Boalt 3L worth returning to school? (Employment Prospects)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
boaltrising3l

Re: Boalt 3L worth returning to school? (Employment Prospects)

Postby boaltrising3l » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Nothing about this is flame, I will say in our defense if people were more willing to leave California 30% would be too low. But based on anecdote and my own conversations with the career office 30% is the guess. And re: USC and UCLA. Those schools are at about 15-20%, based on talking to friends who i worked with during 1L summer from those schools, Top 10% or LR was basically a requirement to be competitive.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:18 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:Nothing about this is flame, I will say in our defense if people were more willing to leave California 30% would be too low. But based on anecdote and my own conversations with the career office 30% is the guess. And re: USC and UCLA. Those schools are at about 15-20%, based on talking to friends who i worked with during 1L summer from those schools, Top 10% or LR was basically a requirement to be competitive.

If you are not a flame, then your situation is truly unfortunate and I do wish you the best of luck. It's also neither here nor there, but I had thought that DC was the toughest market to crack and so your post was informative if it was accurate.

In general it is tough not to be skeptical of posts on TLS that paint an unexpectedly negative picture with regards to job prospects for Boalt students given that a number of posters on TLS are unusually (and unreasonably) passionate about their dislike of the school.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:20 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:In general it is tough not to be skeptical of posts on TLS that paint an unexpectedly negative picture with regards to job prospects for Boalt students given that a number of posters on TLS are unusually (and unreasonably) passionate about their dislike of the school.

If Boalt really is only placing 30ish% of their class into biglaw, I would think a passionate dislike for the school would be pretty reasonable.

Curry

Postby Curry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:21 pm

I find it hard to believe that berkeley is placing worse now than they did in 2009

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:26 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:In general it is tough not to be skeptical of posts on TLS that paint an unexpectedly negative picture with regards to job prospects for Boalt students given that a number of posters on TLS are unusually (and unreasonably) passionate about their dislike of the school.

If Boalt really is only placing 30ish% of their class into biglaw, I would think a passionate dislike for the school would be pretty reasonable.

Circular reasoning.

I love The Wire though.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

Circular reasoning.

I love The Wire though.
LOLCI because... people... hate it?

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:34 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:Trying to decide right now a long with some other friends from school if it's worth paying the 49k in state tuition for next year:

Relevant info and employment interests:

I am interested in either working for a firm or fed or stategov job (clerkship or not) so long as its not public interest.
With current grades back I'd guess conservatively I'm top 25% of the class, perhaps a bit better.

Struck out at OCI due to bad bidding strategy. In any case, most 3Ls I talked to who did not have SA positions were going to graduate unemployed or doc-reviewing for a couple dollars over minimum wage.

My question is would it be realistic for me to return for full time employment expecting to make at least 15 dollars an hour? I have prior work experience and probably could go back to my old job, so I'm wondering if attaining the degree is worth it.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Care to elborate on the willing to leave California thing - are people looking for NY firms finding more success?

boaltrising3l

Postby boaltrising3l » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Curry wrote:I find it hard to believe that berkeley is placing worse now than they did in 2009

The 2009 placement numbers are not out, they refer to 2008. Actually, I really love Boalt as a school, its been an awesome experience and I'm living it up right now before i get absolutely f*cked on loan money.

Re: NY, yes i know people who didnt get a single cali callback who got NY offers. NY is the way to look, but then again Biglaw in NY has huge hours and low QOL.

Curry

Postby Curry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:
Curry wrote:I find it hard to believe that berkeley is placing worse now than they did in 2009

The 2009 placement numbers are not out, they refer to 2008. Actually, I really love Boalt as a school, its been an awesome experience and I'm living it up right now before i get absolutely f*cked on loan money.

Re: NY, yes i know people who didnt get a single cali callback who got NY offers. NY is the way to look, but then again Biglaw in NY has huge hours and low QOL.

Sorry. Meant 2008.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:Circular reasoning.

I love The Wire though.

Right. But it's also a faulty assumption to think someone is flaming because their claims about placement don't agree with your impressions which are based on numbers that are a couple of years old.

Reliable Boalt 2L (Edit: Rising 3L) posters are needed to really debunk it or support it.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Reliable Boalt 2L posters are needed to really debunk it or support it.

Agreed.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:47 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:Nothing about this is flame, I will say in our defense if people were more willing to leave California 30% would be too low. But based on anecdote and my own conversations with the career office 30% is the guess. And re: USC and UCLA. Those schools are at about 15-20%, based on talking to friends who i worked with during 1L summer from those schools, Top 10% or LR was basically a requirement to be competitive.

This is the single most depressing thing I have ever read on this site.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:00 pm

I don't think you should drop out.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:01 pm

sunynp wrote:I don't think you should drop out.

