talk around, but that one still makes me cringe every time I look at my transcript.

Is a student with one C+ treated any differently than the overall GPA (which is crappy, but not bottom of the barrel) would suggest?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
rayiner wrote:Isn't 3.6 like top 5%?

This was subtle reverse NU grade inflation trolling. The usual joke is to say that NU has a median of like 3.9, which is funny because of how many high grades NU gives (just a wide distribution, believe median remains 3.3). Rayiner thus reverses the joke and applies it to UVA.

/lame joke explainer

Median is probably closer to 3.35 for 1L. And more like 3.5 at graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:07 am

Can anyone else give me some advice on what to do? What firms I should be looking at? I understand that OCI is pretty much a crapshoot for me now, but what else should I be doing, and when should I be doing it to increase my chances. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Return to “Legal Employment”