approx. CLS GPA for different firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jbagelboy

Re: approx. CLS GPA for different firms

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am

Yea, there are a few more median/non-Stone folks snagging offers at PW/STB/DPW now than in 2010-2012. Still, these are primarily honors bids: for c/o 2015, Davis Polk was 95% honors, and STB and PW were both in the 80's. C/O 2016 had some abberations that may or may not continue into 2017-18, so watch for your honors distribution sheet when its released by OCS.

Also keep in mind that "Stone" has become a more expansive category since B-'s were eliminated from the curve. Stone used to be top 28-33% and now its more reliably top 37-40%. So certainly a large cut of the class is accessing elite firms than five years ago.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue May 24, 2016 12:10 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Yea, there are a few more median/non-Stone folks snagging offers at PW/STB/DPW now than in 2010-2012. Still, these are primarily honors bids: for c/o 2015, Davis Polk was 95% honors, and STB and PW were both in the 80's. C/O 2016 had some abberations that may or may not continue into 2017-18, so watch for your honors distribution sheet when its released by OCS.

Also keep in mind that "Stone" has become a more expansive category since B-'s were eliminated from the curve. Stone used to be top 28-33% and now its more reliably top 37-40%. So certainly a large cut of the class is accessing elite firms than five years ago.

Conversely the market at the more selective firms has gotten tighter since more people are now applying. Choosey firms can be choosey even with regard to stone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 2:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Yea, there are a few more median/non-Stone folks snagging offers at PW/STB/DPW now than in 2010-2012. Still, these are primarily honors bids: for c/o 2015, Davis Polk was 95% honors, and STB and PW were both in the 80's. C/O 2016 had some abberations that may or may not continue into 2017-18, so watch for your honors distribution sheet when its released by OCS.

Oh, is that what's going on? Back in my day Stone meant something and now we get all picky about low Stones, and I didn't realize they'd inflated it.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 24, 2016 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, is that what's going on? Back in my day Stone meant something and now we get all picky about low Stones, and I didn't realize they'd inflated it.

I mean, the GPA cutoff is the same so its not directly inflated, but more 1Ls each year meet that cutoff than in the past because the lowest grade you'll receive now is a B, and the distribution allows for a few more A-'s and B+'s.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Has Kent become inflated also?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has Kent become inflated also?

I don't know, I don't think so. There are so few of them that it's hardly relevant. PM me if you want more details on that, but briefly, for class of 2016, there were only ~12 eligible RBG scholars (9 recipients since 2 or 3 were abroad for all or part of 3L). Add in the handful of transfers, who were almost certainly kent, and maybe assume another couple who received it as a 1L and not as a 2L or 3L (which would be rare since its so much easier as upperclassmen), and you'd have about 20 total as 1Ls. That's like ~5%, which is what it was traditionally I think.

Class of 2014 and 2015 had a few more, maybe 6%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 3:05 pm

What do you mean by the transfers? Do they become Kent for 1L or something?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you mean by the transfers? Do they become Kent for 1L or something?

a couple folks (<5) transferred to YLS and SLS from CLS after 1L year. It's safe to assume they had really good grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 3:09 pm

Oh I see. Also I PM'd you.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue May 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Even if Kent is inflated, it's so rare that at most it increases a couple and at most a handful. The whole low stone thing is overblown. For the most part, older employers don't seem to be privy to the changes at the school in terms of grading, so they don't know about the inflation of stone. If you are stone, most firms are open to you, except a few that are readily identifiable. That said, you also have to show your personality.

The only thing is that stone may lure some people into a false sense of confidence that makes them only bid selective firms. I know a few people who struggled that way.

Return to “Legal Employment”