Summer Associate Billable Rates Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Billable Rates

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Just curious of what the market rate looks like. Mine is $185/hour (biglaw firm) and I can't imagine that my firm actually bills a client this whole amount for the little amount of (average at best) work I am able to do in an hour.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Re: Summer Associate Billable Rates

Post by What the f.supp? » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:46 pm

$185.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:07 pm

$250 (biglaw)

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:11 pm

It's very client specific. Your rate is likely accurate, but substantial portions of your hours (up to and including all of them) will likely be written off by the partner in charge of billing for each project before the client sees the bill. Exactly how much will depend on the client, the firm, and the work you're doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Just wondering how many client billable hours people have on average each day. Between lunches and extra trainings, I feel like I'm only billing clients about four hours per day. Should I be concerned?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering how many client billable hours people have on average each day. Between lunches and extra trainings, I feel like I'm only billing clients about four hours per day. Should I be concerned?
No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:34 pm

$245 big

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Technically $250, although I doubt any of it gets billed at my firm.
Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering how many client billable hours people have on average each day. Between lunches and extra trainings, I feel like I'm only billing clients about four hours per day. Should I be concerned?
Not unless your firm told you otherwise. At my firm, we are required to "account" for at least seven hours each day, which includes lunches, training, and other firm-sponsored events. So if I take a two hour lunch, go to a one hour training session, and spend four hours on a project, that will suffice. I know of at least one firm that expects eight billable hours from its summers each day, but that is certainly not the norm.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Technically $250, although I doubt any of it gets billed at my firm.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Mine is 185 I think too, though I seriously doubt the extent to which clients pay for this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:25 pm

At my firm we use a program to enter our hours and it lets you see your total hours, as well as hours the firm billed. Only about 3 hours of my work has actually been billed from what I can see. That seems pretty accurate to me.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my firm we use a program to enter our hours and it lets you see your total hours, as well as hours the firm billed. Only about 3 hours of my work has actually been billed from what I can see. That seems pretty accurate to me.
If you're referring to DTE, the billable hours don't necessarily actually get billed to the client.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”