Preferred class rank

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kdw94780

Preferred class rank

Postby kdw94780 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 am

Hi,

I am planning to bid on firms that are going to attend the Cook County Bar Association Diversity Fair in August. Yesterday, I received a list of firms that will be attending and their preferences or requirements. I'm an URM.

Few firms listed requirements unless they were something like 3.0 or top 50%. However, many firms (even ones that I did not think were that hard to get into) listed preferences like top 20% or top 15% etc, law review or journal, moot court

My question is if I'm not in the top 1/3 of the class but I make a secondary journal and interview well, will that be good enough to get me at least some interviews and maybe an offer?

Do they post these preferences just for show or what?

I go to a T20, which means not T14. Are they really going to favor someone who's top 15% at John Marshall over someone who's at mean or slightly below at a T20?

spanktheduck

Re: Preferred class rank

Postby spanktheduck » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 am

kdw94780 wrote:Hi,

I am planning to bid on firms that are going to attend the Cook County Bar Association Diversity Fair in August. Yesterday, I received a list of firms that will be attending and their preferences or requirements. I'm an URM.

Few firms listed requirements unless they were something like 3.0 or top 50%. However, many firms (even ones that I did not think were that hard to get into) listed preferences like top 20% or top 15% etc, law review or journal, moot court

My question is if I'm not in the top 1/3 of the class but I make a secondary journal and interview well, will that be good enough to get me at least some interviews and maybe an offer?

I go to a T20, which means not T14. Are they really going to favor someone who's top 15% at John Marshall over someone who's at mean or slightly below at a T20?

Ask your career services. Since your a T20, the firms might have a different cut off for your school. The firm criteria are for the vast majority of school, they do not generally apply to the higher ranked ones (which might or might not include your school).
Last edited by spanktheduck on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:22 am

kdw94780 wrote:Hi,

Look at how the selective the firm usually is, not how selective they are claiming to be here. Because like you said there will John Marshall students there and UChi students.

Is it lottery or preselect. If preselect, bid them all. What is the worst that could happen.

If Sidley Austin says they want top 20%, they mean it. If Nixon Peabody says they want top 10% they are lying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:48 am

I just made a post very similar to this so I thought I'd tag this one as well.

Return to “Legal Employment”