HLS Summer Mock Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HLS Summer Mock Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:24 am

I wonder if there are any 2Ls or 3Ls (or maybe 1Ls with similar knowledge) that have some experience with the Summer Mock Interview Program at HLS.

I know it is a great opportunity to meet attorneys at a firm before EIP in August. OCS is responsible for the match-ups and I was fortunate enough to be matched with WilmerHale, Boston. I guess my question is, is this match-up in anyway indicative of grades that are due to come out on June 8th or is the match-up truly random? Of course, the locale of the firm is not random at all because OCS requires each student participant to report their summer location. But I understand that WilmerHale is quite a selective firm for OCI, so I wonder if OCS took my grades into consideration when they made this decision. Though I acknowledge the possibility, I simply do not understand why OCS would send a student to a top firm if they have crappy grades. My first semester was rather unsatisfactory, so I'm quite dependent on my second semester to secure a great offer in August.

I apologize if I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I guess I'm just anxious for Wednesday. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

EijiMiyake

Re: HLS Summer Mock Interview

Postby EijiMiyake » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:24 am

I'm also a 2L, so I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but that's not really the point of the mock interview program - it's to help you figure out what firms are going to ask and become more comfortable with the interview process. I think any value it adds to your candidacy is secondary - it seems unlikely that they would try to match you with firms that would hire you based on grades. That would just be too much work for OCS.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder if there are any 2Ls or 3Ls (or maybe 1Ls with similar knowledge) that have some experience with the Summer Mock Interview Program at HLS.

I know it is a great opportunity to meet attorneys at a firm before EIP in August. OCS is responsible for the match-ups and I was fortunate enough to be matched with WilmerHale, Boston. I guess my question is, is this match-up in anyway indicative of grades that are due to come out on June 8th or is the match-up truly random? Of course, the locale of the firm is not random at all because OCS requires each student participant to report their summer location. But I understand that WilmerHale is quite a selective firm for OCI, so I wonder if OCS took my grades into consideration when they made this decision. Though I acknowledge the possibility, I simply do not understand why OCS would send a student to a top firm if they have crappy grades. My first semester was rather unsatisfactory, so I'm quite dependent on my second semester to secure a great offer in August.

I apologize if I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I guess I'm just anxious for Wednesday. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I think you've got some wishful thinking going on.

Alumni volunteered to help students with their interviewing skills. That you might have no chance of getting hired by the firm they work at doesn't need factor into the equation. Your ability to learn from this partner should be at the top of your priorities. Take the interview seriously and then listen to the feedback.

Hopefully did improve your grades, but I wouldn't be trying to read the tea leaves of this "match."

EDIT: Realized this sounded harsh. Didn't mean for it to be. Good luck with grades, but don't worry about them other than with bidding (and you might get some advice from this partner). You'll have plenty of opportunities coming your way as long as you don't walk in feeling defeated.
Last edited by LurkerNoMore on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Lol I understand your worries about grades with them coming out on Wednesday, but from my reading of the emails about the interview training the decision is based completely on your locale. GL on Wed. tho, just remember that even with just P's you'll be ok for a competitive job out of oci if that's what u want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:24 am

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I am reading far too into it. And no, none of you were harsh at all.

Good luck on Wednesday :)

Return to “Legal Employment”