Likely for the top 1% of Brooklyn LS to secure ANY law job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronx Bum

Bronze

Likely for the top 1% of Brooklyn LS to secure ANY law job?

Post by Bronx Bum » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:44 am

My best friend growing up is in this position. Just graduated and can't get any job that is any way related to law. His grades were awesome, and the shitty thing about it has been that he worked about 3 paid internship-type gigs throughout L.S. (all law related), so it's not like he had no connections or wasn't personable.

Anyone know what he should do at this stage to grab something? He's pretty depressed (just got off of g-chat with him).

dpk711

Silver

Re: Likely for the top 1% of Brooklyn LS to secure ANY law job?

Post by dpk711 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 am

I always knew that Brooklyn or any law school in NY not named Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, or Cardozo is pretty much a TTTT. But seeing that someone who is top 1% at Brooklyn couldn't get a law-related job is still extremely scary.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:37 am

dpk711 wrote:I always knew that Brooklyn or any law school in NY not named Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, or Cardozo is pretty much a TTTT. But seeing that someone who is top 1% at Brooklyn couldn't get a law-related job is still extremely scary.
FTFY

Also, NYU trolling?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:39 am

bhan87 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:I always knew that Brooklyn or any law school in NY not named Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, or Cardozo is pretty much a TTTT. But seeing that someone who is top 1% at Brooklyn couldn't get a law-related job is still extremely scary.
FTFY

Also, NYU trolling?
my bad, NYU as well obviously...

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:44 am

Bronx Bum wrote:My best friend growing up is in this position. Just graduated and can't get any job that is any way related to law. His grades were awesome, and the shitty thing about it has been that he worked about 3 paid internship-type gigs throughout L.S. (all law related), so it's not like he had no connections or wasn't personable.

Anyone know what he should do at this stage to grab something? He's pretty depressed (just got off of g-chat with him).
No advice, just a question here. Are you sure he was top 1%? He could have still had awesome grades and been top 10%. The difference between 1% and 10% is huge in terms of job prospects from a law school like Brooklyn.

Also, does he have any W/E prior to law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:46 am

A lot of hiring happens after bar results happen.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 am

Not buying it without more info... But it could be he is aiming pretty high because he is number 1 (i.e. too high for what is reasonable).

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:21 am

The kid obviously has a problem if he cannot find a job with those grades.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:13 am

Bronx Bum wrote:My best friend growing up is in this position. Just graduated and can't get any job that is any way related to law. His grades were awesome, and the shitty thing about it has been that he worked about 3 paid internship-type gigs throughout L.S. (all law related), so it's not like he had no connections or wasn't personable.

Did he have a SA or did he not want BigLaw? If he really had three paid jobs, I smell no-offer.
The other alternative is that he wasn't top 1% after 1L and was closer to top 10% and struck out at OCI that year.
It's also possible that he just struck out period - grades mean a LOT, but sometimes it just doesn't happen for the top people since there are so few jobs to go around at lower-ranked schools. I think it's more likely it was one of the first two scenarios I outlined, but you never know. Still I'm curious what these paid internships were that weren't SA's.

I'm surprised he didn't try to do a clerkship; even just a state clerkship. (Unless he got no-offered; in which case, he needs to take the bar and tap some of his friends in BigLaw during the fall to see if they are hiring; I know someone who got a job this way last year who was no-offered).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:34 am

keg411 wrote:Did he have a SA or did he not want BigLaw? If he really had three paid jobs, I smell no-offer.
The other alternative is that he wasn't top 1% after 1L and was closer to top 10% and struck out at OCI that year.
It's also possible that he just struck out period - grades mean a LOT, but sometimes it just doesn't happen for the top people since there are so few jobs to go around at lower-ranked schools. I think it's more likely it was one of the first two scenarios I outlined, but you never know. Still I'm curious what these paid internships were that weren't SA's.

I'm surprised he didn't try to do a clerkship; even just a state clerkship. (Unless he got no-offered; in which case, he needs to take the bar and tap some of his friends in BigLaw during the fall to see if they are hiring; I know someone who got a job this way last year who was no-offered).
+1 to all this. Plus, people often exaggerate their grades when discussing them. It seems very very unlikely that the top 1% at BLS could end up unemployed if they bid reasonably and apply for numerous positions both out of OCI and after graduation.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:49 am

I'm surprised. I honestly think we are missing some information because a Brooklyn student in the top 10% should have secured something if he/she put time and effort into applying (and isn't awkward or special). There are too many jobs in NYC for that to happen.

Maybe he/she didn't apply to enough employers?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 am

Smells like flame. Are we talking about a 3L here? I know everyone graduating summa (about top 2%) and they all have great jobs.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:53 am

TBF, I do know of a few people in the top 10% who don't have jobs at the moment, but they will find things pretty easily if they are actively looking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:56 am

Apply to job postings on the job board, talk to the career center, contact anyone who he has ever worked with who liked his work.

Wait, why am I even responding to this -- it's obvious flame. There are only five guys this could be. One has a fed COA clerkship and the rest have top firm jobs.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A lot of hiring happens after bar results happen.
This. Hope is not lost.

Also, your friend must be socially or professionally inept if they are really in the top 1% without a job right now, even from BLS.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:30 pm

A professor of mine explained that even the smartest students will not get a job if they're socially awkward.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

shepdawg wrote:A professor of mine explained that even the smartest students will not get a job if they're socially awkward.
Wow, your professor is pretty smart. No wonder they get paid the big bucks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”