Beards, OCI, and You.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby seatown12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
seatown12 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've turned down two jobs over a policy like that (not law jobs). It's bullshit, and I don't want to work for a place that has a policy like that. If they are going to micromanage your facial hair, then what else are they going to try and do?

Think of all the jobs for which you wore a suit to the interview even though the job itself definitely did not require formal attire. Same general concept.

Not really.

Someone could easily make an analogous argument to yours stating "if they are going to micromanage your wardrobe, then what else are they going to try to do?"

Just shave for the interview and grow the thing back once you've got the job, at which point no one will care. So easy and obvious.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 12024
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:30 pm

seatown12 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
seatown12 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've turned down two jobs over a policy like that (not law jobs). It's bullshit, and I don't want to work for a place that has a policy like that. If they are going to micromanage your facial hair, then what else are they going to try and do?

Think of all the jobs for which you wore a suit to the interview even though the job itself definitely did not require formal attire. Same general concept.

Not really.

Someone could easily make an analogous argument to yours stating "if they are going to micromanage your wardrobe, then what else are they going to try to do?"

Just shave for the interview and grow the thing back once you've got the job, at which point no one will care. So easy and obvious.



No. If they aren't enthralled with a beard at interviews, whose to say Renzo's scenario won't apply?

It's fine if that works for you. It doesn't for me. If a place is so petty and stupid as to not hire someone based on a beard or no beard, then I really have no interest in working there anyway.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2972
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby Tanicius » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:08 pm

kalvano wrote:It's fine if that works for you. It doesn't for me. If a place is so petty and stupid as to not hire someone based on a beard or no beard, then I really have no interest in working there anyway.


It's not necessarily the firm itself. It could be something as stupid as the whims of the interviewer. "I just didn't like the way that beard looked, I dunno." That stuff can happen.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Tanicius wrote:I'd only wear the beard if you're concerned like me that without it you'll look ridic young.


lol, every once and a while someone tells me that I look like I'm 17/18 years old (and at that age I'd hear 14/15). Maybe I should try to grow a beard, though it takes a while for me and still comes out a little patchy. *sigh*

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:Had a beard through all of 1L firm recruiting, and it had no ill effect. I was basically told be OCS that I should shave for certain markets (like DC) but that firms in California/the West in general didn't care.

Don't you go to SLS? I would think that HYS on your resume would outweigh a firm's concern over facial hair. Shit, I bet if you were interviewing at Yale firms wouldn't care if you looked like this:

Image

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby Borhas » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:27 pm

people that can pull off beards know who they are, others should not make the attempt

User avatar
williambrianlondon
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:47 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby williambrianlondon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:38 pm

I had no problems with my beard, but don't walk in looking like the guys from ZZ Top.

Keep it neat.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby Verity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:02 pm

What about fake beards?



deleted

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2133
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Borhas wrote:people that can pull off beards know who they are, others should not make the attempt

This.

Kretzy
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Had a beard through all of 1L firm recruiting, and it had no ill effect. I was basically told be OCS that I should shave for certain markets (like DC) but that firms in California/the West in general didn't care.

Don't you go to SLS? I would think that HYS on your resume would outweigh a firm's concern over facial hair. Shit, I bet if you were interviewing at Yale firms wouldn't care if you looked like this:

Image


I do. Thankfully, I don't know anyone who looks like that guy, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302727
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:39 pm

Do you need to shave everyday of OCI? If I shave consecutive days, my neck gets very irritated and collects razor burn. Is somewhere on the spectrum between clean shaven and five o clock shadow acceptable, or do I need to go clean shaven every day and accept the bumps and abrasions, even though it will look terrible?

foregetaboutdre
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby foregetaboutdre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you need to shave everyday of OCI? If I shave consecutive days, my neck gets very irritated and collects razor burn. Is somewhere on the spectrum between clean shaven and five o clock shadow acceptable, or do I need to go clean shaven every day and accept the bumps and abrasions, even though it will look terrible?


