Beards, OCI, and You.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seatown12

Re: Beards, OCI, and You.

Postby seatown12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
seatown12 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've turned down two jobs over a policy like that (not law jobs). It's bullshit, and I don't want to work for a place that has a policy like that. If they are going to micromanage your facial hair, then what else are they going to try and do?

Think of all the jobs for which you wore a suit to the interview even though the job itself definitely did not require formal attire. Same general concept.

Not really.

Someone could easily make an analogous argument to yours stating "if they are going to micromanage your wardrobe, then what else are they going to try to do?"

Just shave for the interview and grow the thing back once you've got the job, at which point no one will care. So easy and obvious.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:30 pm

seatown12 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
seatown12 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've turned down two jobs over a policy like that (not law jobs). It's bullshit, and I don't want to work for a place that has a policy like that. If they are going to micromanage your facial hair, then what else are they going to try and do?

Think of all the jobs for which you wore a suit to the interview even though the job itself definitely did not require formal attire. Same general concept.

Not really.

Someone could easily make an analogous argument to yours stating "if they are going to micromanage your wardrobe, then what else are they going to try to do?"

Just shave for the interview and grow the thing back once you've got the job, at which point no one will care. So easy and obvious.

No. If they aren't enthralled with a beard at interviews, whose to say Renzo's scenario won't apply?

It's fine if that works for you. It doesn't for me. If a place is so petty and stupid as to not hire someone based on a beard or no beard, then I really have no interest in working there anyway.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:08 pm

kalvano wrote:It's fine if that works for you. It doesn't for me. If a place is so petty and stupid as to not hire someone based on a beard or no beard, then I really have no interest in working there anyway.

It's not necessarily the firm itself. It could be something as stupid as the whims of the interviewer. "I just didn't like the way that beard looked, I dunno." That stuff can happen.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Tanicius wrote:I'd only wear the beard if you're concerned like me that without it you'll look ridic young.

lol, every once and a while someone tells me that I look like I'm 17/18 years old (and at that age I'd hear 14/15). Maybe I should try to grow a beard, though it takes a while for me and still comes out a little patchy. *sigh*

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:Had a beard through all of 1L firm recruiting, and it had no ill effect. I was basically told be OCS that I should shave for certain markets (like DC) but that firms in California/the West in general didn't care.

Don't you go to SLS? I would think that HYS on your resume would outweigh a firm's concern over facial hair. Shit, I bet if you were interviewing at Yale firms wouldn't care if you looked like this:

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:27 pm

people that can pull off beards know who they are, others should not make the attempt

williambrianlondon

Postby williambrianlondon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:38 pm

I had no problems with my beard, but don't walk in looking like the guys from ZZ Top.

Keep it neat.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:02 pm

What about fake beards?

deleted

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Borhas wrote:people that can pull off beards know who they are, others should not make the attempt

This.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Had a beard through all of 1L firm recruiting, and it had no ill effect. I was basically told be OCS that I should shave for certain markets (like DC) but that firms in California/the West in general didn't care.

Don't you go to SLS? I would think that HYS on your resume would outweigh a firm's concern over facial hair. Shit, I bet if you were interviewing at Yale firms wouldn't care if you looked like this:

I do. Thankfully, I don't know anyone who looks like that guy, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”