Leverage by practice area

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
imchuckbass58

Leverage by practice area

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Does anyone have any idea (anecdotal or statistical) of leverage by practice area?

For instance, just by looking at NALP and the staffing of matters at my summer firm, I get the sense that leverage is higher in litigation than in corporate. Within corporate, I get the sense that practice areas like capital markets are more highly leveraged than, say, M&A.

Do other people agree? Any insight into other practice areas?

Zugzwang

Re: Leverage by practice area

Postby Zugzwang » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Depends on the firm.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Zugzwang wrote:Depends on the firm.

And the type of work being done inside the department. Lots of commodity work requires lots of associates to grind it out.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:28 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Does anyone have any idea (anecdotal or statistical) of leverage by practice area?

For instance, just by looking at NALP and the staffing of matters at my summer firm, I get the sense that leverage is higher in litigation than in corporate. Within corporate, I get the sense that practice areas like capital markets are more highly leveraged than, say, M&A.

Do other people agree? Any insight into other practice areas?

The trends you have noticed seem to be by and large accurate from my research.

The way firms use leverage seems to vary both between firms and between practice areas though. As an example, lit seems commonly high leverage with pyramid like staffing while capital markets seems commonly high leverage but with fewer associates on each deal - but more deals and more deals per partner.

Return to “Legal Employment”