Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
What the f.supp?
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby What the f.supp? » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:01 pm

I realize that this could (and probably does) differ among firms, but I am just curious. If I am lucky enough to get an offer, does this usually happen during the summer while I am still working, on my last day, just after/during my final performance evaluation, shortly after returning to school, months after, etc. etc. Hearsay is totally acceptable!

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Every firm does this different. Mine was a couple weeks after my review.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:04 pm

PKSebben wrote:Every firm does this different. Mine was a couple weeks after my review.

When was your review? At/near your exit date?

What the f.supp?
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby What the f.supp? » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:06 pm

From your experience, what types of things are commonly discussed in making the offer decision? Other than the obvious ones like competency and the person's "fit" with the firm. My firm made it abundantly clear that the ratio of billable/non-billables is not factored in whatsoever.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Renzo wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Every firm does this different. Mine was a couple weeks after my review.

When was your review? At/near your exit date?


day before

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:07 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:From your experience, what types of things are commonly discussed in making the offer decision? Other than the obvious ones like competency and the person's "fit" with the firm. My firm made it abundantly clear that the ratio of billable/non-billables is not factored in whatsoever.


My firm went through each of my assignments, asked how I thought I did on it, and then read to me the partner / assigning associate's comments.

What the f.supp?
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby What the f.supp? » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Any idea as to how the decision to offer is rendered? Voting among those with whom you worked during the summer? Partners in the practice group? The recruiter people?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:13 pm

My firm told us our first day that they meet a week after we leave and that we'll find out soon thereafter. They didn't say who "they was" - just the hiring comm or the partners

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:41 pm

At my firm (NYC biglaw), offers go out the second-to-last day of the summer program.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby iagolives » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my firm (NYC biglaw), offers go out the second-to-last day of the summer program.


That's horrible! So, if you are no-offered, you still have to show up at work the next day to congratulate those that got an offer and see those lawyers who rejected you? That setup sounds awkward for everyone involved.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby Moxie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:51 pm

iagolives wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At my firm (NYC biglaw), offers go out the second-to-last day of the summer program.


That's horrible! So, if you are no-offered, you still have to show up at work the next day to congratulate those that got an offer and see those lawyers who rejected you? That setup sounds awkward for everyone involved.


My firm has a similar situation, but last year offers were 100% so luckily no awkwardness involved. I don't even think most people showed up on time after the huge festivities they had the night before the last day. :D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Moxie wrote:
iagolives wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At my firm (NYC biglaw), offers go out the second-to-last day of the summer program.


That's horrible! So, if you are no-offered, you still have to show up at work the next day to congratulate those that got an offer and see those lawyers who rejected you? That setup sounds awkward for everyone involved.


My firm has a similar situation, but last year offers were 100% so luckily no awkwardness involved. I don't even think most people showed up on time after the huge festivities they had the night before the last day. :D


This. It's almost always a 100% offer-rate. That Thursday night could be one of the best nights of my life.

::rolls-up sleeves, puts on a big smile, crosses fingers, and continues to work hard this summer::

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:33 pm

At firms that give end of summer offers, I doubt it's common for people to get no-offered without seeing it coming a mile away. Firms that are more selective in who they give offers too seem to wait to make offers until some time after the program has ended for that very reason.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:42 am

thesealocust wrote:At firms that give end of summer offers, I doubt it's common for people to get no-offered without seeing it coming a mile away.


TCR.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby jkay » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:20 pm

PKSebben wrote:My firm went through each of my assignments, asked how I thought I did on it, and then read to me the partner / assigning associate's comments.


Holy hell, that sounds intense. Did you get much feedback from those partners/associates during the actual summer or were you going in blind?

What the f.supp?
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:08 pm

I'd like to hear more about this. I can't help but constantly wonder about how offers work (despite associates saying things to SAs like "when you're here next year, you'll do [task] this way") since my projects have all been extremely hard and in areas that are unfamiliar to me.

I don't think I'm the only one worrying either--today at lunch one of the fellow summers said he thinks he's doomed because he was slightly picking his nose in his office when a partner he's doing a project for walked by. I was this close (fingers close together) to busting out laughing!

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:I'd like to hear more about this. I can't help but constantly wonder about how offers work (despite associates saying things to SAs like "when you're here next year, you'll do [task] this way") since my projects have all been extremely hard and in areas that are unfamiliar to me.

I don't think I'm the only one worrying either--today at lunch one of the fellow summers said he thinks he's doomed because he was slightly picking his nose in his office when a partner he's doing a project for walked by. I was this close (fingers close together) to busting out laughing!


Best case scenario: On your second to last night, the firm hosts an event. While at the event, a partner from the hiring committee presents bottles of expense Champagne and announces everyone got an offer. A sealed bottle will be given to any associate who accepts on the spot. Everyone gets shitfaced.

Good scenario: In your last week, a mentor from the firm approaches all - or almost all - of the summers to extend offers individually.

Average/positive scenario: On your last day at the office, you have an exit interview. After receiving some reviews of your week, you receive a permanent offer.

Bad scenario: The firm makes it clear no offers will be given until after the summer program. Within a few weeks of the end of the summer you receive a phone call give you an offer or politely thanking you for your service to the firm and wishing you the best in your future endeavors.

Nightmare scenario: The economy collapses in the middle of your summer and the majority of the summers fail to get offers.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Summer Associate Offers - When do they happen?

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 am

thesealocust wrote:Bad scenario: The firm makes it clear no offers will be given until after the summer program. Within a few weeks of the end of the summer you receive a phone call give you an offer or politely thanking you for your service to the firm and wishing you the best in your future endeavors.

I've heard of at least five V30 firms that do it this way, even when they expect to be giving 100% offer rates, so I don't think it's necessarily "bad". It's obviously not as good as getting an offer before you leave, but if the firm is giving everyone an offer in the end, it doesn't seem like a huge deal.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.