I did and I have the same problem re feeling like shit shaving consecutive days. During my SA, I've gotten used to consecutive shaving. A piece of advice is shave while in the shower. The steam helps out my face. Just don't shave your sideburns off (you can always touch up when you get out).

Anonymous User
Posts: 302727
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 am

Wore a beard during OCI. Reasoning was I had strong enough grades to risk it; I didn't want to be hired by a firm for which a beard was a dealbreaker. Students with my grades at my school are pretty much 100% Big Law if you want it.

I believe I significantly underperformed where the average student with my grades did. Out of 25 screeners, 4 call backs and only 1 offer. My peers averaged closer to 6-10 CBs and 2-3 offers, some even better.

Granted, I think I am probably a poor interviewer for the OCI format anyway. Hard to say whether the beard was a factor. I've done several mock interviews bearded and never received a comment about it. I interviewed for my clerkship bearded, too, and it apparently wasn't a problem. And the firm that did choose me turned out to be an awesome fit, and i'm glad I ended up there.

But if I had the chance to do OCI again? I'd shave.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302727
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 am

There are some aloe based serums and lotions that will take care of exactly this problem (or at least they do for me, and my neck looks like a battlefield if I shave daily without them). Check out CVS or if you fancy, Kiehls.

foregetaboutdre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you need to shave everyday of OCI? If I shave consecutive days, my neck gets very irritated and collects razor burn. Is somewhere on the spectrum between clean shaven and five o clock shadow acceptable, or do I need to go clean shaven every day and accept the bumps and abrasions, even though it will look terrible?


I did and I have the same problem re feeling like shit shaving consecutive days. During my SA, I've gotten used to consecutive shaving. A piece of advice is shave while in the shower. The steam helps out my face. Just don't shave your sideburns off (you can always touch up when you get out).

cavalier1138
Posts: 4643
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wore a beard during OCI. Reasoning was I had strong enough grades to risk it; I didn't want to be hired by a firm for which a beard was a dealbreaker. Students with my grades at my school are pretty much 100% Big Law if you want it.

I believe I significantly underperformed where the average student with my grades did. Out of 25 screeners, 4 call backs and only 1 offer. My peers averaged closer to 6-10 CBs and 2-3 offers, some even better.

Granted, I think I am probably a poor interviewer for the OCI format anyway. Hard to say whether the beard was a factor. I've done several mock interviews bearded and never received a comment about it. I interviewed for my clerkship bearded, too, and it apparently wasn't a problem. And the firm that did choose me turned out to be an awesome fit, and i'm glad I ended up there.

But if I had the chance to do OCI again? I'd shave.


I am 100% confident that this had nothing to do with your facial hair.

User avatar
existentialcrisis
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby existentialcrisis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:There are some aloe based serums and lotions that will take care of exactly this problem (or at least they do for me, and my neck looks like a battlefield if I shave daily without them). Check out CVS or if you fancy, Kiehls.


Mind sharing some good brands? I have this problem as well.

MrT
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby MrT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 am

existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are some aloe based serums and lotions that will take care of exactly this problem (or at least they do for me, and my neck looks like a battlefield if I shave daily without them). Check out CVS or if you fancy, Kiehls.


Mind sharing some good brands? I have this problem as well.

http://www.getjackblack.com/Products/Bump-Fix-Razor-Bump-and-Ingrown-Hair-Solution-with-Salicylic-Acid-Aloe-Leaf-and-Organic-Chamomile__20220.aspx

User avatar
esq
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby esq » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm

If your beard looks good, and you like the way you look with it, don't worry about shaving it. Much better to go in there with confidence and be yourself than to feel off your game because your face looks all sickly white below your cheekbones! If you have what it takes to be a good hire and compete for the job, a beard won't be the difference between getting the job or not (unless it's like ZZ Top style or something--at least make sure it is business trim). If it does make a difference then fuck them... you don't want to work for assholes like that anyway.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.