I don't think so either. Top 25% is competitive for Fed gov. IMO that's better than big law.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Unless OCS has given out statistics its hard to really say because, as posters above have mentioned, students with SAs will be vocal, while students who strike out aren't exactly advertising that. 30% seems low, but I would not at all be surprised by B placing much lower than NW and D. California is really hurting economically, and B isn't even tops in the state...

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:00 pm

2LLLL wrote:Unless OCS has given out statistics its hard to really say because, as posters above have mentioned, students with SAs will be vocal, while students who strike out aren't exactly advertising that. 30% seems low, but I would not at all be surprised by B placing much lower than NW and D. California is really hurting economically, and B isn't even tops in the state...

but it is the #2 school in a state with a population of 37 million, and stanford's class size is only 170

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 pm

i am personally so blown away by this thread. if boalt top 25% is striking out, what on earth will happen to those of us heading to USC/ UCLA?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm

(1) Unless CSO publishes data, nobody will have meaningful estimates of employment. It all depends on the friends you keep, and as has been brought up, people with jobs are much more apt to chat about jobs.

(2) The market sucks hard, it's completely possible that Boalt placed under 50%. Speculating to the exact percentage point would be totally pointless. But I know people with good grades and no jobs, and it's not nearly universally tied to shitty personalities. There's a lot of unrealistic 0L/1L "but but but it's a T14 school it couldn't be that bad could it!" going on in here.

(3) As a meta point, I find the whole 'calling flame' thing obnoxious as hell. You don't have to believe the OP, but what does it add to turn this thread into a detective story? I'd seriously be in favor of a lightly enforced 'no calling flame' rule. The best way to handle obvious trolls is to just let the thread die. If it's truly obvious it's a flame (i.e. IP address matches somebody who does juvenile shit like that, such as thesealocust) the mods will be investigating and locking/banning anyway.

NarwhalPunter wrote:Wtf? So this would put UCLA/USC at what, 15%? Is that number possible?

Easily.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:(3) As a meta point, I find the whole 'calling flame' thing obnoxious as hell. You don't have to believe the OP, but what does it add to turn this thread into a detective story? I'd seriously be in favor of a lightly enforced 'no calling flame' rule. The best way to handle obvious trolls is to just let the thread die. If it's truly obvious it's a flame (i.e. IP address matches somebody who does juvenile shit like that, such as thesealocust) the mods will be investigating and locking/banning anyway.

Well, sometimes it's obnoxious to summarily call other people obnoxious.

If someone posted something (unexpectedly) negative about Upenn (I'm assuming you are going there based on your profile), would you not want to clarify the validity of that statement, especially in the context of a website where people DO flame?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
thesealocust wrote:(3) As a meta point, I find the whole 'calling flame' thing obnoxious as hell. You don't have to believe the OP, but what does it add to turn this thread into a detective story? I'd seriously be in favor of a lightly enforced 'no calling flame' rule. The best way to handle obvious trolls is to just let the thread die. If it's truly obvious it's a flame (i.e. IP address matches somebody who does juvenile shit like that, such as thesealocust) the mods will be investigating and locking/banning anyway.

Well, sometimes it's obnoxious to summarily call other people obnoxious.

If someone posted something (unexpectedly) negative about Upenn (I'm assuming you are going there based on your profile), would you not want to clarify the validity of that statement, especially in the context of a website where people DO flame?

Nope.

plum

Postby plum » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:30 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Damn as a future Boalt 1L who just chose Boalt over CCNP etc. because I wanted to work in California the OP is scaring the crap out of me...I think I might have to stop reading TLS...

this sounds like a terrible decision.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 pm

plum wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Damn as a future Boalt 1L who just chose Boalt over CCNP etc. because I wanted to work in California the OP is scaring the crap out of me...I think I might have to stop reading TLS...

Not reading TLS or my choice? :lol: If you are referring to my choice its too late to change my mind so I guess I'll have to make the best of it...I'm not paying sticker and I'm at T10 in the market where I want to work...many people are in worse situations and whats done is done... just saying the Boalt doom and gloom around here is pretty intense.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm

plum wrote:

Well in response to thesealocust who would chose not to respond to these types of posts:

Not challenging the validity of these types of posts leads to these threads turning into overt anti-Boalt trolling as in the above.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:41 pm

top 25% at cali's (debatably) second best lawl school can't get a cali job? in the most populous state in the country? holy shiz

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:51 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Not reading TLS or my choice? :lol: If you are referring to my choice its too late to change my mind so I guess I'll have to make the best of it...I'm not paying sticker and I'm at T10 in the market where I want to work...many people are in worse situations and whats done is done... just saying the Boalt doom and gloom around here is pretty intense.

jtemp320. PM me if you'd like. I'll be at Boalt with you next year, and I certainly think you should not regret your decision based on this thread.

Return to “Legal Employment”