~ 33% at Wash. U. Where to bid for OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

~ 33% at Wash. U. Where to bid for OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:54 pm

I have no idea how to bid or what bidding strategies to use. I've never researched it and I only have a general sketch of the V10/20/50/100 & NJL250. All I want is a market-paying job in NYC, Chicago, D.C., St. Louis, LA, or Dallas.

What are my chances? Am I looking safe? What firms to target? I heard I should probably eliminate the west coast and D.C. because they are impossible to crack right now. So should I gun for just NYC/Chi?

Thanks in advance.

stratocophic

Re: ~ 33% at Wash. U. Where to bid for OCI?

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have no idea how to bid or what bidding strategies to use. I've never researched it and I only have a general sketch of the V10/20/50/100 & NJL250. All I want is a market-paying job in NYC, Chicago, D.C., St. Louis, LA, or Dallas.

What are my chances? Am I looking safe? What firms to target? I heard I should probably eliminate the west coast and D.C. because they are impossible to crack right now. So should I gun for just NYC/Chi?

Thanks in advance.
http://xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=1666022&mc=20&forum_id=2#18172143

I'll just leave this here.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Interesting... exact same post on XOXO, only the school went from Michigan on there to Wash. U. on here....

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:10 pm

If you are truly at the 33% mark at WashU, apply to firms in secondary markets where you have connections and "less prestigious" NYC NLJ firms.

As far as NLJ goes, you are out at all of the major markets (DC, CA, TX, IL) except possibly NYC, so you should primarily target other locations where you have connections to.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:12 pm

:roll: 0Ls.
Last edited by stratocophic on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Lol. Turns out this thread is actually a 0L speculating on what he'd be able to pull if he went to WUSTL and landed in the top third. Gonna give him a little bit of the ol' banhammer for abusing the anonymous feature, but feel free to answer his question for posterity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:35 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Interesting... exact same post on XOXO, only the school went from Michigan on there to Wash. U. on here....
I dunno if it's just really subtle and I don't get it, or if it's one of those where they build the flame as they go like the "top 5% at CLS" dude. That was quality.

On the off chance that this isn't flame, Aberzombie's right. Maybe if you like a few of the lesser Chicago firms, but focus on NY and wherever back home is for you. 50 bids is probably a lot when considering the number of employers at OCI, so you can probably afford to diversify a bit. Also, you'd probably better be mailing every firm in every city you want if you want to make market from the 33% mark.

To be clear, top 33% Right at the cutoff.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:48 pm

dailygrind wrote:Lol. Turns out this thread is actually a 0L speculating on what he'd be able to pull if he went to WUSTL and landed in the top third. Gonna give him a little bit of the ol' banhammer for abusing the anonymous feature, but feel free to answer his question for posterity.

Look, I try not to get all up in the mods' grill, but this is fucking ridiculous. Do you know what kind of scorn the poor kid would be subjected to if his peers found out that the only reason he's going to law school is to get a job? There's a huge need for anonymity in cases like this. What if you showed up on the first day and people realized you desired employment? You'd be ostracized from the start.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Your posts make me lol, sealocust.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:14 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Your posts make me lol, sealocust.

That's why I get out of bed in the mornings, f.supp.

Return to “Legal Employment”