1L Summer Job Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Job Question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Hello everyone. I have secured a 1L summer position, but I'm not sure if I made the right decision. Being that I have no clue what 1L summer is actually supposed to look like, I'd like some advice. The position pays $12 an hour, but it's a small firm, and I was told that it involves administrative tasks such as filing, billing, answering phones, copying, etc. The firm does deal with a lot of litigation work (mostly matrimonial), and I was also told that I would assist in drafting things and maybe go to court sometimes along with an attorney. However, I can't help being a bit worried that since it involves administrative tasks, it would not be an ideal job for a 1L. So I was wondering, for others who have already worked during their 1L summer, is it normal to do administrative tasks, and does that get in the way of learning more and securing later employment? And does getting involved in a specific field of law this summer affect what I want to practice eventually?

Any comments will be great, thank you.

ggocat

Re: 1L Summer Job Question

Postby ggocat » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I was wondering, for others who have already worked during their 1L summer, is it normal to do administrative tasks, and does that get in the way of learning more and securing later employment? And does getting involved in a specific field of law this summer affect what I want to practice eventually?

I do not think it is normal to do very many administrative tasks. A few, OK.

But if you need the money and can't do anything else, it's better than doing something completely unrelated to law.

I do not think it will get in the way of securing later employment. It would be good, however, if you can have the opportunity to do some legal writing and court/deposition observation (as well as conference with the attorney(s) to get their feedback/perspective).

The field of law will not affect what you want to eventually practice.

Return to “Legal Employment”