Lateraling/Bidding

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling/Bidding

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Looking at my career from a more holistic view, I want the experience of working at a prestigious T-something firm. However, I also would like to move back to a smaller market later in my career (re: 3-4 years after working as an associate elsewhere). To this end, my question is whether the prospect of lateraling from a t-10 firm to a smaller market is relatively easy and also whether I'd be at any advantage/disadvantage for doing so.

Thanks!

thesealocust

Re: Lateraling/Bidding

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:31 pm

There aren't T-10 firms strictly speaking, it's not like law schools. Geography and practice area are more important than whatever Vault is peddling. Look at chambers & partners for a more realistic view.

That being said, moving from a 'top' firm - however defined - to a firm in a smaller market is both common and advantageous from a career point of view. In moments of candor I have heard several attorneys from smaller market firms say as much flatly when asked about where to begin a legal career.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:01 am

There aren't T-10 firms strictly speaking

...but if you look at a lot of lateral postings, you'll see some firms asking for associates from a top 10 firm. What do you think that's referring to? My opinion: It's referring to about 15-20 firms that have a legitimate claim to being a top 10 firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:25 pm

as a follow-up, think there'd be hard feelings if I am a current SA at a firm in the smaller market and end up going to a T-something firm and then try to come back in 3 years?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:as a follow-up, think there'd be hard feelings if I am a current SA at a firm in the smaller market and end up going to a T-something firm and then try to come back in 3 years?

Nope.

Return to “Legal Employment”